Two years later, I FINALLY touched this again... Help plz.

okie dokey captured Chichen Itza but then I dont know whether its a keeper or raze. It has three wonders, Pyramids, Leonardo's Workshop, and Michaelangelo's Chapel(?)... But that also means that its got VERY high culture and risk flipping each turn... what now?

I probably should upload a save... My progress hasnt been impressive though cause I spent quite a bit of time staying back and leader hunting... I guess its way less than what you would've been able to do... =/

>.< I had it flip once with 3 armies sitting on it... I reloaded, and moved those armies off cause I thought the city might still be useful. Mayans immediately retook it so I took it again and razed it =.=

I can't remember, but I think I kept it for Leo's. I do not care about Sistines as I do not build cath other than 1 or 2 in metro. I did not make any metro cities.

The way to hold it was to first raze the town near it and then take or at least raze the town next to it right after capture. Raze like crazy and pump out setters with rushes via disbands.

Then rush out workers. I think I was able to get it out of anarchy in a few turns with the massive lux we had.

If you want to do another way, then do not leave armies inside. Park them around the place so they cannot send in any reinforcements. If it flip capture it again and do the same.

Leader fishing should not cost you anything in terms of conquest. I had a number of elite cavs I kept in one town. I sent them out to finish off red lined units that had been blasted by arties.

I sent them back to that town to heal, until they made a leader. Then I put them in the army. When I made another elite form using vets, they came to the same town to wait their action.

That was between 4-11 elites most of the time. I never really use tanks for the job as I needed to put them into armies as fast as they came off the line.

Do not feel anything negative about your play compared to mine. I have as much experience at this game as anyone. Played Sid level for most of the time in the last two years other than SG and AW games.

Played on massive maps since back win PTW allowed 250x250 maps, so if you do not have that kind of experience, no reason to expect to do as well.

Oh well I got what I needed out of the Leos... Hoovers FINALLY done...

So even my map is nothing compared to those massive maps? I thought it was a tad big...

I am getting short on free (Unarmied) Cavs also... O.o Kinda weird... And I havent been using artillery in attacking cities since I cant move them at the same pace as Cavs...

I did not use arties on towns much either. A few times, I was able to run them in close enough via rails to hit the towns and a few bomber runs, but not that much.

A 362x362 is so much larger than a huge. Huge is 160x160, so you have a lot more tiles. In those games you can quickly get to the max of 512 towns.

Ugh... Ok flight done researching... Whats the difference between Veteran and non-veteran air units? Is it just a difference in when they fight against fighters in air fights? O.o

School starts again tomorrow... Maybe I wont have time to touch this again... Expect another topic about it in a year >.> Hopefully that wont happen T_T

Well the best as I can tell is vets tend to do better in bombing runs and have a better chance to not get shot down. I do not make airports, so I only have regulars, until they get a promotion.

I will make an airport, if that is the only way to get a connection to another landmass. This happens if the new town is surrounded by culture and cannot get a harbor to have access.

A bit later... a bit more playing... Got Flight and almost got Mass Production... Germany is starting to settle the land where I razed.. And they seem to be moving troops towards me, and I have both Maya and and Greece pinned down, so I declared to Germany too...

I seem to be able to get Hitties to attack them too, so... I am starting to like them >.>

Germany was backward and not much trouble. The Hittites are close and some areas are hard to get to due to jungles and other terrain issues. This makes them a concern.

If they jump on you and you are not prepared they could do some damage, before you get them in check. That is why I was happy to catch them with a big stack in my lands.

That let me cripple them right out of the gate. Not much of a problem with any after breaking the ankle or leg of Smoke. They just kept sending in units for me to leader fish upon.

I forget how many leaders I had, but it was probably around 40. Towards the end, I stop fishing. Ran out of cavs as I had put them all in armies.

I currently have like 3 armies in my Military Acadamy town... I either dont have enough cavs to put in them... Or I just dont feel like it as I have enough armies out in the field...

Got tanks... Started making tank armies... etc....

You're right, Cav armies might be better cause they can handle Infantries well enough and they proceed faster....

I swear, its getting ****ing ridiculous... One turn takes like 30 minutes to do... I am so tempted to Shift+A all my workers... Its probably ok to do so by this point...

Bombers are great pain in the butt in groups of more than 5 or 6. Why on earth would anyone make 100 of them in a game they already have dozens of cav armies that will not face anything they cannot kill?

Not to mention the fact that you would hardly be able to use them as you are pushing th front too fast and would be relocating them most of the time?

ARGH I am still going at this... I'll finish it soon... I think I'll sign some peace treaties soon and start filling in the land... I've taken out more than 3/4 of both Maya and Greece...

vxma, tell me something... On higher difficulties, is it true that you wouldnt research anything yourself at all? I heard that you would trade for all the techs... And have research always set to 0... I tried that this game and was told that I can still research myself...

I almost never play a true no research game, even on Sid. I will usually research Write and get to Lit to build the GLB on Sid or even Deity. Then it depends on the map.

If Continents, I will stop research while the GLB brings in techs. If Archipel I will have to research some tech to fight off landers, until I get contacts enough to get techs.

Once the GLB is obsolete, I will evaluate. I may need to research something that was optional to trade it or I may just do zero to pill up cash to steal.

If it is a variant game that requires me to declare war upon contact, then I cannot steal as I will not have an Embassy, so I have to research on my own. These are very tough games.

Though I've heard about researching something yourself in a beeline is still good in higher levels...

I was just under the impression that you'll NEVER be able to have a tech supremacy against the AI on anything higher than Prince, therefore you might as well not do any researching... :S

Prince level is a civ 2 term, but you can out research the AI on emperor level. Above that it depends on many things and is usually not the tactic use (out researching).

I can out researched the AI on Sid after I get large enough. Beeline is what I will do to get to Lit, mostly in Sid games, but some AW games as well. All it means is you do not research any techs that are not required to get to the one you are interested in having. It does not say anything concrete about the effort. IOW do you go at max research all the way or less than that at points?

hm... I guess AIs will never be able to manage cities as well as a human... But then, this isnt Civ 4, so knowing how to specialize cities doesnt help... Does it?

I lost an army to a fortified Infantry defending a city and decided not to reload T_T

Top Bottom