State of the Union 2013: 4th Annual CFC Live Commentary and Heckling!

No! It actually has to do with women's rights!

Thanks for playing.

Is this about getting equal numbers of men as women in the health care and teaching sectors?

I'd support legislation mandating 50/50 ratios.

Elementary schools are the biggest discriminators. Maybe some broadened Title IX legislation.

Because the government made it illegal to import cheap drugs.

Because government made it illegal to resell drugs.

Because government made it so that hospitals have to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay.

Government doesn't force medical services to have upfront pricing like everyone else.

Lots of reasons.

The audacity of poor people to dare to live.

Is this about getting equal numbers of men as women in the health care and teaching sectors?

I'd support legislation mandating 50/50 ratios.

Elementary schools are the biggest discriminators.

It's not about numbers of people, but assuring that businesses don't discriminate by gender on the paycheck. Hiring practices, well, that's a different kind of law. You should try drafting one and submitting it to your Congressperson, perhaps they can try to get it passed.

AID's free generation is within our reach?

Timothy Ray Brown is still HIV negative 5 years after he was cured.

Awareness and prevention have significantly improved over the last ten years. At the very least an AIDS-free American generation is certainly within our reach. A much more marginalized presence of AIDS across the World is equally likely.

Most of those reasons being the private sector waste, fraud, and abuse, and things that the private sector lobbied for and conservatives gave them.
Come on now, do I need to provide our imaginary balance sheet again, with these easily eliminated line items? We don't have lines for Waste, Fraud, & Abuse. I know it's easy to say, but you gotta provide some examples of Waste, Fraud, & Abuse - you can't just say it exists. Tell me what you're talking about.

It's like when Republicans say "we can reduce Welfare costs by eliminating Waste, Fraud, & Abuse!" Examples are needed, by either side, & whoever says it needs to show that the additional oversight doesn't actually cost *more* than these hypothetical line items.

Odd that the IRS who will be enforcing Obamacare's penalties seem to think the lowest cost plans will cost so much. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Show me where, in that 73-page document, they say that the lowest cost plan will cost $20,000, as opposed to using that number as an example - "if it costs $20,000".

Talk about Chicago Talk about Chicago Talk about Chicago

*edit* THANK YOU

Come on now, do I need to provide our imaginary balance sheet again, with these easily eliminated line items? We don't have lines for Waste, Fraud, & Abuse. I know it's easy to say, but you gotta provide some examples of Waste, Fraud, & Abuse - you can't just say it exists. Tell me what you're talking about.

It's like when Republicans say "we can reduce Welfare costs by eliminating Waste, Fraud, & Abuse!" Examples are needed, by either side, & whoever says it needs to show that the additional oversight doesn't actually cost *more* than these hypothetical line items.

Insurance company CEO salaries. :mischief:

Meh :dunno:

I suppose knowing that nothing will come of any of it takes all the punch out of all of it.

I would be blinking my ass off in there. Sitting through that speech in person must be a nightmare

Insurance company CEO salaries. :mischief:
I won't dispute that CEO salaries are ridiculous, insurance companies included. But, if you dropped a hypothetical CEO's salary from $20 million (I'm just guessing) down to, let's say $1 million, you'd cut costs by $19 million, obviously. But the largest insurers (WellPoint, United, Aetna, Cigna, Blue Cross, etc.), have 10's or 100's of millions of customers.

For example, WellPoint has 34 million members in its affiliated health plans and more than 70 million insurees when its subsidiaries are included. $19 million / 70 million customers / 12 months = $0.02381, or about 2.4 cents. Let's call it 3 cents. If you cut the CEO's salary down to $1 million, your rate would go down by 3 cents. Just this year - you can't cut it by $19 million again next year.

That's not the issue, even though I agree with you that CEO salaries are ridiculous. It's health care costs that raise your insurance premiums every year. Not CEO salaries.

Dammit, I had night class during this.

Is there a video out there of this speech in full?

EDIT: <nvm> CSPAN has it

Rubio's an idiot. 90% of "Obamacare" hasn't gone into effect yet - it goes into effect as of 1/1/14. There's literally no way it's caused companies to lay people off.

EDIT: particularly any company that already offers its employees health insurance. they will not be affected at all.

Rubio's an idiot. 90% of "Obamacare" hasn't gone into effect yet - it goes into effect as of 1/1/14. There's literally no way it's caused companies to lay people off.

EDIT: particularly any company that already offers its employees health insurance. they will not be affected at all.

Here you go, lost jobs:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...ax-burden.htm?Ntt=obamacares-hidden-tax-hikes

And more from Rubio I believe.

&#8220;Despite our differences, I know that both Republicans and Democrats love America. I pray we can come together to solve our problems, because the choices before us could not be more important. If we can get our economy healthy again, our children will be the most prosperous Americans ever. And if we do not, we will forever be known as the generation responsible for America&#8217;s decline.&#8221;

There is some more fantasy thinking. Man, if only they could figure out why our economy isn't healthy.

Two comments:

1.) Nice try, Kaitzilla.

2.) I'm not sure Rubio heard the speech that Obama delivered.

Two comments:

1.) Nice try, Kaitzilla.

2.) I'm not sure Rubio heard the speech that Obama delivered.

1) Thanks! :pat:

2) No one ever has a good rebuttal. The SOTU speech gets handed out before the Prez reads it off the teleprompter so the rebuttal gets made way before the speech. Which parts get cheered the most aren't weighted to be rebutted harder for time reasons so it always seems tone deaf. Add in the required niceness, and it sucks as usual. I've never heard a good one that I can recall.

One day powerful republicans will learn how pointless the rebuttal is and hand it off to some less powerful or unfortunate member. Same goes for the Dems.

Top Bottom