The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLIII

Nothing stopping you buying it now and just waiting. $8 is, what, two flashy coffees?

I "know" that in a nuclear bomb a small amount of matter is converted to energy in the proportions given by E=mc^2.

Is this true of any process that emits photons? As in, say there is a non-relativistic spaceship that emits a certain amount of energy as photons only then it has lost a certain amount of mass, whether it is powered by a coal powered steam engine, a fusion engine or an anti matter drive?

Yes. The binding energy for electrons in atoms is incredibly much smaller than the binding energy for nucleons, but it isn't zero. Giving away energy reduces the mass of the system. It isn't usually a useful way to talk about non-relativistic systems, though.

So what would be a useful way to talk about non-relativistic systems?

^Maybe some of the patterns used no longer worked with the part taken out and thus more intricate ones had to be formed?
Similar to how you can cover an an x by x size page with the simplest arrangement of a square tile, but not an x by <x.

I cropped an image and it went from 1.4 MB to 1.6 MB. What does that mean?
My guess would be that it is to do with the encoding. If the image was a more compressed jpeg and you save it as a png or less compressed jpeg you will be encoding noise generated in the initial compression.

that used to happen a lot when ı would be painting plane profiles in Paint on my desktop . Program possibly treating each pixel on its own . When you save it has to fit each pixel and ı know am not even starting to understand the process , let alone explaining it and all those white coloured pixels would get a hundred different grays , to look outwardly gray ... Doubling the size was possible at times and each save destroyed the picture even more . Converting it to .bmp was the safest way , would post it so if the forum software allowed it . Picture format to bmp , bmp to picture format . Can't tell how relevant it is in these days .

Has anyone in CFC done Wushu? I used to do Kung-fu, but at age of 36 my willingness to punch my sparring partners in face and guts has reached zero.

I would like to do recreational gymnastics instead.

Is it just me or did most of the images on this site including Avatars break?

It's not just you.

Untitled.png

I know there was a hiccup earlier with the forums.

You could try fencing. Though it can also lead to gruesome injuries :eek:
Plus you get an excuse to stab your friends in the face!

You could try fencing. Though it can also lead to gruesome injuries :eek:

Yeah, you could drop something on your foot or get tangled in the barbed wire... :think:

Oh, not that kind of fencing. The other kind can lead to gruesome injuries if you're not using proper safety equipment and aren't trained. Or if you're really, genuinely trying to kill your opponent.

Most people do wear the proper equipment and are trained, and their goal is a fair combat with as few injuries as possible.

We had a bit of fencing in the local SCA group. The guy who was into archery was also into fencing, but went long periods when there weren't any fencers in the group. Every time we got a new person, he'd try to persuade them to take it up. One young teenager did, until he realized what kind of costume went with his persona and decided there was No. Way. that he was going to appear in public in hose.

We tried to persuade him that costumes are something you just get used to, and after awhile you're not self-conscious at all. I've gone for a stroll in the main downtown shopping district in my medieval garb, since the ladies who ran one of the bookstores I frequented had said they'd like to see it. So when we were at a local art gallery doing a presentation for Shakespeare's birthday, I took a break and went over to the bookstore.

There were lots of stares, but you get used to that as well. Anyone politely asking why I was dressed that way would get an explanation.

Last edited:
Are the full-face covering helmets able to stop all hits by the sword? (even if one is actively trying to injure you there)
@Ajidica, can you answer this question?

(I don't fence, so I'm asking someone who does)

Top Bottom