SGOTM 25 Maintenance Thread

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff, about matters of general interest that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds. If you need to raise specific issues concerning only your team, then please contact Deckhand and Sossos by PM.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

=================================================================

China probably has the longest continuous written history (3,500 years) of any country in the world. Now it’s your turn to be the leader of China at one of its most dangerous perishing moments.

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”--------Confucius
“Passivity is fatal to us. Our goal is to make the enemy passive."---------Mao Zedong

The game will start from Classic age, and the Difficulty level will be Deity. You will start with Ancient Techs and More.

Mao, the Chinese leader, will be rated by 7 ministry members in the Political Bureau when the victory comes. The maximum points which can be scored by each member is 100 points.

The faster team winning the game with 420 points will be awarded the laurel. If two team wins at the same turn, the team with higher points wins.
  • Culture Ministry: 100 points * the total culture of the top 3 cities/150,000
  • Diplomatic Ministry: 25 points for being AP leader, 25 points for being UN leader, 50 points for diplomatic victory votes: 25 points * AP victory votes % / 75%+ 25 points* UN victory votes % / 67%
  • Civil Ministry: 100 points* (81-the sum of 9 ranks) /72
  • Military Ministry: 30 points * population% / 35% + 30 points * Land area % / 60% + 40 points * (destroyed civilization + vassal civilization )/ 8
  • Science Ministry: 100 points * eras of all techs learned / 7
  • Economy Ministry: 100 points * cities with corporation / total cities (except barbarians)
  • Construction Ministry: 100 points * wonders owned/25. (All wonders(world+national) count.)
(points will be rounded down for each member before being summed up)

Your starting area
Click for a full size image [maybe not exact, but close enough]

Game Options
Rivals: 8 AIs
Difficulty: Deity
Starting Era: Classical
Bonus Techs: All Ancient Techs; Mathematics, Code of Laws, Drama, Metal Casting, Machinery, Iron Working, Philosophy and Communism
Bonus Units: a bomber, a great spy and a great prophet.
Bonus Wonders: Great Wall
Speed: Normal
Options: No Events, No Goody Huts
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings
Map: Custom
Mapsize: Standard

Mao is Expansive and Protective
Unique Unit: Cho-Ku-Nu
Unique Building: Pavilion

Timetable

The team discussion threads are open.

The team saves should be available here by January 20th

In order to give you plenty of time to complete this game, the completion deadline will be April 30th. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

=================================

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, and with the BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod installed.
  • You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or newer versions are encouraged to read the notes on Windows fixes here.
  • If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.
  • Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game.
  • You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading this SGOTM 24 save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, with no errors or warnings, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
Team Lists

Here are the current team lists:

Last edited:
Please Note: The game details may still be subject to change, when the design team discover what I've posted.

Construction Ministry: to me it is clear that all Wonders owned at game's end would count. I saw another player mention that World Wonders would have to be built by China. Which is correct? (and does the Great Wall count as 4 points right from the start?)

What are our exact starting units?

The save is out today or tomorrow. I think we can wait on unit info. :)

Last edited:
The saves are now available here.

Basic rules:
No peaking at other team threads.
No reloading.
Be nice to each other.
Have fun!​

Construction Ministry: to me it is clear that all Wonders owned at game's end would count. I saw another player mention that World Wonders would have to be built by China. Which is correct? (and does the Great Wall count as 4 points right from the start?)

I'm not sure whether I should answer, but "built" and "owned" are different to me. In the rules, it is explicitly "owned".
Great wall is a wonder, so I think it counts.

I'm not sure whether I should answer, but "built" and "owned" are different to me. In the rules, it is explicitly "owned".
Thanks for the reply.
And yes you should answer.
Alan and deckhand will be administering; sossos is the game designer and has final say on interpretation of the rules.

I will be attempting to monitor all your threads. And make unfunny comments that I think are witty. However it is unlikely I will succeed in keeping up with all of them.

If you have any questions of a general non spoiler nature, go ahead an post them in this thread.
If you have a specific question that could include spoilers, then PM both me and sossos; one of us should be able to get back to you in a somewhat timely manner.
I will create a lurker thread at some time in the future (maybe a week).

So we don't even get one little bitty worker? :(

Normal classical starts give you one.

So we don't even get one little bitty worker? :(

Normal classical starts give you one.
He was exhausted by building the great wall. It was a civ6 worker and used up all its actions. :mischief:
Game isn't exactly a normal classical start. ;)

Is there a difference between "techs learned" by research and techs obtained through trading and espionage or gift as peace ofering?

Will there be a lurker thread?

Didn't sign up as I won't have time to really dedicate to playing, but probably just enough to lurk around. :)

Diplomatic Ministry: 25 points for being AP leader, 25 points for being UN leader, 50 points for diplomatic victory votes: 25 points * AP victory votes % / 75%+ 25 points* UN victory votes % / 67%

Dumb question: can I assume that either AP or UN counts as a 'diplomatic victory'?

Diplomatic Ministry: 25 points for being AP leader, 25 points for being UN leader, 50 points for diplomatic victory votes: 25 points * AP victory votes % / 75%+ 25 points* UN victory votes % / 67%

Dumb question: can I assume that either AP or UN counts as a 'diplomatic victory'?

The AP victory votes % can be obtained as below:
Go to "victory conditions->member" screen, you can see how many percentage of votes you would get if a AP victory voting is proposed. You don't have to win by AP victory.

The AP victory votes % can be obtained as below:
Go to "victory conditions->member" screen, you can see how many percentage of votes you would get if a AP victory voting is proposed. You don't have to win by AP victory.
Hi, that sounds fair, though perhaps one should point out that the numbers on that screen are not always accurate in terms of victory vote - I think they disregard the "secret" diplomacy modifiers, and only provide the estimate based on the diplomacy status that can be known7explicitly revealed by the player (not including inductive reasoning). But these should be the same for every team, so like I said it is a fair way to award diplo points from the diplomatic minister in the politburo- :goodjob:

Top Bottom