Support Page on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

I am considering getting the Radeon x700 - does anyone know if that card has any post-patch issues?

It seems allot of peeps are running into video card incompatability issues. It maybe a later game memory leak. I too have seen crashes later on in the game and I have a fairly new Nvidea 6800 -128. The card isn't the problem, the issue is with the code written, it's not accessing the vid-hardware correctly. So I would hold off on buying new cards until the Civ IV team takes a closer look at this issue. Just my few cents worth. Just for your info I have tried the following fixes:
Installed vid card new drivers and it became more unstable, so I returned to the original OEM drivers,
Tried many different refresh rates, and resolutions. Nothing worked.
Tried lower screen res, didn't change anything.
Tried an access file from Nvidea as suggested on another forum, didn't work either.
Tried re-install, didn't change anything.
Tried praying and I'm still waiting for a answer.

Mm
:cry:

The patch helped but I also had to uninstall Norton Systemworks 2005, Adobe Acrobat (full not reader) and Nero. Now it runs like a dream, Without uninstalling the other programs it would only runs for 20 minutes to an hour and then crash.

Nice now that it finally runs.:)

The patch didnt do much good for me. I still have to use rivatuner and set shaders back to 1.4 and 1.1. The game runs fine at the beginning but at the endgame it crashes to the desktop with something like 16 colors and a resolution of 640 x 480.

I got a P4 2.66 with 750 RAM and a GF5700 256 mb... Im thinking about buying more ram, like 1 gb, but ill wait and see what firaxis' next patch will do...

In my opinion Firaxis' goodwill has almost dropped to zero because of this circus :crazyeye:

based on the posts here, and my own experience, civ IV sucks big-time. The fact that they tell you on one of these web sites to save the game and exit and re-start the game to avoid crashes says a LOT about how bad the game real is.

As a software developer in the 80's and 90's, if I had said that to my customers, I would have been fired.

This software is flakey.

After installing the patch (1.09) I now get this error message:

[9448.596] ERR: Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings
Parameters:
- width = 1024
- height = 768
- flags = 0xc
- hwnd = 0x1903d2
- adaptrid = 0
- deviceid = 3
Error:Creation failed: Invalid 3D device type

Is it my graphics card thats too old or needs new drivers or anything?

I have a AMD 3000+ with 1 Gb RAM with plenty of HD space, and latest drivers. I chkdsk'd, defragged and ran Norton Systemworks. I even re-flashed the CMOS on my mother board. Civ 4 post-patch is still a no go and I'm out 50 bucks. Hey, some of my other stuff works better now! I'm not buying anything more in an attempt to get this turkey to work when all my other games work fine. The only thing I can see is that when I'm running something in the background, Civ 4 crashes sooner. So, this memory leak idea must be real. I give you that the game is beautiful and the advice here is really neat. However, if I wanted to solve a puzzle, I could have got a lot of cross-word puzzles for $50.

I sent an email to Firaxis and to EB Games. I'm sure I won't get my money back or even any satisfaction. I intend to wait for EB Games to respond and then I'm filing a complaint with my state's attorney general. I know, I know. But think about it, these days it'll cost 'em more than $50 to respond to the general. If each of us does it we might get some thing to happen.

Why is the patch size different on fanatics site and the official site? 23 meg and 31 meg?

i would love to get as far the game crashing! after downloading the patch (at work...) i've now transferred it to my comp. every time i try to run it, it complains of error 5001. i've done everything the message box says but to no avail.

Hey just wanted to write and tell something positiv here also...I have been playing the game since it was launched and I have had 0 problems, 0 crashes and so forth...

I am playing on a;
AMD A64-bit 3400+
MSI NFORCE3
1GB RAM
Sapphires Radeon X800 PRO (With the Omega 2.5.97a drivers)

and as I said....NO PROBLEMS!!!!

Hello !
When I start the game, I can't see the principal screen....

Can you help me please ????

Yeah when i start a game my screen just goes black, I think my video card crashes...
ATI radien 9200 (yes thats old)

this is brutal.

Hey just wanted to write and tell something positiv here also...I have been playing the game since it was launched and I have had 0 problems, 0 crashes and so forth...

I am playing on a;
AMD A64-bit 3400+
MSI NFORCE3
1GB RAM
Sapphires Radeon X800 PRO (With the Omega 2.5.97a drivers)

and as I said....NO PROBLEMS!!!!

I'm surprised, when the game was launched there were huge problems with memory management, and an informal patch was posted here by harkonnen and then many months later, it was incorporated into a patch and released officially.

I have seen changes that make an unmodded game pretty safe, but as soon as you make a large mod, it consistently crashes.

It is a brilliant game, but quality control across the pc game industry is woeful. Windows software generally seems dodgy although i've never bought any non game app that was as buggy as most games are. Consoles seem a magnitude less buggy; perhaps because there is competition?

Are you sure you were playing with that system when it was launched? I didn't think the amd 64 were available back then? What was the year, 2003?

What are you smoking? Civ4 was released in October 2005. About 14 months ago. Not three years.

And the first AMD64 processors were released in 2003. The architecture was 2.5 years old when Civ4 came out.

What are you smoking? Civ4 was released in October 2005. About 14 months ago. Not three years.

And the first AMD64 processors were released in 2003. The architecture was 2.5 years old when Civ4 came out.

Corrected post. I noticed you haven't voted DaviddesJ ? If you vote honestly, it will help build up statistics as to how many are affected.

Warlords.

I have downloaded and installed the v2.08. When I tried to start the game again, the computer didnt read the cd. Said that cannot find the cd.

What should I do?

Running the 1.61. patch, the game hangs when the first movie (era) tries to start. After that, there is a message flashed when the game loads, indicated that "movies are installed incorrectly." Re-installing and running the patch again does not help. How can I install the movies correctly, or otherwise solve the problem? Turning movies off in the options menu does not help, it tries to run the movie anyway, and hangs. Reducing graphic resolution does not help. The program used to run ok without movies, but I had a hard drive crash and had to reformat the drive. Now I have this problem. Can anyone help please?

I've just bought a new PC, running the dreaded Vista. I was pleasently surprised to find that Civ 4 installed and ran fairly easily... but when I tried to apply the v1.61 patch, nothing happened. The installation screen didn't even appear, and the game is stuck in its original, flawed state - no to mention that none of my saved v1.61 games from the previous computer will load! Made 3 attempts with no success.

Anyone got an idea why this should be?

Top Bottom