The Great Lighthouse

Now why on earth would you do that?! :eek: Hmm, methinks this must be an islands map heavy on coast. Why else would you disable that wonder?

By the way, I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with that decision. :huh: Sure the Great Lighthouse is powerful on coastal maps, but a lot of other wonders are quite powerful too. Have the Pyramids and the Great Library been disabled because we have a Philosophical team, for instance? Is the Colossus still available? How much more has been altered?

I sure hope we won't find any other major game elements have been disabled down the track. If a team were to research a tech (e.g. Masonry, Literature or Metal Casting) only to find that the wonder had been disabled when they reached it, they might be rather... irate. ;) Quite a lot of the strategy in the game involves planning out what wonders you want to get. One of the options we were considering was racing for the Great Lighthouse... I'm sure many other teams were too. I guess we can all throw that out the window now.

Is there anything else should we all know before we continue planning our strategy in this game?

"Mapmaking" didn't also involve placing wonders and altering the core gameplay last time I checked... to me that falls under the category of "modding". But whatever.

I would have been slightly less irritated if this had been announced at the same time the map was released. Either way, I'd like to push for any other "surprises" regarding the core game mechanics (if there are any) to be released now, so we don't go and plan out a strategy only to find that another wonder we were going for has been disabled, or something. It's fair enough considering we were all expecting to play an unmodded, regular civ game.

By the way, I just checked in-game, and not only is there no announcement in the event log of the Great Lighthouse having been built, but the wonder is also still visible in the technology tree under "Sailing". So if this announcement hadn't been made, teams would never have known until they researched the techs and suddenly found they couldn't build the wonder. Thus we would also have no way of knowing if any other wonders were disabled. So we need to know now, I think, the answer to the question of whether anything else has been altered with the core game. Otherwise it's unfair to teams who - for example - research Metal Casting and suddenly find they can't build the Colossus.

So if this announcement hadn't been made, teams would never have known until they researched the techs and suddenly found they couldn't build the wonder.

Which is why, I assume, that this announcement was made. So we'd know. So long as we all know, then it's an even playing field and I don't have any problem with that. Now if, as you say, that we will be finding out about more of this kind of thing at random times then it might not be fair (not to mention it would also be somewhat like random events), but I doubt that is what is planned.

No, there are no more barbarian surprises.

Unless you count them missing Archery, but that's not a surprise to anyone familiar with WorldBuilderSave's.

Edit: hmmm no more surprises OK! BUT we did sign up for a land based map and taking great lighthouse out of the game makes me wonder what kind of a map this is.

"Mapmaking" didn't also involve placing wonders and altering the core gameplay last time I checked... to me that falls under the category of "modding". But whatever.

I would have been slightly less irritated if this had been announced at the same time the map was released.

I wouldn't consider it "modding" as such, but you can't seriously tell me that the annoucement being made now instead of two days ago has made an iota of difference to any teams planning.

On a side note i've played against Dave a few times and he is a fantastic player who know all the ins and outs of the game mechanics so i trust he had a very good reason for doing this. And i'm sure there is enough clever people out there to work out what this move says about the map we are playing on

Edit: hmmm no more surprises OK! BUT we did sign up for a land based map and taking great lighthouse out of the game makes me wonder what kind of a map this is.

I believe the game vote was for mapmakers choice who stated it would be a mystery map

I didn't realise this was a genuine feature of the map until everyone started complaining about it. I dislike it on principle, but I'm happy to trust the mapmaker and map checkers' decision on this for now.

I think the timing of the announcement is about right in the scheme of things. They surely couldn't tell us before we picked our leaders. At the start of turn 1 would have been better, but the end of turn 1 isn't so bad.

I believe the game vote was for mapmakers choice who stated it would be a mystery map

2 teams voted for map maker's choice the other 4 gave specific conditions. I don't think this vote was for a complete mystery map!

In any case teams have to know whether the map is land based or sea based from before to avoid overpowering picks in certain conditions like the Vikings or the dutch on sea based maps!

2 teams voted for map maker's choice the other 4 gave specific conditions. I don't think this vote was for a complete mystery map!

In any case teams have to know whether the map is land based or sea based from before to avoid overpowering picks in certain conditions like the Vikings or the dutch on sea based maps!

Yet when DaveMcW posted this;

DaveMcW said:
Based on these results, I will be designing a custom mystery map for the Demogame. I already have several ideas about what to do, thanks to great suggestions from several of the teams.

No one objected to Dave's conclusion from the vote.

Well I hope the mapmakers did not make something silly and half our tiles will be sea tiles, cause the game will be seriously screwed up.

Top Bottom