The Deity Challenge Line-up #39 - Austria

Turn 322 Culture win (edit: oops, I missed a digit :lol: )

been a while since a game took this long :/

Spoiler :

everything was coming according to plan until I lost the World Fair and Monty ran way with it. In the end, I needed close to 70k worth of culture and my tourism was all kinds of smokes and mirrors I guess.

Waiting for Oxford to burn it on Internet is not a good idea, I think this is what delayed me the most

At least I did the ISS world wonder :)

Attachments

• au1.jpg
    au1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 53
  • au2.jpg
    au2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 54
  • autwin.jpg
    autwin.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 73
Yeah, 70k is the kinda level where I usually just give up! Well done for persevering! :)

Spoiler :
Monty
is one of the few AIs who sending to war isn't gonna bring that number down!

In hindsight, I should have gone Observatories earlier, Oxford into Radio and it would have snowballed more potently. I really REALLY like the UA. It's like hey thanks for building me the city so I don't get to bother with it, I'll just take it from you thanks. And you can just annex it outright and everything's cool.

Late game marriage is very dicey as you have to provide enough of a happiness cushion so that it doesn't simply break you down immediately

Purchasing with Austria does seem worth it. Ive seen the ai pull it off on really dominant huns and sweden and it worked so well for Austria.

Has anyone experimented with the UB? It seems like a pretty good plus. I remember playing a game with Austria and I got a big amount of great people. I think they can pull off a good SV because of this.

It comes far too late to make any significant difference, surely?

UB stacks with garden, LToP etc, and definitely made more scientists for me.

yeah the UB is quite good, I think I made a lot of writers and artists that I usually do. I think I got 3 musicians in somewhere around 50 turns which is quite nice. And that was after Arts Funding got repealed.

I definitely think Austria are quite underrated

I think it's a bit of an illusion.

Getting 25% more GPP that late in the game is unlikely to lead to a lot more Great people. If you have already the opener, garden and national epic you go from 175% to 200% which is a 14% increase of GPP. 12.5% with Ltop.

It will lead to your acquisition of them faster but this matter for the last turns only. Giving you a late GP in some scenarios. If we consider a scenario where:
at turn 100 I have 2 writer slot producing 1+6=7 GPP
at turn 100 I also have the national epic, the opener and a garden for a 1.75 multiplier
at turn 140 I get LtoP for a 2 multiplier
at turn 160 I get Cofee house for a 2.25 multiplier

Then after 300 turns I have 2990 GPP while without the Cofee house 2744. The total cost of 7 writers is 2800 (assuming no free ones). While the first strategy indeed here lead to one more writer, the second will only need 5 turns to catch up.

I think it's not just about how many you can get by the end, but also it speeds up the generation of those you will get either way. And for a Culture game, the earlier, the better

That's the thing though the speeding is really small.

It's not that the UB does nothing, it's that it does very little.

Also I forgot about the +25% from ideology in my calculations so the results are even worth in reality

My third run at this map, I married a military CS because it was giving me units with only one promotion. No barracks in the city!

I lost and recaptured that city. On recapture it was automatically annexed, that was kind of disappointing. When I first married it, I kept it as a puppet.

Really I felt no competition from the AIs, so I am a little disappointed my finish turn time was not faster. I was three SS parts ahead of the closest competition, and less than twenty turns slower than when I went Internet first trying for a CV (and started building parts when that was not coming together). Starting with Eiffel Tower, I snagged all the later -- except SOL.

Two CS marriages which I lost to late game wars.

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl39-t354sv.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl39-t354sv.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 83
I forgot to mention I was friends with
Spoiler :

Monty and Nobunaga

:p

most of the game and they were kind enough to act like a makeshift bank every time I needed some cash for stuff.

Turn 322 Culture win ... been a while since a game took this long

Well, I am appropriated impressed because I could not get a CV from this map and not so long ago you were struggling with CV! Did you just need to follow the recommendations from that thread? And maybe you said so, and I missed it, but what SP? Freedom? What wonders did you get?

Well, I am appropriated impressed because I could not get a CV from this map and not so long ago you were struggling with CV! Did you just need to follow the recommendations from that thread? And maybe you said so, and I missed it, but what SP? Freedom? What wonders did you get?

Yeah, I did. I also watched some LPs by nicky, he specializes in culture wins.

I'm still struggling to get a good time out of it though but for the most part, things seems to be working.

Since the map was @ss, I had all the time in the world to snipe most relevant wonders. Happiness as an issue as well as getting the 5th city up (bought) for extra cargo ships

Top Bottom