Spoonwood's Hall of Fame Attempts

My city got conquered in another game where we founded a city and hired a tax collector. The Aztecs establish an embassy in the empty capital, and marched into my territory and declared war a turn or three later.

Last edited:
Would an archipelago with a bunch of workers who turn into outposts do it better? Or do you consider the extra citizen necessary for a worker not good? One thing might be to time the worker to get generated the time of the city growth so that a new citizen is never created and you can turn that worker into a way to keep AI off your island. The AI get Amphibious War pretty late and if you have good relations with them, maybe they never bother landing the marines.

Would an archipelago with a bunch of workers who turn into outposts do it better?

I think that the Aztecs in the 9:07 A. M. game where on my home island, and also The Ottomans. I suppose if I take out anyone on the homeland and then make outposts along all potential landing spots, I wouldn't get conquered. It would also be more territory blocked off from the AIs. Blocking off other island with outposts might also prevent domination victory of an AI, if they don't produce marines.

I think that the Aztecs in the 9:07 A. M. game where on my home island, and also The Ottomans. I suppose if I take out anyone on the homeland and then make outposts along all potential landing spots, I wouldn't get conquered. It would also be more territory blocked off from the AIs. Blocking off other island with outposts might also prevent domination victory of an AI, if they don't produce marines.
If you keep your city at size 1...you won't be able to build enough workers to outpost very much. A worker every 10 turns with 1 city is only 53 workers the whole game!

I've been playing a Regent histographic game. I started with a two cow and a deer start. I didn't handbuild the Pyramids. I might have done better to do that. I just went with random opponents instead doing the more usual thing of going with all scientific opponents or some consistent theme.

Anyways, some pictures:

Engineering.png

The Byzantines finally learned Engineering after our Mayan empire had just finished off Banking, Astronomy, and Music Theory (for Bach's) popup.

My core cities built libraries and universities to push towards Replacable Parts, Sanitation, and maybe the modern age (it's just easier to conceive of finishing if research pushes out to the modern age for Mass Transit systems earlier since it means less pollution to clean). Our empire wasn't ready for war, but Arabia had some units wandering in our territory and the military advisor rated us as average towards them. So, we made some stupid demands, they declared and we got war happiness. They did have the Statue of Zeus and we lost one city building a university, but they look like they will get completely conquered soon. Our core has bought some cavalry, since we weren't quite ready for this war.

Now, for the picture why I'm making this post. I've been renaming cities to three letters to keep track of chopped forest tiles in my cities. '2', '3', and '6' all indicate chopped forest positions from the city center with the keypad. 'p' and 'l' indicate chopped positions to the right. Completely by accident one of our cities got named this:

ate 236 lb.png

It's 510 AD and Electricity should complete in 4 turns at 80% science, and no golden age yet. Current score of 1355 at 33% of the domination limit.

So, we made some stupid demands, they declared and we got war happiness.
I'm not sure I've ever said "Accept this deal or pay the consequences" and gotten a DoW back. I've always just got a vanilla rejection, to the point I don't do it.

What are the circumstances where a DoW happens? Maybe I'm always doing it on a smaller military.

I've used "Accept this deal..." to make them mad and then gotten a declaration when I tell them to leave my territory. I think this is what Spoonwood is referring to, as he writes that they had units in his territory.

I've not gotten them to declare just from the demand itself.

I'm not sure I've ever said "Accept this deal or pay the consequences" and gotten a DoW back. I've always just got a vanilla rejection, to the point I don't do it.

Yes, CKS understands it.

I got to them to the point where they had a "Furious" attitude, and probably even more "stupid" demanding after that. I'm not sure what I did exactly. I think I demanded gpt. But also, since I hadn't gone to war with Arabia, I think I could have just demanded any city and they wouldn't give it to me, and get worse and worse an attitude (justifably so!) towards me.

My guess about the circumstances comes as that the military advisor rates you either average to them, or your empire as "weak" towards them. The aggression level might affect things, but I had AIs set to minimal aggression as usual. If they weren't Furious, and more likely Furious+ (Furious encompasses a lot of different levels as some study by Bampseedy makes clear and I've to a less extent guessed at when I've used DEBUG mode), I doubt they would have declared.

Also, it's the "leave or declare" option. That order doesn't always appear when you have an AI unit in your territory. For example, if they haven't had any units in your territory at all (or maybe recently), and walk one into your territory, you can't tell them to "leave or declare", you can only warn them (the same holds if you walk your unit into AIs territory). But if some unit remains in your territory a second turn, or there exist two units in your territory, then you can make the "leave or declare" demand.

In this case, I don't think they cancelled any deals by declaring. However, I do recall on at least on archipelago map Japan landing units next to a Carthaginian city. Having no cities on the island, it seemed abundantly clear that they were about to declare war on that undefended city. I recall then using gpt to promise to pay for a technology. Maybe I made them furious also. Then I told them to "leave or declare". And Japan declared cancelling the gpt deal. Then I had units ready nearby to lob rocks at their units and finally kill them.

I think Moonsinger talked about using that "leave or declare" tactic in a GOTM month upper level game a long time ago (and it's legal there... clearly... you have to have a position ready to fight a war).

I played a standard histographic Regent game with America yesterday. I used BlackBetsy's idea of outposting my island (80% archipelago). One city handbuilt The Pyramids and another The Great Lighthouse to slow down the AIs. They had started on The Theory of Evolution by the end, but that was about it. No Hoover's Dam started. America's final score was 1227. It was a loss. It took almost 2 hours and 12 minutes.

I played a standard histographic Regent game with America yesterday. I used BlackBetsy's idea of outposting my island (80% archipelago). One city handbuilt The Pyramids and another The Great Lighthouse to slow down the AIs. They had started on The Theory of Evolution by the end, but that was about it. No Hoover's Dam started. America's final score was 1227. It was a loss. It took almost 2 hours and 12 minutes.
Did you disband one of them after building the Wonder? Also, would love to see a screencap of your island!

I ended up keeping both of the wonder cities.

I did disband some cities that shared a border with Japan, as I had a culture flip at one point and had to raze that city.

Well, it's not quite the entire island:

America.png

I thought you were trying to minimize score....so I would have assumed that you would have disbanded cities once you outposted the island....

I've been playing a Large Warlord 100k game. I will probably do a Deity conquest game, but play 60% pangea instead. Or probably something other than 80% archipelago.
Babylon?

Notably, I am running -200 in every form of government on my Chieftain game. Not sure how I would manage a Warlord game.

I would think a good effort is going to land the #4 spot on that chart.

No, I'm playing Sumeria. I'm researching all the way to the modern age in a Republic. I don't know when I'll finish.

I got a settler from a hut and started with two cows. We got our Golden Age with Newton's University.

No, I'm playing Sumeria. I'm researching all the way to the modern age in a Republic. I don't know when I'll finish.

I got a settler from a hut and started with two cows. We got our Golden Age with Newton's University.
A radically different strategy! What do you think your completion date will be? A settler from a hut is a great start for a non-expansionist civ.

One thing I note is that by far the most culture comes in the last 30 turns. I could see a strategy that focuses ONLY on building settlers at the expense of libraries, cathedrals etc. I could easily see how 300 cities at 400 AD with virtually no culture could be 150 cities with loads of culture at that point.

A size 6 city growing fast with 20 shields in the box could go from 2 cpt with ToA to 8 cpt in 2 turns. Do that across 100 cities and that's 600 cpt. Without ToA, it can go from 0 to 8 in 10 turns.

What do you think your completion date will be?

It's 660 AD. We just learned Mass Production. Only Motorized Transportation and Flight left in the industrial era. I have 103 cities, 23,872 culture, and 908 culture per turn. Our cities stopped building settlers seriously some time ago now, so I don't think I played this optimally for finish date. My core makes wonders, factories, banks, and stock exchanges right now. We conquered Japan, France, and India. The other 8 opponents have the scientific trait. Once we have some tanks, and we've gotten all the free techs, we'll go at the AIs full scale.

Top Bottom