These Hot New Materials

The practical application of transparent aluminum should be obvious. You need it for the whales you're going to transport up into the Klingon ship you stole, and take them back to the 23rd century so they can talk to the probe and tell it to stop destroying Earth.

The rest of that looks like a high-tech urban dystopian nightmare of the sort I've read about in science fiction books or seen in movies.

Man, five killer jokes in a row!

This place is on fi-ah.

Wish I had something funny to add.

I will observe that the last one listed, transparent acrylic, comes as a bit of an anticlimax, both as to coolness and to newness.

Last edited:
None of these things are new materials. Flexi displays are polyimide. Transparent acrylic is as old as Sherlock Holmes. Dupont paper is Tyvek. FRP stone is fiberglass.

This isn't showing of the practicality of new materials, but the stylized use of things we've had for sixty years.

what the practical applications of most of these materials are

Based on where they are being used in this video, light up displays. Think Time Square, the mall, rock concert effects, Broadway effects, the Las Vegas Sphere, theme park rides, etc.

In essence create more seductive displays & billboards to sell products or for live entertainment.

The rest of that looks like a high-tech urban dystopian nightmare of the sort I've read about in science fiction books or seen in movies.

See cyberpunk is only dystopian to those who have left leaning politics or are socially aware of mass consumerism creep as an indication of rising income inequality.

To men like Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk they see these stories, movies, and essentially think it's a beautiful capitalist utopia which they desire to recreate. Sort of like most boys wishing to recreate Jurassic Park in real life despite the premise of the movies/books being a warning to the contrary.

Boys will be boys... and capitalist cowboys will be cowboys.

See cyberpunk is only dystopian to those who have left leaning politics or are socially aware of mass consumerism creep as an indication of rising income inequality.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I grant you the second, but you can't make such a sweeping generalization about the political leanings of people who don't like cyberpunk.

I grant you the second, but you can't make such a sweeping generalization about the political leanings of people who don't like cyberpunk.

I never said they don't like it, in fact they love it. However they love the setting & the aesthetics but not the meaning of the work. So much so they wish to recreate it in real life.

Sort of like my aforementioned example of boys loving Jurassic Park for the cool dino park and disregarding the author's warning of not to do this for the simple fact that guys literally think they could build a better park IRL than John Hammond. Hence the negative warning is negated and instead the audience only enjoys the aesthetic/setting elements of the tale.

You're still generalizing. I'm left-wing politically. I don't love cyberpunk. I find it chaotic and repulsive and dystopian.

Top Bottom