The Ages of Civ 4 S&T

CaterpillarKing

Conqueror of Cacoons
Note that I am biased because I only actually was here through a few of these eras, but I analyzed dates and time between posts and titles for stories to get this data.

A New Forum: 2004?-November 2005
-A new game was born unto this world. Civ 4 reached the masses and the elderly Civ 3 was retired. A new story forum was needed and created. In the ensuing chaos many stories filled with random newcomers and various people cluttered the forum. There were no rules and no precedents, but little did those first few know, something great was to be made. No survivors are recorded.

The Era of Contstruction: December 2005 - December 2007
-The forum itself begins to take shape. Stories of actual character are now emerging and evolving into what they were to become. Some of Civ 4 S&T's most famous stories come from this time period, such as Princes of the Universe. This is an era of much tranquility as the fledgling forum grows into a power. The population is unprecedented and wouldn't stop growing for years to come. Nothing would seem to stem this flood. Very very few remain from this time period.

The Divided Era: January 2008-October 2008
-This is a darker time in the sub-forum history. The forum is soon divided into two camps, with the large, successful stories, whom were few in number, trampling over the smaller stories. The view gap widens as the small become smaller and the large become larger. These issues begin to mend themselves as the short age goes on, but it is a problem that still has its repercussions seen 7 years later and would create an irreversible trend.

The Regression Age: November 2008 - March 2010
-The stories of Civ 4 S&T once had much character, but this seems to slow down to almost a grinding halt at this time. The lively tales now turn to short gameplay blurts or tidbits of information. The sad times show how the sub-forum regresses, but it still has the numbers and power it had before, but it is misguided and misdirected. This power was soon to go, though, as the age of dominance would come to an end soon enough.

The Pre Civ 5 Days: April 2010 - August 2010
-Civ 4 enthusiasts watch in agony or hope as Firaxis prepare to release its newest version of Civilization. The people of the story and tales subforum go about their daily writings, unaware of the damage that this new game will do to their tidy community that had stood for around half a decade.

New Trials and Tests: September 2010 - August 2011
-The damage done by the new release is almost instant. The number using and replying drop almost instantly with the release of Civ 5. Those who simply scrolled and replied or had small stories dropped off and never came back, presumably to play the new Civ 5 game. The old-timers stay, but only just. The demographics show that a few come back after being disappointed, but the damage is done, and it is painful.

The Dark Ages: September 2011 - March 2013
-After the hit of Civ 5, the forums once more change. A small revival occurs, with new stories being built and created and made. This seems to be good, but the stories are quickly abandoned. This era is filled with many short, unfinished, blurbs about little to nothing. Overall though, the stories are few in number. This period of about a year and a half are the darkest times the sub-forum has seen, but one can only go up from the bottom.

The Consolodation: March 2013 - February 2014
-Stories are still few, but they are building up. No more short blurbs are being made, as now full-length stories are the only creature to have survived. Writers such as Moai_Spammer, constantinople, and so on hold a few newer mainstays that become very prevalent in the sub-forum. Times are still dark, but they are seeming to be moving more into the light.

The Renaissance: March 2014 - August 2014
-The forum sees its most brilliant recovery with the creation of America: Write Your Own History. This IAAR is not the first of its kind, but it absolutely explodes in popularity. Over the summer this story causes much of the growth that was seen, and spawned many other large stories, such as The Rise of Brazil, A Tryst with Destiny, and so on. Many other stories were made and forgotten but this time of friendship and prosperity would last for a very long time, relatively speaking.

The Downturn: September 2014 - February 2015
-The story that brought the growth of the forum back has ended, and many others have too. Now the forum sees a major loss in many of its major participants. A few stories attempt to recapture the public, but nothing works. While not as bad as the Dark Ages, this is still a bad time for the forum. Fewer stay, with only a few steadfast writers refusing to let their stories wither away.

The Second Revival: March 2015 - Present
-After the downturn, many new story writers took a stab at creating their own masterpiece. The friendships of the Renaissance stay and so do the large stories. The forum appears to now be once more littered with short blurbs, but this trend will not stop the hopeful, ever forward march of progress.

Writer's thoughts: The current trends kind of worry me. What tends to seem to happen is a bunch of new stories are made, forgotten, abandoned, and then the forum has a small collapse. I just want everyone to know that you are invaluable to the creation of the forum we have made together. There have been problems, big and small. There have been fights and arguments. We have survived though. We are a resilient group and I hope that all of you will try your hardest to stay here as long as you can. I hope you newcomers can make a proper home in our forum, for we welcome you all. Thank you.

According to my join date, I joined the forum in March, 2011 and I know I went straight to Civ 4 S&T for whatever reason (and I think I was lurking before then too).

Those were the days. It was difficult, I recall, establishing myself as a presence here among such legends that had walked the fields of S&T at the time. METY arrived around the same time, but he fit in far better. To be fair I was only 11 when I joined, and my stories were absolute garbage. Heck, they still are, when I write them. Anyways, that's beside the point.

In any case, I've lived through 6 of these ages, though I mostly consider myself an archetype of a child of the Dark Ages, because I never update and my updates are relatively poor quality. Anyways, even if I don't usually comment in stories much anymore, I'm still alive.

Well you lived through all of them technically :p I've been in only the last three. I realized that the one era ends on the same month I joined with my stupid fan fiction story :p

Didn't you post that in the wrong subforum too? :lol: I seem to remember that being moved over in the same general time period as RT's America came over, which really had a lasting effect on the subforum (not only for its inventiveness and creativity but also because it stayed in the DoC subforum long enough to get subs there, and then was moved).

Yeah I posted it on the General Discussions. I was kind of upset because I was thinking, "Oh god, now who's going to read it?" And here we are today :D

I remember when I started (April/May 2013) everyone had just ran away to the NES/IOT sub forums.

My first story was full length and during the Consolitdation. However, I still haven't finished my 2nd one, though my 3rd one (Babylon) I would consider my greatest success, probably because of the pun to update ratio.

CK and his researches :p

Have you actually interviewed anybody from ages previous to your own? If not it would be a great thing to get even more accurate on your theory here. You know that we joined almost at the same time, so I'm not an option.

I'd like to see the account of people from previous ages here, it'll sure add to the history of CIV S&T

I lurked for years. When I was 8, I started reading Princes of the Universe. I never really thought about adding my own content until now.

CK and his researches :p

Have you actually interviewed anybody from ages previous to your own? If not it would be a great thing to get even more accurate on your theory here. You know that we joined almost at the same time, so I'm not an option.

I'd like to see the account of people from previous ages here, it'll sure add to the history of CIV S&T

I can try that once I'm done with school and such. :)

CK, let me tell you, you spend way too much time in here. :lol:

Yes I know :p I should be studying for my APUSH test which is tomorrow but meh :p

The Dark Ages: September 2011 - March 2013
-After the hit of Civ 5, the forums once more change. A small revival occurs, with new stories being built and created and made. This seems to be good, but the stories are quickly abandoned. This era is filled with many short, unfinished, blurbs about little to nothing. Overall though, the stories are few in number. This period of about a year and a half are the darkest times the sub-forum has seen, but one can only go up from the bottom.

That's like calling Suleiman the Magnificient's rule a Dark Age.

2010-2012 was THE peak of this subforum.
A population boom created in part by the Epic Wars, a ton of spam and a variety of new stories created the first cohesive community for the subforum.
Like, not just drive-by posters that read one great story (Philosopher Kings, PotU, etc.) and then come back to it to check for updates and nothing else.
It was the first time members organized themselves; our Social Group, the Civ4 S&T Social Group, is still one of the biggest groups on the forum,
and we had anywhere between 30-60 active members in the group, and anywhere between 10-20s on the subforum proper at any given time.
RFC AARs, longform narrative stories, IAARs, Feuds and comedic stories all flourished, as opposed to prior eras or the modern one.
The first story index (The Civ IV S&T Database) was managed at this time as well and several of us actually ran a newspaper about new stories every month (S&T Times).
In fact, members from this generation undertook the first attempt to archive its history in 2012:

myself said:
Well, I used to lurk this forum A LONG time ago before I joined (2009)
and a lot of the early stories were, well, like you said, sort of proto-story.
In the modern incarnation of the subforum, it oddly seems
much healthier and active than it was, say when Civ4 was out in full swing.
In my opinion, I think it's because of an adopted consciousness among visitors
to the subforum; what I mean specifically is that if we compare posters now
and posters then, storytellers today have acquired a much higher retention rate
for their stories than storytellers back then.

If you notice too, a lot of promising stories sort of just died right in the middle,
right in the subforum's formative stages. Likely from lack of attention, because
the proper audience had not formed yet.

People don't really post one-shot "hey! check this out! this spearman killed my tank!"
sort of stories anymore. People nowadays are more interested in keeping to their
stories longer (generally). And people keep coming back to check out the stories
because of it. Problematically though, it's harder to DRAW new users into the subforum
compared to the mainstays like the modding forums, Strategy & Discussion &
General Discussion. Most people only come to S&T through stumbling upon it really.

And that was really how S&T must've started out.
People talking about random stuff (hey! i just lost to this, lol!)
at the watering hole that was S&T.

myself said:
One thing that I would like to add as well is the emphasis on the community-like aspect of the subforum now. Looking at lot of the older stories, so many updates get posted with not a single commentator in between. That partially affects early/mid story death when the writer feels that no one is paying any attention to their story. It was still at least true to some extent when I started out too, with several updates being posted without an interjection in between. I almost considered abandoning the story at least one point. It was also true for a few other stories posted around the same time or shortly before. Around some time in 2011 though, that really changed. Nowadays, when someone first posts a story, they literally become assaulted (usually by METY or Tambien) with a welcome and the S&Ters dote on the newborn story. In order words, you could sort of say that this community "looks out for its own".

In Civ-terms, we've graduated from hunter-gatherer to city state.

I'd also like to say that I don't think much of it would be possible if some of the S&Ters didn't get together and make a group consigned to S&T regulars.
It created the concept of shared characteristics, that is, a group of people with the common interest of Civ4 stories. That kind of cohesion paved the
way for a kind of collective consciousness.

In turn, this group was really only born for the primary purpose of expressing spam.
So you could say that all of these little intricacies and events were born from the primordial spam.

MaxWar said:
The studying of the evolution of a subforum is actually a fascinating subject isn't it?
As you said, the Community aspect of the actual S&T is important. I am probably the least old regular at this point, from joining in autumn 2011.

I personally only bought civ4 in late 2011 so never visited the forum before.

I came a bit late to the party but I witnessed the last quarter of 2011 and it was quite active.

So far 2012 seems to be a bit more tranquil Hope the place still has some good years ahead, i like it here.

And I really like this bit:
myself said:
So you could say that all of these little intricacies and events were born from the primordial spam.

MaxWar said:
Good Idea Olaf, I noted the infos so far in text file. I think ill use your template as a basic form now.

On my initial scan of page 32 i did note.

-Start date
-Title
-Author
-Link

Im not sure Finish date is really necessary. Genre definitely is i would say, but it seems that pretty much all the early "stories" were not really stories but merely "Reports" ... And this is actually what most of the folks called them too.

They were more or less detailed descriptions of what the player did and what happened in the game. Thats pretty much it, reports.

It appears that the more fancy categories we have now ( narrative, script, comedy, history book etc ) came later. In the beginning it was mostly purely old fashioned AAR. It was not very artistic in the beginning.

At this point im getting interested to learn about when the turning points happened. When did the stories really became stories and not mere reports?

If we pursue this investigation long and seriously enough, some pretty interesting stuff might be found i think

Ive heard and read some from Flouzemaker, he did seem to be very influential for the narrative/comedy genre. I actually made some research just now and found that there is a francophone Comic strip publisher who has the name of flouzemaker. Comic strip publisher, really ?

There is also a youtube user with the name flouzemaker, account was created in 2006. Last activity was days ago. I sent him a message, you know, Maybe

The members from that generation are still active and fairly cohesive, though we're all "separate tribes" now with some overlap and not necessarily exclusive to just one thing. (NES, Imperium OT, DoC development)

mrrandomplayer compared us to Celts in one other thread but I think a better analogy would be that members of the generation I'm from would be the Roman Empire, split into now loosely affiliated Italians.

Like I said I gathered what I could from what little information I had.

Being one of the "old timers", when would you say that there was a dark age? I keep hearing about how there was a downfall and whatnot, so I wasn't sure where to put it.

Like I said I gathered what I could from what little information I had.

And thus the interview came to you. See?! It's inevitable that you keep researching.

That's what happens when you release your work to the world: It doesn't belong solely to you anymore, but to all those affected by it in part too. ;)

The Regression Age: November 2008 - March 2010
-The stories of Civ 4 S&T once had much character, but this seems to slow down to almost a grinding halt at this time. The lively tales now turn to short gameplay blurts or tidbits of information. The sad times show how the sub-forum regresses, but it still has the numbers and power it had before, but it is misguided and misdirected. This power was soon to go, though, as the age of dominance would come to an end soon enough.

Whoa there. These are fighting words.

It is great that this era ended in 2010, which is when the real regression era started, because March 2010 is the beginning of the Great Migration of S&Ters out of S&T to Forum Games and IOT.

Being one of the "old timers", when would you say that there was a dark age?

The Epic and Parrot Wars. Those solidified the emigration because the old guard wanted nothing to do with the spam. Once IOT gained a subforum, the emigration was complete.

Really, the greatest advantage CivIV S&T has is that it stays perpetually 16. It doesn't really get older. The fact it remains young means new people are continually coming in, which means new people are continually picking up Civilization IV.

Top Bottom