SGOTM 15 - One Short Straw

Good game One Short Straws! Nice job making the donut all pink :D

Well done, OSS. You can go and look at the other team threads now. Please don't post in the ones that are still playing.

Great work! Thanks for putting in all of that playing time, ZPV! For someone who originally thought that he might not be playing any turns, you really helped to carry us through!

A great thanks to everyone on the team. We played a solid game and I am proud of each and every one of you for your contributions to the team and your efforts to work through adversity to come out on the other side with harmony.

A team's success is less based on how well they are playing the game--and it's a lot easier for everyone to feel good when things are going their way, as planned/hoped for--but it is when setbacks and struggles are thrown a team's way that the true measure of the players and their willingness to work together through their obstacles, both in-game and diplomatically within the team's politics, shines through and rears its head. I am very pleased with our efforts and successes to come through as a team, continue to work as a team, and finish off as a team, and you should feel proud of that accomplishment, too! :goodjob:

soundjata said:
Good game One Short Straws! Nice job making the donut all pink
I think that beating down on all of those Toku faces eventually became our unilaterally most fulfilling goal. :D Sometimes one has to go out and face their nightmares head on, and I'm sure that we're not the only team who had visions of Sugar Plum Tokus floating through their dreams.

Congrats OSS. Domination on this map was no easy feat. You are the only team that pulled it off. Quite a game at the end with the English Redcoat stack. Neil trully tested your team to the limit on this one. ZPV did a great job clearing those final 40 or so turns.

It's all over. Gandhi won a Domination victory in AD1610, after spreading BuddhHinduism to the world.

Our culture took over the entire donut, and one tile of Mansa's former land :rolleyes:

Good job ZPV!

Thanks team for letting me observe. I feel I've learned alot just watching

Well done guys, you proved to everyone that military was very achievable on this map, and you didn't even need Astro.

My few attempts in testing just got me dog-piled.

:goodjob: team! From the little I've seen, this was not an easy map to dominate. Impressive effort.

Sorry I bailed and sorry to see our string of top-two finishes end. It was great run.

:goodjob: team! From the little I've seen, this was not an easy map to dominate. Impressive effort.

Sorry I bailed and sorry to see our string of top-two finishes end. It was great run.

Yes, it was a tough go. Hats off to ZPV and Dhoom for doing a lot of the heavy lifting at the end to bring the victory home.

BTW, did you see all of the cottages we built? ;)

Guys, our biggest mistake by far was not pushing on with spies after our first one died. If there's one thing the Russians used to always repeat, ad infinitum, it was knowledge is power, meaning explore the map. If we had pushed spies out in both directions we would have found Lizzie much sooner and could have focused our energy in that direction.

I've compared our saves with the PDs and, contrary to what Duckweed is saying, we were far ahead in units, even on T127, plus we had more cities. Our biggest mistake was splitting our stacks into two directions, and that because we didn't know better, lacking map knowledge.

That said, the PDs strategy of getting OBs with the AIs was simplicity. I don't understand why we didn't see that in our beginning discussions. They had no problem getting OBs and from there, common war and all those goodies. They also blundered, though, for lack of map knowledge, as far as I can tell, because they decided to DoW Genghis. I'm not sure why, but I think because they also didn't have better map knowledge. The ideal solution would have been to befriend Hatty, which they did, and Genghis. DoW someone else, like Shaka or Cyrus. Then they'd have an open pathway to Lizzie. This way they had to fight their way through Genghis. So obviously they could have won this much sooner than they even did. Probably 160 or sooner. The PD strategy was definitely better than the Kaku strategy, in the final analysis, and more flexible too.

The only thing that could have gone wrong with their strategy would be if Mansa or Hyuana had built the AP. (Or different map set-ups of course, like Lizzie overseas, etc.) But even then, I'm not sure that would have mattered all that much because they were in good position to pop two more GSes if they needed them. They would have had to take out Genghis or Hatty also to build the galleons. I guess that would have put them past the Kakus if the Kakus had played optimally.

:agree:

Our spies were a bit slow on the east side. However, since we didn't invest in reinforcement lines (Astronomy), having those front-line cities proved quite useful.

Congratulations on a hard fought domination victory.

From my limited forays into your thread it looked you played as well as ever.:goodjob:

Thanks for the notification about the new game's sign-up thread being available! :goodjob:

It promises to be quite a fun game with a lot less stress than the average SGOTM.

I say that we start recruiting... we'll give precedence to previous members for a few days and then after that, we'll start giving away their seats. :lol: You snooze, you lose. :eek:

Interested people who were not previous members of this team but think that they might like to join us can send me a Private Message.

We can start actively recruiting in a few days, once we've given previous members a chance to show or no-show.

Alas, it appears the team OSS is no more. LC has retired, bbp and shyuhe have vanished and ZPV has joined FE. It was fun while it lasted...

It's sad to see a team disappear. Although, I don't think any members of the team for SGOTM 15 were on either Team One or Short Straw anyway, so the original teams' members are long gone.

Top Bottom