Shouldn't recon units have +% vs. Animals promotions?

Exsequien

Chieftain
I always wondered why they didn't have one. I know, there's the "Subdue Animals" promotion which adds +25% vs. animals but that one's only available with a tech and well, it's the only one of its kind.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Shock" and "Cover". So a "+40% vs. animals" promotion which you can pick after Combat I. Make it recon unit specific, would make that line more useful.

Why ?

They already get a natural +50%, which in addition to the massive strength of rangers, is already enough to make capturing and using wild animals an almost useless thing to do.

I think before recon gets any more anti animal stuff, animals need anti recon promotions

Or there could be stronger versions of all animals which appear later in the game.

Call them "Elderly ..." or "Majestic ..." or something like that and power them up. Or let them travel in packs.

There area already beasts that tend to appear later (or at least get captured later)

Other than the giant apes I can't think of anything worth worrying about, as far as animals that are stronger than Hunters with the Subdue promotion.

If the animal is too big for your hunters, bring two hunters. Totally worth it for the elephants, which are the only thing that stands a chance against a hunter with Subdue.

You could always have animals explode every once in a while. That will make things more interesting. :lol:

On a more serious note, mixing up the "army" of Cernunnos a bit wouldn't hurt. FF+ does a bit of this...but more could certainly be done. I'd like to see more fey creatures, for example.

It is intended to allow the Animal Civ to spawn some bigger nastiness someday, but we want to implement a function to delay their introduction into the game before doing so, but preferably in a unique manner. Either by raw gameturn (gamespeed adjusted) or dwindling unowned territory in an area are my main ideas so far. Will most likely place greater restraints on animals if we do so, forcing them to remain within terrain which is capable of spawning them while moving (ie - impossible to ever find a gorilla outside of Jungle, unless of course the Jungle he is in spontaneously disappears and leaves him stranded and immobile)

I'm more than willing to add any animals there is art for... Only one in the database that I haven't is the Pig... And that's only because it looks like crap. :lol: A boar would be nice though... Could just steal the skin from the Khazad UU and put it on the unit.

I'm also thinking an anti-recon promo for Recon, Mounted, Animals, and Beasts could be nice... Second level would be unavailable to Mounted, possibly Animals.

Playing around with having an anti-recon promo, it's really nice for the first 120-ish turns, especially to even out the divide against the 4str barb lizards if you're going somewhere in the tech tree that isn't military. But I hardly ever drop it on anything after that point, unless I'm going to fight the Ljo's Rangers or the Archos - though in those circumstances, having assassins with Surround I and II is just what the doctor ordered, especially for the peskily tough Archos.

I can't say I've ever wanted another +% versus animals for Recon units, since Rangers with Subdue animal effectively have 13.65 strength (also counting the combat I you need to access to subdue animal), plus any other bonuses they may have.
Even hunters have 7.8 which only Elephants and legendary beasts come close to.

MOAR DRAGONS!!! only late game barbarians with Animal AI!!! (maybe spawn at AC 50, as the Godsvaults are weakening in compact-ish-ness

orangutang pen? is that like a SUPER dancing bears? does it have a chance to meltdown into a Margalard? (as opposed to BTS meltdown into Radiation, the chaos of war can cause the beast to break free of his cage)

I could see adding some weaker dragons... Although first I'd rather add command limit to the apes and have them start with a horde of miniature versions of themselves. :lol:

Which reminds me... Need to add orangutans. Both monkeys will build the same pen to keep things simple.

We should change the color and scale on the gorilla art and add Yeti and Saquatches while we're at it.

A big white ape with invisibility on snow could be pretty fun. :)

It wasn't too long ago that wild animals could become major hindrances for some civs. If you choose to forgo the recon line to concentrate on another, a Sword Spider or even a moderately promoted bear can be devastating to expansion efforts. Even a small stack of hunters can fall to them.

Rangers aren't necessarily too strong for the mid game since not all civs will have them mid-game. If I divine iron nearby, you can bet I'm getting myself champions before rangers.

It wasn't too long ago that wild animals could become major hindrances for some civs. If you choose to forgo the recon line to concentrate on another, a Sword Spider or even a moderately promoted bear can be devastating to expansion efforts. Even a small stack of hunters can fall to them.

Rangers aren't necessarily too strong for the mid game since not all civs will have them mid-game. If I divine iron nearby, you can bet I'm getting myself champions before rangers.
Not too long ago either. I saw the Belsaraphs get pinned in a peninsula by a group of bears: something like 10 or 12 in an area of about 2 cities. (There was a bear den.)

I like having plenty of wild animals. I miss that part of Nature's Revolt, when unexplored continents could become virtually impossible to expand into without rangers/beast masters for all the heroic strength 1 + 2 lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

have VERY late game animals that 'rewild' the world if you catch my drift

In Fall Further, Gurid, Margalard, and Leviathan were born before I got mages that I was BEELINING TOO xD

In Fall Further, Gurid, Margalard, and Leviathan were born before I got mages that I was BEELINING TOO xD
I've never had a problem with them, even when I don't bee-line. They're simply to singular to make a big effect: I have a harder time finding them than anything else.

Top Bottom