Turning off stability

McMickeroo1

Chieftain
Hey guys,

So I'm playing a game as England and it's going absolutely fantastic. I'm pulling in 300+ gold per turn, I'm way ahead in terms of technology, and I'm pumping out settlers as fast as I can to try and settle as much of the British Empire as I can. I already control much of it already and it's only 1619. However... inevitably I know that I'm going to collapse. The only way to avoid a collapse would be to artificially constrain my expansion despite the fact that my game is going fantastically.

So basically I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the stability mechanic mid-game? Or alternatively is there a way to cheat the mechanic? I just don't think that the stability mechanic is adding anything to my enjoyment of the game and only ever seems to serve to result in instant death at random points whenever I feel like my game is going fantastic.

You can do this by going to Beyond the Sword/Mods, right-clicking the DoC folder and selecting "delete".

Hey guys,

So basically I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the stability mechanic mid-game? Or alternatively is there a way to cheat the mechanic? I just don't think that the stability mechanic is adding anything to my enjoyment of the game and only ever seems to serve to result in instant death at random points whenever I feel like my game is going fantastic.

If you have the time you can locally edit the files from this commit to get the option in WB but given that it was from two years ago I hesitate to say if it'll still work.

I miss that option (I once used it to edit a 3000 BC China game into a "The Years of Rice and Salt" scenario) but I get why Leo removed it from his sandbox.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/remove-stability.443500/

There's a solution here but it's very old and doesn't actually line up with the relevant coding I have which reads:

def getStabilityLevel(iPlayer):
return data.getStabilityLevel(iPlayer)
Just replace "data.getStabilityLevel(iPlayer)[/QUOTE]" with the highest stability level. I don't have the code in front of me, but that should work, though I can't remember if it's an integer or an enum.

Hey guys,

So I'm playing a game as England and it's going absolutely fantastic. I'm pulling in 300+ gold per turn, I'm way ahead in terms of technology, and I'm pumping out settlers as fast as I can to try and settle as much of the British Empire as I can. I already control much of it already and it's only 1619. However... inevitably I know that I'm going to collapse. The only way to avoid a collapse would be to artificially constrain my expansion despite the fact that my game is going fantastically.

The easiest solution imo is to WorldBuild yourself a bigger core area, allowing you more room to expand before getting hit by over extension penalties.

If the reason for your imminent collapse is over extension, you can go into world builder and turn all your colonies into your core area in the DOCmaps button

I usually dish cities when I get unstable of overexpansion, especially cities that are in other people's cores and non historical. with England it is easier to retain your own historical areas, there is so much... Once you hold India you on a luxury role anyway.

Well it's a good thing there are all these much better unofficial answers, then.

Thank you, everybody apart from Leoreth, for your help.

What I also do is go into Stability.py and delete all minuses, effectively turning penalties into bonuses.
There's also a cheat that allows you to get more stability with ctrl+shift+s, I believe, but I haven't used it in a while.

I have a little modmod for newbies

0 stability forewer. DoC 1.17. civs almost never collapse. works with older saves.
Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 14.03.2024 21_39_30.png
Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 14.03.2024 21_39_56.png

file Stability.py, folder ...Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets\Python
Снимок экрана 2024-03-14 213744.png
#all changes tagged by #тут line

Leoreth's code is masterpiece. my guess: 20+ years of professional programming experience.

cannot attach .py file sadly. maybe can share it in personal message.

or do it urself this way:

- find line
def isImmune(iPlayer):

- after
def isImmune(iPlayer):
pPlayer = player(iPlayer)

- type
return True

like here

1710450022871.png

I have a little modmod for newbies

0 stability forewer. DoC 1.17. civs almost never collapse. works with older saves.
View attachment 686556
View attachment 686555

file Stability.py, folder ...Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets\Python
View attachment 686557
#all changes tagged by #тут line

Leoreth's code is masterpiece. my guess: 20+ years of professional programming experience.
You'll get in trouble, if you'll be constant "Shaky"?

Per @Dracosolon I'm not convinced this would be helpful to new players. Maybe analogous to playing DnD without the d20? I could imagine measures like this a decade ago but the Stab system is more intuitive and more importantly transparent than ever, making it as simple as playing Regent with an easier civ for new players to get their feet wet. But if you're willing to endure walking interested kidz through implementing this thing I wish you Gosh Speed.

Stability is much less arcane than it used to be years ago. That's when I really hated it. Now that the tooltips are pretty clear I appreciate the challenge. People who play paradox games always complain it gets boring when you're too powerful and no one can challenge you. Stability works reasonably well enough to prevent that in DOC. If one really hates it that much its pretty simple to change core and historical areas. I like the fact that you cannot keep running the same civics forever, I'd like to keep meritocracy but at some point in industrial you must switch to Constitution, makes sense when you think about it, the people will be more antsy and envious when they aren't considered the meritocrats and would prefer a more impersonal set of rules.

Last edited:
Top Bottom