The Queen's Commission: An Imperium OffTopicum Game

Robert Can't

Éponine
SIGN-UPS STILL OPEN
Feel free to join

Until I see our home again I will not drink of worthy blood. Until I see our home again I will forgo the bonds of family. Until I see our home again I will fight my Queen's enemies. No more will I seek aught but gold glory or death. Until I see our home again I will carry out my Queen's commission.

You are a long way from home, on the very edges of the map. You've sailed far from all you know in the Evenfall Kingdom to the not entirely charted waters of the Southern Sea.

In the west are the rich shores of the Oronsathy Coast hiding a deadly interior of sprawling savannas. The catfolk of this country may roam in nomadic tribes but they are indefatigable and organised. Stories tell of giant birds the size of men prowling the rocky hills and cattle the size of ships the sail the open grasslands in an eternal migration. However there is a reason the Queen has interest here, the Sapphire Isles are renown for their precious stones and early explorers have returned from the interior with diamonds larger than their heads. Riches await any who could brave these lands.

In the east a wholly different continent lurks, dubbed New Savony by its first explorer. Lush with thick vegetation it hides many secrets and many treasures. Great reptiles roam those lands and the local populations have domesticated many of the smaller ones. These people are fierce and willing to defend their treasures with monstrous force but you'll be lucky if you even live to see them - for here you will find horrific diseases which are only made worse by the sweltering heat and oppressive humidity. Food and people will rot alike - poisonous plants and vicious animals will accost you at every corner - but you will press on for in these jungles lies such great treasure as you can not imagine.

You have taken the Queen's commission and sworn to renounce all of normal life to come out here with your loyal band of soldiers - men and women who have given up everything for a chance at gold, glory or death. Establish your fort and carry out your duty, drink deeply of the blood of your enemies for here you will find all three - gold, glory and death.

Welcome to another Robert Can't game brought to you by me, Robert Can't. In this Ixalan inspired IOT you will lead a band of vampire conquistadors into a hostile new frontier. Game play will be similar to that of recent Fallout games hosted here - you will have a group of soldiers under your control and you will build forts, upgrade them, explore for treasure, and fight the enemies of the Queen (or each other, because nobody wants to be the group with the least treasure). I'm aiming for a regular and quick update schedule with a focus on character and narrative as seen in previous games I've run.

You will play as the leader of your band and will sometimes want to role play into thinking what would benefit your character as opposed to the greater good. You've already taken the Queen's commission which means you have vowed to forgo fresh blood unless it is that of the enemies of the Queen who reside on these lost shores, until such a time as you have uncovered sufficient treasure to pay your way home. To have already made this choice you have clearly been motivated by a deep greed, ambition or love of your Queen. Whichever it is the only way you can find satisfaction is by uncovering great treasures from these lands.

Forts
You start the game by establishing your fort somewhere on the shores of the Oronsathy Coast or New Savony. This will be the base of operations from which you can begin your quest for blood gold and will also be where the ships will come to pick up your treasures (if you survive). Over the course of the game you can establish new forts on the coast or in the interior to secure resources or to act as staging grounds for further expeditions. A Fort requires at least 5 soldiers in its garrison to be maintained, any less than that and it and any stored goods will begin to decay.

Here is a list of potential improvements you could build in your forts.
Spoiler :

The Fort
A base of operations with a large wooden wall or palisade, required to build further upgrades.
Storage Capacity: 400
Population Capacity: 50
Cost to Construct: 20 Wood, 25 Tools

Barracks
A place for your loyal soldiers to rest their heads
Increases population capacity by 10
Cost to Construct: 25 wood, 5 tools

Trading Station
Sometimes you will find friendly locals, with those ones you might wish to trade with them before you drink their blood.
Cost to Construct: 10 wood, 5 tools

Chapel
From here a chaplain might be employed to give out the sacraments of blood. You may have taken the commission but you can still drink from the sanguine chalice.
Cost to Construct: 15 tools, 5 precision tools, 75 wood

Shipwright
Only those forts that have become most prosperous may ever see themselves building their own small ships, but therein lies great opportunity.
Cost to Construct: 50 tools, 250 wood

Warehouse
Where will you keep all the treasures that you have accumulated? In the warehouse of course!
Increases Storage Capacity by 100
Cost to construct: 100 wood, 5 tools

Armourer
The locals will use every weapon in their arsenal to kill your loyal soldiers. You must be prepared.
Cost to construct: 50 tools, 10 precision tools

Blacksmith
The Queen's ships may bring us the supplies we need to survive, but if we are to prosper we might need to begin to make our own.
Cost of construction: 50 tools, 50 wood

Mine
Be it for gold, for jewels or for anything else a mine is the best way to get things in the ground to be not in the ground.
Cost to construct: 250 wood, 50 tools

Other buildings will be added as they become relevant

You will notice that several times various goods were mentioned as being required for things, well here is now a list of some of the goods you may find yourself looking for.

Spoiler :
Food
Needed to survive, gained by fishing, gathering or trading.

Wood
Comes from trees, used for basic construction. Can be gathered by your soldiers.

Stone
Extracted from the ground, used to build stone walls or other important buildings. Probably not that easy to find just lying around on a beach.

Iron
A catch all term for useful metals that are not gold. This is used in tools and weapons and can be extracted by a mine, could also be traded for (or stolen, I suppose).

Precision tools
Good luck making these on some horrific beach on a distant island where even the plants are trying to kill you. they can be gained from the Queen's ships though.

Armour
Also weapons but it all comes under one title. This is what your soldiers have to make sure they don't die to stabby things. Each solider comes with a set fresh off the Queen's ships and that is probably where you will have to get any more you might want.

Treasures!
These are what you are here for, they come in all sorts of types so get excited!

Vehicles

This is how you are going to get around the watery bits. Useful for speedy travel.
Note on capacity and crew: Each person takes up 5 capacity, this includes minimum crew. Hold space can not be used to transport soldiers.

Spoiler :
Raft
Good for travelling with heavy objects, probably not much else.
Capacity: 5 per wood
Min Crew: (varies)

Canoe
Good for travelling to places. Can be used to assist the process of moving a raft along a river.
Cost: 50 wood, 1 tool
Capacity: 25
Min Crew: 1

Dingy
This one has a sail. Maybe its good for fishing or small expeditions over water. It can also navigate the shallows and rivers.
Cost 150 wood, 5 tools
Capacity: 50
Min Crew: 1

Small Boat
This boat has a sail and might even have a deck. It could be used to travel distances by the sea and is a good way of carrying heavy things quickly.
Cost: 300 wood, 30 tools
Capacity: 100
Hold Space: 30
Min Crew: 3

Bigger Boat
Like the small boat but bigger.
Cost: 600 wood, 50 tools
Capacity: 250
Hold Space: 250
Min crew: 3

Queen's Ship
How did you get one of these? Did you steal it?
Capacity: 2000
Hold Space: 2500
Min Crew: 20

Expeditions

Its not all about the fort. In fact you will probably not find any treasure by sitting in your fort and dossing about. Instead you must go on expeditions! To go on an expedition indicate how many people you are taking with you, where you want to go, how you are travelling and what you are taking with you. Bear in mind each person has capacity to carry 5 in weight and each person consumes 2 in food (Do not fear too much though as food can be hunted and gathered along the way). Each expedition consumes 5 wood per week for firewood. Beasts of burden can be useful if you can get your hands on some and will also increase the speed of an expedition.
Each week you will progress a certain amount on your expedition and be confronted by events that have potential to be positive or negative. You uncover more of the map by doing this and it is up to you when you want to turn back and make the journey back to the fort. Be aware though that it may take as much time to get back to the fort as it did to get out there and any treasure you gather will have to be safely transported back.

The Queen's Ships

Every few months a Queen's Ship may show up to gather your treasures and exchange them for recruits, weapons and other useful goods. Try to make sure if you hear that a ship is coming that you will be back at your fort with all your treasure in time.

Actions

Actions are what you will be ordering your soldiers to do in a given week. Each week you assign how many soldiers are performing an action in a given place.

Hunt, Fish and Forage: Each soldier assigned to do this can make 5 food. Some things can make this easier such as having a suitable boat.

Acquire Lumber: Wood is needed to build the warehouses to store all the gold. 5 can be gathered by each soldier assigned to that duty. Each expedition consumes 5 wood per week for firewood.

Scout: Avoid nasty unexpected encounters, more easily find treasure, increase speed of your expedition. The more soldiers you have scouting the better you will be in all these aspects..

Heal: Wounded soldiers slow down the party and also might die. Assign someone to have a chance of them getting back on their feet.

Construct: Each building or vehicle costs 1 week of 1 soldier's labour for each tool. So to build a warehouse with 5 tools it could take 1 soldier 5 weeks or 5 soldiers 1 week.

Make Tools: For when you need tools. (requires blacksmith) Convert iron to tools at a ratio of 5:1 with a single worker able to make 10 tools a week.

Make Armour: For when your tools aren't good enough (requires armourer) Tools to Armour at a ratio of 5:1 with a single work able to make 2 sets of armour a week.

Things you might say (Or already have said):

Spoiler :
So we're vampires right? What does that mean in this world?

It means your drink blood in order to sustain your life. Immortality is probably out of your grasp but youth for a few bonus decades is nice. You can't turn into a bat and you can walk in the sun and that. Garlic isn't going to do you harm and neither are stakes (in fact well placed ones may save you from charging animals). In this world Vampirism was bestowed on the first vampire by an Angel descended from a different plane. After taking the gift the first vampire united the Evenfall Kingdom and since then a long line of monarchs has ruled from the capital in Savony.
Blood comes in three general categories: worthy blood, enemy blood and divine blood. Worthy Blood being blood given freely by a subject or friend, enemy blood being that which is feasted on after vicious combat, and divine blood being from the ever full chalice first brought down by the Angel. Blood from which is found in the chalices of the church and distributed during holy rites.
Drinking the blood of the living that is not freely given is generally considered very bad - don't do it or someone (or some angel) will be dispatched to come and get you.

A lot of this stuff seems super expensive and would take hundreds of turns to get. Pls fix this.

You actually start the game very well off with a band of fully equipped soldiers eager to strike out into the unknown. This is not a settlement game this is an exploration (In the steal the gold sense of exploration) game. You can trade the treasures you find for the resources to build the improvements and I don't imagine your fort will be seeing many upgrades until you have at least completed one treasure seeking expedition.

Conquistadors are problematic.

Not if they're vampires! They you know they are the bad guys.

In seriousness though if you find colonialism related games offensive it might be a good idea to give this one a pass. I understand some people are more affected than others by this sort of content so this is here as a sort of content warning: there will be blood, spilled in battle and drunk by vampires, there will be exploitation of cultures based on standard western fantasy tropes (Specifically those riffing on Mesoamerican culture) that will be considered by some to be problematic. If this is you then this probably isn't the game for you.

So what are naming conventions like?

I will be leaning towards Iberian sounding or general vampiric sounding names for any NPCs but I am not going to constrict anyone else. The Evenfall Kingdom spans across a huge continent that probably includes the linguistic rip offs of most earth languages as needed.

Do we have to drink human blood to survive?

No but as you go longer without it your increased physical and mental strength will being to diminish.

Have there been wars and conflicts in the Evenfall Kingdom recently?

Yes, the Evenfall kingdom has been in constant wars to unite the continent that it sits on and these only ended about 5 years ago.

Who were these wars fought against?

A number of kingdoms on the continent including ones populated by orcs many of which have gone on to become pirates in the southern seas.

Are there pirates?

Yes, orcish and human refugees.

Other things you might say will be updated as you say things.

How to sign up

Character Name: Name
Fort Name: Also a name
Fort Location: Point to it on the map if you do not have access to something like paint feel free to describe a location you want to go for. If you just can't be bothered to use it then take a moment to consider if you really be bothered to play if you can't be to draw a dot on a map.
About Me: tell us a bit about your vampire, what are they like and what has motivated them to take up the commission. This will be used to determine the SPECIAL TRAITS everyone will start the game with.
The more here then the better because is like details. If you want to draw a picture go for it, if you want to write a treatise on the early childhood of your character that if fine too, and if you just want to write 2 sentences then don't worry, you're under no pressure.

Updates: Updates will be small and regular with one expected every few days. If I haven't got orders from you in that time I will assume that everything will continue on as in the previous turns. If you haven't resolved an event I can do that automatically for you.
Every player who is currently on an expedition will be getting at least one event per update.
The map will also show expedition progress.

Map

Last edited:
Last edited:
Post also reserved

If something don't make sense please just say. I'm not saying I rushed this out but In my eagerness to post I might not have thought everything 100% through

Name: Arrosa Aurrea
Fort Name: Amets
Fort Location:

upload_2018-11-16_14-36-50.png

Background: Sole Survivor.

Possessions:
-Shattered medal and torn banner of the 5th Alvanian Regiment, slain almost to a man in the battle of Blue Forest
-A rusted steel locket, locked and missing a key.
-A few day's rations, at almost all times.
...............................................................................................................................................

Words spoken about her: "A successful commander on almost all account, at least, until her last war..."
----
"She? She frightens me. Most people change after going through what she did. She? She didn't change at all."
----
"I still don't understand how she managed to escape that ambush completely unscathed... and still..."

..................................................................................................................................................

Words spoken by her: "At first, I thought that killing was just because the Queen ordained it. I wasn't a soldier at the time--killing was for my elder brothers, not for someone like me. Married off, and with a family of my own. You know how it is. Those who carry on the family legacy go on foolhardy quests to better the family's prospects while others are expanded to secure allies"

"And then the war took on a course for the worse. I looked at the face of the man who killed my brothers and wondered if killing could really be as hilarious as he seemed to be feeling. I joined the army after that."
------
"General, I have accomplished the task as you have demanded, but I no longer have a regiment."
.......................................................................................................................................................
A small conversation

"My life has come to its culmination."

"So you have told me."

"At first, I killed evil men. Murderers, the men wearing the colors of the enemy, bandits. I killed them because I wondered if it would be fun. It was."

"And then, I killed good men. The innocents whose only crime is that the Queen demanded their death. I killed them because I wondered if it never mattered at all--whether they were good or evil."

"Did it matter?"

"No. They were both just as enjoyable. Now, now there's nobody left to kill. My men are dead. The suppression of the rest of these fools will be handled by others. My family calls for me back home. This is the end. There's nothing left."

"I wouldn't be so final."

"Oh?"

"Have you heard of New Savony?"

Character Name: Capitan Martin de Arguelles
Fort Name: Castelo de Lenore
Fort Location:

My Darling Lenore

I count the days since I have last shared the pleasure of your company with a heavy hand, and a heavier heart. The Eglantine, so named for your darling of a mother, is a temperamental beast, like her namesake, but her crew is brave, and strong, and we managed to bring her through the storm I wrote to you last with nary a scratch, and yesterday afternoon, the clouds broke and showed us the welcome sight of the heavenly globe.

At first count, we lost, in the storm, three cattle, of burst hearts, and seven of the ship’s cats appear to have been washed away, though it is of their nature to skulk in the dark places, so some of them may emerge, yet.

At long last, the coastline of Savony Nova is before us, and I must set to the task of mapping for the Eternal Queen, and, in her glory, find the location that is to be Castelo de Lenore, so named in your honor. This is a hostile and alien land, overgrown with plants that must surely be drawn from the abyss, and toothed creatures of a most unpleasantly Stygian in nature, and I hope that your name may bring a light of civilization here that I myself no longer possess. I confess I would be much happier, now, tending the small manor of which we always talked, than carving out a new life in this new world, but that is not the fate The Lady has given me, nor is it the one I have made for myself. Instead, I am to bring her light to the heathens on these shores as I once did to the Savages of our own lands.

Truth be told, I care little for the twisted and benighted men who inhabit these shores. The can rot damned for all I care. I am here for one purpose and one purpose alone. I am here to hunt monsters.

Ironic, isn’t it, that I am again tasked with hunting the creatures I was once castigated for hunting, and before then instructed to kill. Those are distinctions for men better than me. But, tell me, my dear Lenore, how I could not hunt them again, when those foul creatures had besmirched all that we held dear. The Clans of the Ashen Ghenash, the Dhamab, and the Digauga will not soon forget the name Arguelles, so many of them have fallen beneath my blade, but still it is not enough. Until there are none who yet hold their ancient clan-names, I hunt the outlaws, the Pirate-Kings of the Orc clans who have not taken her sacrament in Her name.

But this, Lenore, my love, I mostly do in your name. I do this so that you may rest more easily. I do this so your accusing specter does not pursue me again and again into the sleepless nights. I do it so that the fiends who took you from me feel the suffering they inflicted upon you tenfold. I do it so that they may never find rest again. Everything I do is for you.

It is for that reason that I have supped of the Sanguine Goblet, that I have taken Her blessing, and it is for that that I have postponed my death, my reunion with you in the Heavens. So that, when again I see you, I can look you in the eyes without shame. That I can know I am a man worth to call himself your Husband.

I love you, My Dear Lenore, and count down the days until again I see you, though it will be in the next world.

Yours eternal and devoted Husband,

Martin de Arguelles.

Last edited:
Character Name: Aukon
Fort Name: Castelo dos Camilla-e-Zargo

Listen: this is a story told in the capital, a story about a state of decay. It is a story told to scare the germs of ambition out of children. It is not a story you will find in books, except perhaps in compendiums of curious hearsay, or bedtime stories told by a girl to a king. It is a story whose very details warp and weft from telling to telling. But, somewhere under the frayed threads, this is the truth.

Once, there were Three. Their original names are long forgotten, but they are cycled into history as Zargo, Camilla, and Aukon. In their homeland, they were adventurers, three childhood friends who escaped their backwater hometown in the cover of night, seeking glory and a new life Elsewhere. Through odd job after odd job, quest after quest, tribulation after tribulation, the Three did not part. As above, so below: true companions.

In the fourteenth year of their wandering, they slew a particular daemon atop a far hill, and returned to a nameless town--only to awake the next day with royal guards at the doorstep of their inn. For they had just slain a beast under a royal bounty. They became heroes in the royal court, instant favourites of the Queen. Now flushed with knighthoods and with an estate in a lush corner of the Evenfall Kingdom to their combined name, the Three settled in their new vale--and became the Three Who Rule.

The storytellers say that, with travel in the past, the years grew longer, the dry seasons lazier and the wet seasons more resplendent; and so set in change. None of the Three Who Ruled knew what caused it, or even that it was happening at all; none of the Three Who Rule were aware of the creeping dementia, or how they grew frailer and their bodies more inset, and none of the Three Who Ruled noticed how their once-benign stewardship turned into a benighted autocracy. None of the Three Who Rule questioned that they stripped the peasants' books away, raised the peasants' taxes to starvation levels, or forced their peasants into mass blood games for their own amusement.

That was until, one night, Zargo and Camilla sent their guards to gather the trembling peasants before them--for the announcement of their marriage. Zargo and Camilla proclaimed that they would become Hierophant and Hierophantess, in eternity. Aukon had not been told, but that was fine, Zargo and Camilla insisted. Nothing would change, they insisted; Aukon would become High Councillor, they insisted.

Aukon, it is said, remembered everything, and went mad.

The Three had been broken; the Three Who Rule became the Three Who Ruled. That very morning, Zargo and Camilla were found dead in their newly shared bed, their bodies wasted away into nothing but skeletons.

As for Aukon's fate, accounts differ. Some say Aukon took his own life; others say the peasants put him to death; the most credible ones say that he disappeared into the woods and became an ascetic. Still others say that Aukon returned to the capital, spun a tale of sorrow, reminded the Queen of what he had once done, requested from her a letter of marque, and sailed away into the South Seas.

That can't be right, can it?

Last edited:
Character Name: Raul (Title: the Black)
Fort Name: Garra fuerte de ébano (Fort Ebony Claw)
Fort Location: Black Dote in the file attached
About Me:
An old man dressed in rags with a face looking like he been beaten a couple times sit in the dark damp cell. His arms chained to the wall as stare at a group of armed men on the opposite side the cell wall. The most men of were guardsman except for one individual who was a young man dress in an high ranking officer uniform. The Officer nod his head as one the guardsman open the cell while two other unchain the old man. They bring him to wooden table with two chair with the young officer sitting in one of them.

"Sit him over there." said the officer to the guardsmans holding the old man as point to the other chair. After being seated old cough a few time before taking a good look at the young officer.

"horsehocky! they must be losing their touch in the navy sending a pup like you to inter-" said the old man mid sentence before a guardsmans slam the old head face first into the table and holding his head in place.

"Spare me the witty banter Mr. Darren, I don't have time for it. Am only going to ask you some information about a men named Raul you use to run with in your pirating days. If you give me what I want to know you can go free." said the officer as he take a relax posture. While doing this Mr. Darren go wide as his body shivers like if death was right behind him.

"I never thought I ever hear that cursed name again" said Mr. Darren as he rise his head as the guardsman let goes of it. Mr. Darren looks at the young officer for awhile before finally taking a deep breath regaling the officer about the tale of the dread pirate Raul the Black.

When I was younger those days Raul the Black one of the most deadliest pirate to roam southern seas was only know as Raul the cabin boy. Nobody know how he got on to our crew but boy was that kid smart. He learned all the tools of the trade of pirating and then some. At the age of 13 he killed his first man an navy officer when we was robbing a merchant vessel and from there he rise thought the ranks of the crew weather it be bribes or blood all the until he was the Captain right hand man. Even then the boy now a man till wanted more and so stage the most bloodiest mutiny I ever done seen in my life. I was lucky to keep my life back then but till every time I hear that name I fell that man till has my soul even when am not with him anymore.

After becoming captain the legend of Raul the Black began. His very title comes from that way he rob his victim in the black of night. His attack so well prepared that by the time the sun rise only ship parts are left drifting where the victim ship use to be. The man was both cunning and ruthless only leaving few witness alive to tell the tale. His late robbery which land him in pirate history was hijacking of one of the Queen's ships.We manage to get her but unfortunately we did know their was a second follow up so by the time got the riches off the ship the Queen's navy was already on us. Their was no way we could fight a second Queen's ship so the Captain decide then and there to surrender.

"Hmm such an interesting tale you have there Mr. Darren but, think your missing out the part with what happen to your captain" said the officer.

"That the mystery of the matter as nobody knows" said Mr.Darren as he shrug his shoulders.

"Well Mr.Darren it been nice listening to your tale bu-" said the officer as he nod for the guardsmans to bring the old men to his cell.

"Wait! shouted Mr.Darren as the guardsmans were about to grab hold of him which prompt the rise his in a gesture to stop the guardsmans. After seeing the guardsmans stop Mr.Darren to another breath before staring back at the officer.

"I don't know if this is true but I hazard that Raul is still alive." said Mr.Darren.

"Why do you say that?" said the officer waiting for Mr.Darren explanation.

"I feel the Queen has recruited him for that commission of her." said Mr.Darren. The young officer eyes widen a little after hearing Mr.Darren theory.

"Think about it not that hard to believe seeing that the captain was skilled enough to hijack one of her ship it only reasonable that she recruit him. If he die on the commission she loss nothing but if he live long enough the queen would gain more then ever before." said Mr.Darren while sitting smug in his chair.

"That is like the Queen invest in such for great rewards" said the officer as he nod his head.

"So am I free to go" said Mr.Darren as he stand up from the chair.

"Yes you are free to go" said the officer as he gesture one of the guardsmans who pull out a sword and stab Mr.Darren clean thorough.

Mr.Darren fall on the floor blooding out as he looks at the officer with eyes saying the word why.

"Apologies Mr.Darren but your theory is corrected and for that you cannot live as people can't know that the Queen had made such a deal especially with a pirate so I was order to tie up all loss ends" said the officer as he watch Mr.Darren life slip away.

"Blessed is the Queen long may she reign" said the officer.

"Blessed is the Queen long may she reign" said the guardsmans.

Attachments

• t1.png
    t1.png
    751 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Name: Jack
Fort: Dunstead

History: Unlike his peers, Jack is not a subject of the Crown. He was born to the Dunstead family, a modest but well connected family in the kingdom of England. He is, quite simply put it, a failure. In his homeland, he was kicked out for plotting against the king, in the Holy Empire he was forced to flee after an affair with a duchess, in the Most Serene Republic he nearly lost his head after killing a gentleman in a duel of honor. In order to save the family from further embarrassment, the Dunsteads called upon the last and most powerful connection available to them - the queen. Now, his destiny lies beyond the shores of the civilized world, with a loyal band of adventurers he's scrounged up, other lost men looking for new lives after being unable to meld into society.

Jack became a vampire after performing a favor for Nadine, an agent of the Crown and a minor noblewomen.

Last edited:

The Landing at Castelo de Lenore
The Voyage of The Eglantine

The first of the Queen's ships that took those who had taken the Commission into the Southern Seas was the Eglantine captained by Adrien Sotonores and in large part funded by the private fortune of Martin de Arguelles. Along with a large crew were around one hundred men and women soldiers were aboard under the leadership of the Queen's first five captains, brave and cunning conquistadors all.
The journey southwards from Evenfall was mostly uneventful and the Eglantine soon found herself sailing down the Oronsathy hoping to catch the eastward winds that would take it across the sea to New Savony. Once reaching the Strait of Sotonores the ship turned westwards and traced along the south coast of the Sapphire isles where it dropped of its first band under the leadership of Captain Jack Dunstead.

The Landing at the Sapphire Isles

Captain Jack making landfall on the Sapphire Isles quickly began the construction of base of operations at Camp Dunstead. Many traders from the Evenfall Kingdom had visited these lands before but it fell to Jack to establish the first permanent presence of the Queen's authority on these isles. Once the Eglantine had departed and work continued Jack's soldiers first began to notice Catfolk warriors watching them from the rocky outcrops to the east of the settlement.

The Second Landing

As the Eglantine continued along the coast many locations were considered by the shrewd Captain Raul, his eyes used to these waters through a life sailing them. Sotonores and Captain de Arguelles became increasingly agitated with the old man's patience, both of them eager to take the ship across the sea with each eastward wind that was caught in their sails. Raul somehow kept them at bay long enough though to find a location he was happy with. Solid ground on the banks of a great river delta rich with large beasts who wallowed in the shallow waters, thick with vibrant vegetation and flocking birds.
As soon as Raul's band and all its supplies were off the ship Sotonores turned his attention to finding a wind to take the rest of the Queen's soldiers across the southern sea. Meanwhile Raul's soldiers established a camp in good defensible ground and began to send out scouts.

The Crossing

Having caught an eastward wind the Eglantine began the crossing from Oronsathy to New Savony. The journey took several weeks and during that time only one other ship was sighted, a black sailed sloop thought to have been crewed by orc pirates. As soon as it was sighted though it clearly diverted course so as to not cross paths with the much larger Evenfall ship.
The rest of the journey was uneventful but after several weeks on a calm day one of Aukon's band, a soldier named Adric spotted a Sunbird flying in the distance - a good omen! A couple of days later land was sighted. The Eglantine sailed along the coast for a short while until reaching the mouth of a great river. It was here that Captain Aurrea decided to disembark with her band.

Amets, the First Fort

Captain Aurrea brought her soldiers ashore at the mouth of a great river. Lush vegetation lines its shores and after a few days of hard work a significant clearing was made in which the construction began. Her soldiers worked relentlessly to build the fort. Several of them had some training and expertise in carpentry so there was a high quality to these hastily erected fortifications.
At night there was a vigilantly kept watch and at several occasions large lizards the size of sheep would emerge from the undergrowth. Sometimes they were simply shooed away but one enterprising soldier started to set traps and managed to catch a few. The meat wasn't great but it was better than the ship's rations they had been living on for months.

An Unfortunate Landing

Sotonores brought the ship further south after Aurrea's landing and had, using the charts made during the first few voyages of exploration, identified a location with Captain Aukon for another fort to be established. Sitting on a peninsula just south of the last stop it looked from the charts to be a suitable place for a large ship to get in close to the shore.
Once they reached the place and unloading began a disaster almost struck as the ship ran aground on a reef just off the shore. Many worried about the possibility of an untimely termination of the whole endeavour but after unloading a lot of ballast to lighten the ship and a significant high tide several weeks after the landing it was possible for the ship to take once again to the seas.

The Last Stop

Captain de Arguelles almost feeling defeated during the long weeks waiting to get the Eglantine moving once again was overjoyed to be back at sea and hurtling towards his own destination. Sotonores planned to bring the ship to rest to an island further north before catching a northward wind that should take him all the way home. This island was where de Arguelles would leave the ship and set up his own fort. A couple of days before landing a large storm shook the ship but the crew were well prepared at this point and weathered it well.
When the ship reached the island Sotonores dropped anchor for the last time in these seas and de Arguelles made landfall. In the bay where the landing took place there was another structure already present. Some temple built by the natives in a lost time. It was overgrown and clearly disused. The crew of the Eglantine plundered what relics remained in it and stored them in the ship - the first bounty for their Queen.
Before setting sail Sotonores and de Arguelles shared one last night together in the Wardroom drinking fine port and talking about the days past and the days to come. In that candlelit cabin on that starry night on a foreign sea they felt a world away from the wars that had shaped them. Perhaps for every soldier that had taken the Queen's commission that was the real reason they were here, perhaps this wasn't about greed and glory, but rather running away from the death.
But if they did come here to run away from death, they had come to the wrong place.

Week 1
This is the first update, sign ups are still welcome and you can choose to sign up with a new fort or to be brought to one that already exists and conduct your expedition from there.
Some mistakes and oversights in the rules have been fixed but if you see anything feel free to say it.

Tips for your first expedition
Remember that each person consumes 2 food a week and an expedition as a whole will consume 5 wood each week. Be sure to either bring supplies with you or assign soldiers to brave the task of hunting or wood gathering.
Feel free to be as vague or specific as you like when it comes to the direction in which you want to travel.
Feel free to be as vague or specific as you like with most things really.

Dunstead
Spoiler :
Dunstead
Captain: Captain Jack
Soldiers: 25

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
120 Food
25 Tools
65 Wood
25 Armour
12 Sapphires
1 Dinghy

Issues: Restless Natives
Mineral Wealth: Rich (Sapphires)

Restless Natives
It has been a couple of months now since the Jack's fort on the Sapphire isles was constructed and even in the first few days it was attracting the interest of several locals. Everything changed a week ago though when one of Jack's Soldiers was on patrol and bumped into one who she noticed was carrying a bag of Sapphires under his arm. She quickly dispatched this lone catfolk wanderer and brought back the bag of Sapphires to the fort. At first there was much excitement at the sight of the large blue stones but this has faded into anxiousness as more and more catfolk have been spotted on the ridge that overlooks the fort. Some of whom look to be warriors which could indicate that the natives are looking for a fight.
This is a heartening prospect to many of the soldiers under Jack's command though as none have had a drop of blood to drink since taking the commission and now could be the first opportunity for battle and the ensuing feast.

Fort Ebony Claw

Big River, Big Meat

This delta is a fertile land of many wild beasts and the soldiers have greatly enjoyed hunting and killing them for meat that satisfying them in a way that has almost made the forget their want for blood. Some of the larger animals have tusks which could fetch good prices back home but though this place seems fertile and rich in plant life there is little in the way of hard treasure that might please the Queen, perhaps further inland or upstream there might be more riches to take.
Hunting here will be more efficient

Spoiler :
Fort Ebony Claw
Captain: Captain Raul the Black

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
210 Food
25 Tools
65 Wood
25 Armour
4 Canoes
1 Dinghy

Issues:

Amets, the First Fort

Call of the River
We have not been here long but already the Soldiers are eager to probe further into the depths of the continent. We have a secure base and a large river that should make this a great location from which to begin our expeditions.
Something has been unnerving some of the soldiers though. One guard reports he saw a figure swimming just under the surface of the water in the river. Another claims that she has seen lights moving upriver during the night. All these stories are making people feel a bit wary.

Spoiler :
Amets, the First Fort
Captain: Captain Arrosa Aurrea

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
175 Food
25 Tools
85 Wood
25 Armour
1 Dinghy
2 Canoes

Issues:
Rumours of things in the river

Camilla-e-Zargo

Dangerous Skies
For the last few weeks we've been working hard to establish our fort here underneath the cliffs of these foreign shores. Thanks to that unfortunate incident with the ship grounding we still have some of the extra supplies that were unloaded to lighten the ship so we likely won't have to worry about running out of tools. To make matters even better the reef on which the ship grounded is even more vibrant and full of life than we could ever have expected. This will allow for some excellent fishing and the Soldiers are already enjoying their first tastes of this continents seafood.
Another thing that the soldiers have been enjoying are the sights of giant bids soaring through the sky. Adric, always known for being the sharp one, investigated some of the cliffs above the fort and has located what he believes to be the nests of some of the birds. Some of the soldiers have also noted that large birds mean large eggs and large eggs mean large omelettes.

Spoiler :
Camilla-e-Zargo
Captain: Captain Aukon

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
150 Food
75 Tools
20 Wood
35 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Large birds
Good Fishing

Castelo de Lenore

Not Quite a Virgin Shore
While the crew were taking some parting gifts for the queen from the recently discovered temple next to which we have constructed our fort de Arguelles was looking at other signs of habitation on these shores. Scraps here and there of a camp that had been well hidden and a conspicuous lack of treasure in some of the outer chambers of the temple. All this suggested to the wry Captain of this expedition something that he had been well prepared for - pirates.
The temple's presence on this island is a clear signifier that there may be more native structures further inland but if pirates have been here once then they might one day return. We should be vigilant.

Spoiler :
Castelo de Lenore
Captain: Capitan Martin de Arguelles

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
120 Food
25 Tools
80 Wood
25 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Possible pirate base
Evidence of abandoned native treasures

Things that need a name (In each update I will list as of yet unnamed landmarks that you might want to give a name to)
The island that Fort Dunstead is on
The river and the delta that Fort Ebony Claw is on
The river that Amets is on
The reptiles eaten by the soldiers of Amets
The cliffs and reef by Camilla-e-zargo
The peninsula that Camilla-e-zargo is on
The type of birds at Camilla-e-zargo
Th island that Castelo de Lenore is located on

Also anything else you feel you might want to name - I'm not going to stop you naming things

Last edited:
Interest post

I'll write up proper orders tomorrow, but the Island Castelo de Lenore is on is called Esperanza, and the shoreline is called Costa Brumosa, and the canal is Agua Rota

Spoiler Fort Ebony Claw Stats :

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
210 Food
25 Tools
65 Wood
25 Armour
4 Canoes
1 Dinghy

Issues:

The delta will be called Manos de araña and the river called Mosca que huye
Orders:
Hunt:: 10 soldiers will go hunting
Scout (blue arrow is group 2 and red arrow group 1 on image attached file): 2 group of 5 soldiers will be traveling in two different directions with First group follow up the
Mosca que huye river while the Second group head south the to the coast of the delta.
Acquire Lumber: 5 will go looking for lumber

Attachments

• t1.png
    t1.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 153
Castelo de Lenore

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
120 Food
25 Tools
80 Wood
25 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Possible pirate base

5 soldiers to gather wood
5 soldiers to fish, using 1 dinghy
5 soldiers to build a Trading Post
5 soldiers, using a dinghy, to scout for signs of natives or pirates along the canal and island shore.
5 soldiers to scout the inland of the island for treasure, pirates, and natives.

Character Name: Diego Brando

Fort Name: Diego’s Landing (also known as the Fort at the End of the World)

Fort Location:

About Me: Diego was born to a common family, but he believes he is destined for greater things. After several unsuccessful attempts to break into the nobility, his ambition was recognised by the powers-that-be and he was offered this once in a lifetime opportunity.

If you were to describe Diego in one word it would be “ambition”. Diego’s ultimate goal is to carve out his own fiefdom in this new world. Of course he remains (at least outwardly) loyal to the Queen. But as long as the treasures keep flowing, how much does she and her court really care about what goes on in this new world?

Last edited:
5 soldiers, gather wood.

5 soldiers to hunt more or these delicious sheep lizard things.

10 soldiers along with the commander to investigate these mysterious lights in river. Watch them close at a hidden location. If we can’t figure it out within 5 days or are attacked by a hidden foe, begin casting a net into the river and see what we dredge up.

5 soldiers, head up the river with 5 extra food to see what’s further inland.

Softlock

Prepare for an update

Spoiler :

Camilla-e-Zargo

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
150 Food
75 Tools
20 Wood
35 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Large birds
Good Fishing

The cliffs shall be named the Paredes de Sangue
The reef shall be named Brasil
The peninsula shall be named Terra de Adric, after our soldier
The birds shall be named when we get our hands on one

5 soldiers to gather wood
5 soldiers to hunt; specifically go see if we can't find some of those bird eggs
5 soldiers to take a dinghy out and fish
10 soldiers to explore, head out along the coast to our northeast

Hardlock

Update to be posted in the next couple of hours

The Voyage of the Jeskai

The Jeskai, one of the Queen's Ships, has arrived in the Southern Seas, it began by dropping off an intrepid adventurer on the northern shores of New Savony and shall soon begin visiting the other settlements starting with Fort Dunstead in a fortnight.

Dunstead

At the Tent of High King Nmare Nmiar of the Melowihl Tribes

"My lord they are dead, every last one of them, slain in combat and as warriors. We were assembling on the hill outside their encampment. Our warriors sharpened their blades and sang the ancestral songs. We were following the scared laws of combat by offering the last night before battle to the warriors who have come before us. Those monsters though thought nothing of this rite, they do not obey these laws or traditions. They descended upon us and tore us apart in our sleep. Those warriors that tried to rally found themselves cut off and encircled, picked off in small groups.
"Sire I tell you these vampires are not like the ones we have dealt with before, their accents are strange and their clothes all different.These things seemed more like pirates than soldiers of the Hag's Crown.
"Once all were dead or scattered they began to feast, drinking the still warm blood from the bodies of our warriors. They made me watch and laughed as I struggled. Their leader, Jack, kept me alive so I could pass on a message to you. All the rest who did not escape are dead. Here is the message he gave me:

"This Land Now Belongs to the Crown of Evenfall by the rights of the Angels and by conquest. You may pay in either blood or treasure, but you will pay."

The battle was hard fought and several soldiers fell to the onslaught of the cat warriors. However many of those who fell in battle were no wholly dead and with the great influx of fresh blood the whole company feasted and was revived. Only two soldiers found a final reprieve and were buried by the company on the clifftops overlooking Fort Dunstead.

Spoiler :
Dunstead
Captain: Captain Jack
Soldiers: 23
Blood: 10/10

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
70 Food
25 Tools
65 Wood
25 Armour
12 Sapphires
1 Dinghy

Issues: Restless Natives
Mineral Wealth: Rich (Sapphires)

Restless Natives

Spoiler Part 1 :
It has been a couple of months now since the Jack's fort on the Sapphire isles was constructed and even in the first few days it was attracting the interest of several locals. Everything changed a week ago though when one of Jack's Soldiers was on patrol and bumped into one who she noticed was carrying a bag of Sapphires under his arm. She quickly dispatched this lone catfolk wanderer and brought back the bag of Sapphires to the fort. At first there was much excitement at the sight of the large blue stones but this has faded into anxiousness as more and more catfolk have been spotted on the ridge that overlooks the fort. Some of whom look to be warriors which could indicate that the natives are looking for a fight.
This is a heartening prospect to many of the soldiers under Jack's command though as none have had a drop of blood to drink since taking the commission and now could be the first opportunity for battle and the ensuing feast.

Fort Ebony Claw

In the Diary of Osvaldo, Soldier of the Queen
It was only when we cleaned up the beast it became clear to me that we really had defeated it. With its huge tusks and mighty strength it almost toppled our small boat many times. This creature was without doubt something of great strength and intelligence. I am almost sad looking into its now dead eyes. But the meat on its bones will feed us for days and the ivory of its tusks will surely be welcomed by the Queen.
We spoke to a group of cats too, they are personable once you get to know them and a few of them speak our language so communication was not too hard. We asked them about what awaited us upriver and we heard tale of a great tower in the hills that is visible from upstream and also while sitting around their campfire and sharing in their food they told us of the legend that a great palace exists at the source of the river - The legendary diamond halls that once were home to a great king whose reign extended far into the west. I'll take these tales back to Captain Raul, they may just be stories, but in this land - who knows?

The scouts heading upstream report that before they decided to return they found that the river becomes very wide and has a strong current. They've heard rumours from the locals of various landmarks that might lie several days travel into the interior and they have found more great beasts lurking in the waters.
The team exploring further through the delta have found more of the same - a land filled with numberless beasts and birds wallowing in the shallow waters. Upon reaching the southern edge of the delta they discovered that it is much like the other side - vast grassy plains broken up by small clumps of hardy trees.

Spoiler :
Fort Ebony Claw

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
285 Food
25 Tools
90 Wood
25 Armour
4 Canoes
1 Dinghy
15 Ivory

Issues:
Big River, Big Meat
Spoiler Pt.1 :

This delta is a fertile land of many wild beasts and the soldiers have greatly enjoyed hunting and killing them for meat that satisfying them in a way that has almost made the forget their want for blood. Some of the larger animals have tusks which could fetch good prices back home but though this place seems fertile and rich in plant life there is little in the way of hard treasure that might please the Queen, perhaps further inland or upstream there might be more riches to take.

Amets, the First Fort

The Merfolk
We knew there was something in the river, Captain Aurrea had even posted a watch to try and determine what it was but we still thought it was a good idea to sail upstream. And why not? We had our boat, made of the finest wood of Jyteria and piloted by us chosen sons and daughters of Evenfall. Within a few hours of leaving sight of camp though they revealed themselves. Their skin was brightly coloured with blues, greens and pinks, their faces were crowned by rows of fin like flaps and their eyes were a bright green that was matched by the jade weaponry they carried. These were Merfolk.
They attacked the boat and we did our best to fend them off but they came from below us. Benita managed somehow to get the boat to shore and we all jumped off out of fear of what might have happened if we had stayed within their reach. We fended them off from the shore - they seemed reluctant to come up out of their river. The damage on the boat meant that we had to leave it there though, so we came back on foot.
We'll take this to the captain now. The Merfolk were terrifying, but there is something much darker in these jungles now...
And she is on our side.

Spoiler :
Amets, the First Fort
Captain: Captain Arrosa Aurrea

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
150 Food
25 Tools
110 Wood
25 Armour
1 Dinghy
2 Canoes

Issues:
Rumours of things in the river

Spoiler :

Call of the River
We have not been here long but already the Soldiers are eager to probe further into the depths of the continent. We have a secure base and a large river that should make this a great location from which to begin our expeditions.
Something has been unnerving some of the soldiers though. One guard reports he saw a figure swimming just under the surface of the water in the river. Another claims that she has seen lights moving upriver during the night. All these stories are making people feel a bit wary.

Camilla-e-Zargo

A Loss in the Company
"I did try to warn him that he was going about it the wrong way but that ditz never really was good at listening to instructions."
"Adric, please, what actually happened?"
"Well Jamie was on the hunt for some of those nests, hoping to snatch an egg - he kept going on about omelettes. Anyway he decided to climb up via the southern route, where all the birds tend to flock. They spot him coming and begin flying at him. He draws his sword and cuts one of them down but his sword can't find any damage - these birds, it appears, are feathered flying lizards."
"You are joking."
"Nope, they have scales as well as feathers. So then they end up plucking up the poor Jamie and carrying him back to the nests where I can only assume he'll be eaten as food by whatever hatches out of those eggs."

Trying to get the eggs might be a bad idea.

Spoiler :
Camilla-e-Zargo
Soldiers: 24

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
200 Food
75 Tools
45 Wood
35 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Large birds
Good Fishing

Spoiler :

Dangerous Skies
For the last few weeks we've been working hard to establish our fort here underneath the cliffs of these foreign shores. Thanks to that unfortunate incident with the ship grounding we still have some of the extra supplies that were unloaded to lighten the ship so we likely won't have to worry about running out of tools. To make matters even better the reef on which the ship grounded is even more vibrant and full of life than we could ever have expected. This will allow for some excellent fishing and the Soldiers are already enjoying their first tastes of this continents seafood.
Another thing that the soldiers have been enjoying are the sights of giant bids soaring through the sky. Adric, always known for being the sharp one, investigated some of the cliffs above the fort and has located what he believes to be the nests of some of the birds. Some of the soldiers have also noted that large birds mean large eggs and large eggs mean large omelettes.

Castelo de Lenore

A First Contact
I was told about them by some of the villagers. They'd been out fishing when they came across a small boat crewed by pale skinned men in golden armour. They brought news of a settlement there built in the ruins of one of our own abandoned places. We should probably tell them why we abandoned it at some point...
Meanwhile though I decided to lead a group of my people, a bunch of warriors to see what these foreigners might have available for trade. We arrived at their settlement to see it truly did inhabit one of the old temples. The Leader of this band was setting up a station on the outskirts where he hoped to be able to encourage an exchange of goods. Looking over what he had to offer I was impressed by some of the tools and weapons these people have brought. The craftsmanship of their golden armour is incredible, it is beautiful and intricate while at the same time being durable and strong. I feel there may be much these people have to offer us.

Contact has been made and it seems that the locals may be interested in trading. They have gold and precious stones to offer but all we currently have to offer are our tools and weaponry.
Our scouts on both land and sea have confirmed the location of a native settlement, it is clearly quite rich and the amount of gold they have might suggest a nearby source. The scouting parties were not able to locate any mines in the thick jungle of the hills.

Spoiler :
Castelo de Lenore

Buildings:
Fort
Trading Post

Items:
120 Food
25 Tools
105 Wood
25 Armour
2 Dinghies

Issues:
Possible pirate base

Spoiler :

Not Quite a Virgin Shore
While the crew were taking some parting gifts for the queen from the recently discovered temple next to which we have constructed our fort de Arguelles was looking at other signs of habitation on these shores. Scraps here and there of a camp that had been well hidden and a conspicuous lack of treasure in some of the outer chambers of the temple. All this suggested to the wry Captain of this expedition something that he had been well prepared for - pirates.
The temple's presence on this island is a clear signifier that there may be more native structures further inland but if pirates have been here once then they might one day return. We should be vigilant.

Diego’s Landing

Fresh off the Queen's Ships the conquistadors of Diego Brando made landfall on the northern coast of New Savony and were immediately "beset upon" by an "army" of "hostile" natives. Drawing their swords with the fire of blood hunger in their hearts Brando's soldiers made quick work of the small force arrayed by the natives. After feasting and taking stock of their situation they found themselves on the jungle shores of New Savony with the unexpected joy of being already in the midst of the native territories. Surely the interior of this country will only hold more natives and the treasures they guard.

Spoiler :
Diego's Landing
Captain: Capitan Diego Brando
Blood: 10/10

Buildings:
Fort

Items:
100 Food
25 Tools
75 Wood
25 Armour
1 Dinghy

Issues:
In the heart of enemy territory

GM Notes:

If you notice a mistake, would like clarification on something, or otherwise have a comment for me then please feel free to post in the discord channel as I do check that regularly.

Unless explicitly stated I'm going to assume that any scouting party is not an expedition and will return by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Character Name: Rochambeau
Fort Name: Plaisir de la Reine
Fort Location:

About Me: Exquisite. Fashionable. Unrelentingly pretty. Ambiguously ungendered. Unstoppable with a rapier. Men and women of standing are desperately besotted by Rochambeau, but none dare make the first move in fears of causing a scandal. Looks darn fine in both a dress and dress robes, and no one has the courage to guess which one would be more appropriate. A true companion to Her Majesty the Queen, brought to the royal court as a child but found trouble at home; several men, in the garden, dead by Rochambeau's sword. Rochambeau, to spare Rochambeau's life, decided to take the Queen's commission to escape certain death...

And now Rochambeau will need to make Plaisir de la Reine fit for the Queen...or at the very least a Marquess...

Last edited:
Top Bottom