The 2024 US Presidential Election

More like Romneycare in Massachussetts.

So you agree that something is deeply wrong in the Republican Party when all it took was a Democrat to propose the plan for nearly every Republican in the country to bitterly oppose it?

Anyway, in 2024 election news:
Yes, but you leave out details to make the post. God bless McCain, for not being railroaded by the Illinois Democrat in sheep's clothing(now reworded by me for the 5k'th time, to you).

Polling constantly returns strong support for the ACA among Americans in general. Republicans included.

The only way this conversation makes sense is if one steadfastly believes that there are not two great evils sitting atop the pyramid. But shhh, I want a couple more bucks, I think we can get to maybe 6x FB's rake on our current rhetoric, don't mind the dead Gazans.

Polling constantly returns strong support for the ACA among Americans in general. Republicans included.

Oh, is that so?

Views of the ACA are still largely driven by partisanship; nearly nine in ten Democrats (87%) along with over half of independents (55%) view the law favorably, while about two thirds of Republicans (67%) hold unfavorable views.

These numbers are from February 2024 btw.

This is the one he tried to veto large parts of, and got veto'd on in return, right?

That's the one, correct.

The general irony with the Farm Boy framing of the ACA is that the core "Republican healthcare plan" part of it is the horsehockytiest part by far (the healthcare exchanges) while by far the most successful parts are the "socialized medicine" parts (requiring insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions and expanding Medicaid).

Also @Gori the Grey careful with likes...that poll also says Rs feel a lot more positively about Trump than Ds feel about Biden, which could be bad for Biden.

Oh, is that so?

The catch of course is that Republicans, when polled on the ACA, will typically say that they approve of the individual components and provisions. Its only when its referred to as "Obamacare" or "Affordable Care Act/ACA" and they are aware that "Affordable Care Act/ACA" is the official name for Obamacare, that they express opposition/disapproval. If they don't know that the ACA is Obamacare and they are simply told what the ACA does, they approve.

There have even been some funny anecdotal videos where a Republican voter is told all about the ACA and what it does and they say they like it, but then they are told that the ACA is Obamacare and they suddenly say that they no longer approve of all the stuff that they literally just said they approve of. So, some doublethink going on there.

Last edited:
Oh, is that so?

That's the one, correct.

The general irony with the Farm Boy framing of the ACA is that the core "Republican healthcare plan" part of it is the horsehockytiest part by far (the healthcare exchanges) while by far the most successful parts are the "socialized medicine" parts (requiring insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions and expanding Medicaid).
Shoving the Republican poll respondents out of the way for a second, how is it only 89% of Democrats and 73% of Independents agreed that "Prohibit[ing] health insurance companies from denying coverage to pregnant women" was a "very important" feature of the ACA (as of 2019)? :confused:

The catch of course is that Republicans, when polled on the ACA, will typically say that they approve of the individual components and provisions. Its only when its referred to as "Obamacare" or "Affordable Care Act/ACA" and they are aware that "Affordable Care Act/ACA" is the official name for Obamacare, that they express opposition/disapproval. If they don't know that the ACA is Obamacare and they are simply told what the ACA does, they approve.

There have even been some funny anecdotal videos where a Republican voter is told all about the ACA and what it does and they say they like it, but then they are told that the ACA is Obamacare and they suddenly say that they no longer approve of all the stuff that they literally just said they approve of. Classic doublethink.
Yup. People are political idiots, more at 11. But it was probably stupider yet to get higher education on the topic.

Thaddeus says some interesting bits in
. :lol:

Last edited:
Shoving the Republican poll respondents out of the way for a second, how is it only 89% of Democrats and 73% of Independents agreed that "Prohibit[ing] health insurance companies from denying coverage to pregnant women" was a "very important" feature of the ACA (as of 2019)? :confused:
I've got a hot take on that one.

When you say the phrase "pregnant women", different images are going to be invoked for different people. Some folks hear "pregnant women" in this context, and the image/association they immediately make is that of the "welfare queen", some hypothetically lazy, entitled, promiscuous, etc., you get the idea... a young woman who in their view/imagination is just irresponsibly having numerous babies, with multiple partners, out of wedlock... and so on... and is living on "the public dole" so to speak.

So for those folks, they look down on such a hypothetical woman, and don't think she "deserves" health insurance coverage, whereby "everybody else has to pay" for her poor choices/lifestyle. I think that may explain part of the percentage of respondents you are questioning.

I think some people actually think having kids is killing the planet and should be discouraged, too.

Or maybe they're angry incels. Not that either group would ever seriously consider using thier own hands(to help children)* if they didn't get somebody to play with thier ****.

Women, when polled, at least seem to think about it more.

*yowza, awkward phrasings there, just don't be pervy

Last edited:
I didn't even think about that first one. That could be a possibility, although a person would have to be a pretty extreme environmentalist to take a position like that... also, a position like that raises a interesting question of hypocrisy doesn't it? I mean if they are going to take the position that humanity is a blight on the planet and the proliferation/presence of humans must be curbed at all costs... why not they themselves? How can they justify their own life on the planet while holding humanity in general as a scourge to be eradicated? Round and round :crazyeye: ... anyway interesting thought exercise.

About incels... that makes sense, I guess? They can't get laid, so they despise all pregnant women, specifically for obviously being with some other man who is not them, and thus, in their minds, denying them the loving that they are entitled to? Is that the sum of it?

Having kids is great. Have 'em as early and as many as possible. Start breeding at 18. Follow that primal urge to spread your genes.

Hallelujah!

<shrug> Dunno. Anger, frustration, and loneliness taint nearly every interaction. You stop being able to make people smile, they won't forgive you for that, and then they're a curse, not a blessing.

I took more stats than psych.

Also @Gori the Grey careful with likes...that poll also says Rs feel a lot more positively about Trump than Ds feel about Biden, which could be bad for Biden.
I was liking specifically this within the post:

So you agree that something is deeply wrong in the Republican Party when all it took was a Democrat to propose the plan for nearly every Republican in the country to bitterly oppose it?
I guess the way to like just a portion of a post is to quote it and say, what? "This," "+1," something.

I'll look at the poll separately later. But hate-voting prevails, so I like the title.

I've got a hot take on that one.

When you say the phrase "pregnant women", different images are going to be invoked for different people. Some folks hear "pregnant women" in this context, and the image/association they immediately make is that of the "welfare queen", some hypothetically lazy, entitled, promiscuous, etc., you get the idea... a young woman who in their view/imagination is just irresponsibly having numerous babies, with multiple partners, out of wedlock... and so on... and is living on "the public dole" so to speak.

So for those folks, they look down on such a hypothetical woman, and don't think she "deserves" health insurance coverage, whereby "everybody else has to pay" for her poor choices/lifestyle. I think that may explain part of the percentage of respondents you are questioning.
I guess that's as good a hypothesis as any. :dunno: I was thinking that there could be some Democrats and Independents who are "left-leaning Libertarians" who still think the marketplace should govern the provision of healthcare, or perhaps just that insurance companies shouldn't be forced into selling their products at a loss.There could be a lot of anti-Trump conservatives currently holding their noses and supporting the Democrats, the people who like to say they're "liberal on social issues but conservative on fiscal policy." For example, I believe both US Senators and both Representatives from New Hampshire are currently all Democrats, even though the Governor is a Republican and Republicans have a slight majority in the state legislature.

I think yall are making people out to be acting on nobler well considered ideals than they do. Imma use a dated psych term that I think gets to the truth(by my take). The id rules. Even if it's just, "I don't want to pay for your kids, f off."

Even if it's just, "I don't want to pay for your kids, f off."
Using a condom of course.

Well alright, here's my take. Having kids seems to be a culturally ingrained thing in society. I don't have kids and I am amazed at the amount of times I had to answer the dumbest question in the world from family and friends: why don't you want kids. I do not need a reason to not want kids. As if having kids is the default, which many consider it is. I need reasons to want them. And even then, I need to be mindful that I am able to take care of them and provide them with a good childhood.

It's not like kids are an accident.

Top Bottom