Some 1.20 problems

player1 fanatic

Fanatic
Things I see wrong with this new 1.20 patch.

First, MPTournament.biq refers to 1.18 patch.
Also it still has a Radio tech implemented.
This is also true for all other BIQ files added with Conquests.
Like Cheaper Upgrades.biq, MPFastCiv3Conquests.biq, No Civ Traits.biq, No Unique Units.biq, Quick Civ.biq, With Plague.biq, etc... They all need to be changed to reflect the newest rules.

Second, even conquests.biq is not done properly.
It still has Radio tech in its list, but as non-era tech which is added to all civs at start.
Should be deleted, since it gives some bugs, like starting game with Radio or Radio in Civilopedia.

Third, Civilopeida.txt isn't changed to reflect that Radio tech is removed. Which means that "Enables Radar Towers" entry needs to be moved from Radio to Electronics.

Fourth, as alexman reported, it looks that Civ3Conquests.exe looks for science_industrial_new.pcx for industrial era, which gives error in all scenarios. It should look to science_industrial.pcx instead, and science_industrial_new.pcx needs to replace science_industrial.pcx

Fifth: How this passed Q&A???

I fully expect 1.21 to be released ASAP to fix these issuses.

Optional: When we are there, maybe some other easy things could be fixed.
-Like adding WWII Paratrooper in list of units with ZOC in Civilopedia
-removing offense AI flag from Musketeer (PtW leftover, when it had attack of 3)
-fixing bug with Inca leader being targetable by Stl. Fighter stealth attack (this maybe is not bug since stealth attack doesn't work for air units anyway)
-and if any conquests.biq changes are done, then adding them to other optional BIQs should be done too

There are other bugs due to the science_industrial_new.pcx as well. In order to have the biq-file flagged as version 1.20, I imported the contents of my scenario into the editor, I then saw the following strange behaviour.

On the first load, the old science_industrial loads. If one chooses to start a new game, and then loads the scenario again, one really gets the science_industrial_new.pcx! It seems that it then works as it should for saved games, however.

But why bother with this complicated solution anyway? If one really wants to have the old science_industrial.pcx in the scenario, considing the extra size, all one has to do is to include it with the scenario!

I think, as far as some rumors say, that when Firaxis betatested 1.18b patch, which introduces changes to Radio, they deliberatly choosed to keep Radio as non era tech and to have 2 industrical era images, in case they want to switch back.

Appearently, when they needed to release final 1.20 patch, it looks that they fogot about removing Radio for real and switching to just one industrial image.

To me this simply doesn't make sense. It is so easy to add or remove a tech in the editor compared to messing with an indentifier in the .biq file structure for the program to know if it deals with an old or new version, and then to load different background images accordingly, that it must have been a very deliberate change. What surprises me is that they did no testing (or tested irrelevant things). I mean, this is stuff one sees five minutes after installing the patch...

If they would have released a beta of what they wanted, let people try it out, and the make an official patch with no changes other than bug fixes, they would have avoided this whole mess. Testing the 4th (?) patch only in house seems somewhat irresponsible.

Another bug I'd like to report, which has been present since the beta, is whenever you start a conquest and decide to start a regular game as well, the conquest rules are still in effect for the normal game. Not big, but annoying.

We loaded a save came two people,s screens were black, other had frozen screen.

Top Bottom