Support Page on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

I was getting crashes on my system (with an ATI Radeon 9800Pro AGP card) with vanilla Civ4 until I changed the .ini file so it runs in windowed-mode (although accessing the Civilopedia still causes it to crash).

BTW, let me define what I mean by "crash": I could go through the setup/game options screen, it would start building the world, and then, just as it's ready to show me my starting settler & location, the screen goes haywire. The screen looks like a mix between random vertical striping and a MASSIVE amount of artifacts (or it would look like way too many large triangles drawn all over the screen). I cannot take a screenshot, because it is permanently fuzzed until I reboot. :nuke:

As I said, running it in windowed-mode solved the problem (or was a decent workaround) for the most part. Then I got Civ 4 Warlords. After changing the Civilization4.ini for Warlords to match my vanilla version, it appears to work alright (I haven't played a full game yet, because I was just testing to make sure it worked), but then I decided to try what looked like the most interesting new feature: The "Barbarians" scenario.

I've gotten through the game settings, told it to auto-run 40 turns, and as soon as the 40th turn is finished... CRASH! :eek:

Before anyone suggests them: yes, I installed the latest Warlords patch; yes, I am running SP2 of XP; yes, I have the latest Omega drivers for the 9800Pro; and yes, I have the latest BIOS and drivers for my motherboard. (Doing all of this is how I got vanilla Civ4 to run in windowed-mode.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try? :confused:

This is what my screen looks like when trying to start a new game.

And, if I can still see the "continue to game" button, it then renders the map like I just entered hyperspace.

Any ideas how to prevent this? I have tried just about every possible screen resolution and antialiasing/anisotropic filtering setting imaginable, and they all fail.

Attachments

• messed_up_screen1.JPG
    messed_up_screen1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,607
  • messed_up_screen2.JPG
    messed_up_screen2.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,938
I've just bought a new PC, running the dreaded Vista. I was pleasently surprised to find that Civ 4 installed and ran fairly easily... but when I tried to apply the v1.61 patch, nothing happened. The installation screen didn't even appear, and the game is stuck in its original, flawed state - no to mention that none of my saved v1.61 games from the previous computer will load! Made 3 attempts with no success.

Anyone got an idea why this should be?

Just downloaded Civ4 again for the new vista machine i've bought and I've got exactly the same problem, tried looking on this forum for a fix but am either stupid or lazy.

When i actually try and run the patch itself in downloads it says it can't find the civ 4 installation which is a bit loony because its already installed.

Can anyone help

You should not use the ingame Update thingy for downloaded version patches - instead download it from steam or wherever you bought it, those versions need their own patches

Cheers i'll try that

I had CIV4 installed (patch1.61)
Bought Warlords (a CD), installed it, showed dll...problems.
I installed DX9.0. Uninstalled Warlords.
Installed Warlords again. - Check for updates...installed patch 2.13.
Tryed to launch game - Msg = Wrong CD
Then I updated CIV4 to 1.74.
Uninstall and install again Warlords...and patch2.13...
same problem:
Wrong CD"
I am not using cracks or pirate versions, and my sistem, is ok for sure.
Firaxis didn´t answer !!!
pls anybody help...

I had a similar error, the DLL one, then upon correcting that, I was getting an "Error loading shader libraries," which I could not find a workaround. This would occur in both Warlords and Vanilla Civ.

My solution: uninstall Warlords and all updates.
Uninstall Civ and all updates.
Reinstall Civ. Patch to 1.61
Reinstall Warlords. Patch to 2.08.
Do not install update 1.74 or 2.13.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

Can somebody just tell me if the CIV 4 running without any problem on vista,because I can not save my position when I play so I need to play each time from the begining.I've download the last patch from internet and load on my comp and then I could not run the game at all.If someone has idea how to make this thing works let me know.Thanks in advance!

It is luke.like you already knowI have problem to save the position on CIV 4 with wista home,last patch didn't help at all,I was not able even to start the game later.adding of the text which you send me in target box of properties under CIV4 icon doesn't work, it gives me msg the name is not valid and make sure the path and the file name are correct.

Just installed patch 1.74 after not having played in a while and when I try to run the game now it tells me it can't find D3DX9_32.dll. I have Direct X 9.0c installed and DXDIAG doesn't report any problems. It tells me that reinstalling the program may solve this problem, but unfortunately I'm travelling and only brought the play disk with me. Is that the only viable solution or is there something else I can try? Maybe a way to rollback the patch? Any ideas?

Sorry--I missed the sticky in the tech support. Got it running now.

where's the patch that lets you play civ 4 on windows vista? i tried the link on the civ 4 website but it comes up with 'cannot display this webpage' so i can't play it.

i have played on it at a friends house so i know what its like

Can somebody just tell me if the CIV 4 running without any problem on vista,because I can not save my position when I play so I need to play each time from the begining.I've download the last patch from internet and load on my comp and then I could not run the game at all.If someone has idea how to make this thing works let me know.Thanks in advance!

They all run fine on my Vista Home Premium (sp1) system. New machine, just loaded each system, made sure it played, loaded the latest patches, then played again to make sure it worked. Then loaded Warlords and followed the same sequence and then the same with BtS. I know that doesn't help much but at least you know that it does run under Vista.:)

I cannot download the patch. I think there's an error on the site because it just says: No MySQL connection and that's it.

Lame.

I'm running CIV IV v.1.74 with Beyond the Sword v. 3.19 on a Lenovo laptop (T60). It (BtS) ran fine on XP until I moved from XP to Win7. Now it locks up in the middle of a game. If I restart from a previously saved version of the game, it freezes up again, about half the time at the exact same point, or a few turns later. Manually saving the game at every turn helps, but eventually (early 1900s) it just freezes. My video card is an ATI Radeon X1400, and Win7 tells me the driver is the latest for that video card. I've seen posts here suggesting I change things in my ini file, but I don't know how. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I bought CIV IV when it first came out, and had no problems, even after installing the patch and Warlords. I just re-installed the game when I heard about CIV V.
Then I had a CRT monitor and an NVIDIA 6600.
I now have two graphics cards in SLI, and a LCD monitor, and I have exactly the screens of 2007 poste by SwingCorey. There is a deep problem somewhere in the code, and the new version should cover about every problem with the graphics

Anything special I have to do to run under Windows 7? I've got all three games (Basic, Warlords and BTS), fully patched, and I get a crash when attempting to start a BTS game.

I purchased Civ4 several years ago and have just now got around to loading it into my computer. As a part of that process, I also loaded and installed patch 1.74. Now, when I attempt to start (load) Civ4, my machine locks up with the "disk activity" light blinking at a high rate of speed, but not other action. HELP!

Top Bottom