Unit Request Thread

Hey, guys,
can someone convert the explorer unit model in civ4 for civ5?
I know Deliverator has already made an explorer unit using musket as the weapon, but I would like to see it using swords.
Thanx!

I'd like to request the cogge unit from this civ 4 creation:

HTML:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11489

The cogge is now converted! See here.

As per Zwei833's suggestion, I've gone through the art assets of the Realism Invictus mod and picked out what Warriors and Scouts are otherwise missing, for my graphics component for CulDiv. They are all zipped here, as they were found - I dunno if there's just one model and they're all retextures, but I'll let you figure that out :p This is more for Zwei833, but if anyone wanted to help lighten his load, I'm sure it'd be appreciated. Thanks!

As per Zwei833's suggestion, I've gone through the art assets of the Realism Invictus mod and picked out what Warriors and Scouts are otherwise missing, for my graphics component for CulDiv. They are all zipped here, as they were found - I dunno if there's just one model and they're all retextures, but I'll let you figure that out :p This is more for Zwei833, but if anyone wanted to help lighten his load, I'm sure it'd be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, I will convert them, but can not finish all of them in a short time, and can't promise that all models are technically convertable.

Just done one of the easist to convert, the Indian scout.

If other modelers also want to help with the project, I would be grateful. But please head-up in this thread about which unit you will convert before you start the conversion, to avoid repetitions works.

Unfortunetly, the Egyption warrior is unconvertable, I can't import the NIF into blender, anyone have idea about this?

Using Nifskope you can export the mesh in OBJ format that can then be imported directly into Blender 2.7x (or the older Blender 2.49 if you are using that). This OBJ method is what I commonly use now for getting the mesh data out of NIFs. You only need to use the NIF import if you want the original skeleton or animations.

Ah, turns out Wolfdog has already converted the African Warrior. So I've removed that from the zip. Sorry! Should've checked. That's all that's been done AFAICT, though.

well, wolfdog also has made Warriors and Scouts for Middle Eastern and European, are you sure the Northern scout(which looks like the european scout Wolfdog made) and Islamic-Semitic warrior and scout are still needed?

Using Nifskope you can export the mesh in OBJ format that can then be imported directly into Blender 2.7x (or the older Blender 2.49 if you are using that). This OBJ method is what I commonly use now for getting the mesh data out of NIFs. You only need to use the NIF import if you want the original skeleton or animations.
Thanks, Deliverator! I will take a look of this method later.
EDIT: I try to export the body model from nif to obj, then import it to blender, it works, but all Vertex Groups are lost, it is very inconvenient...

And, @Deliverator, could you please take a look of the models in the attachments? I have no idea why their weapons doesn't show up in Nexus. (.blender, .br2, .gr2 and other files included).

Attachments

• egyption_scout_test.rar
    175.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Sahul_scout.rar
    166.2 KB · Views: 33
Islamic-Semitic warrior and scout are still needed?

Civitar made a collection of Hebrew units - would these be of use?

Thanks, Deliverator! I will take a look of this method later.
EDIT: I try to export the body model from nif to obj, then import it to blender, it works, but all Vertex Groups are lost, it is very inconvenient...

And, @Deliverator, could you please take a look of the models in the attachments? I have no idea why their weapons doesn't show up in Nexus. (.blender, .br2, .gr2 and other files included).

Verify that all texture files identified in the .gr2 are also defined in the .fxsxml file, or they won't show in Nexus.

OBJ file imports do lose vertex group information, but you can overcome this limitation by using the Object --> Bone Weight Copy script from the original model (per Ekmek's tutorial). Mesh objects and material information is also retained, which can also help to assign vertex groups properly to the new rig. As Deliverator mentioned, I agree that .obj data is usually the simplest method for rigs; .nif imports are really only necessary when creating custom units in CiV, where you need bones and animations.

Verify that all texture files identified in the .gr2 are also defined in the .fxsxml file, or they won't show in Nexus.

I added them in .fxsxml, but still not work...

OBJ file imports do lose vertex group information, but you can overcome this limitation by using the Object --> Bone Weight Copy script from the original model (per Ekmek's tutorial). Mesh objects and material information is also retained, which can also help to assign vertex groups properly to the new rig. As Deliverator mentioned, I agree that .obj data is usually the simplest method for rigs; .nif imports are really only necessary when creating custom units in CiV, where you need bones and animations.

That's right. Also if you make the switch to using Blender 2.7x you can use the Transfer Weight feature to copy the vertex groups from the Civ IV mesh to the Civ V one as described in Step 5 of Wolfdog's tutorial.

If you open your .gr2 files in GrannyViewer and switch to the Mesh List tab you can see that your weapon meshes only have 1 bone. For the .gr2 to render correctly in game each mesh in this list needs to be rigged to a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 32 bones.

The simplest, quickest workaround for this restriction when working with weapons and other single bone meshes is to do the following:

1) Duplicate one triangle from the weapon (using D key in Edit Mode), make it small and move it so that it is completely hidden with one of the hands. (It could be anywhere else within the mesh but hands work well as they are likely to be completely rigged to just one bone.)
2) Assign the duplicated tiny triangle to the relevant hands' Vertex Group.

Now when you export to .br2 and do the overwrite to create your .gr2 file the weapon mesh should have two bone bindings rather than one and the model should display correctly.

I have done this fix for the two models you were having problems with. See attachment including .blend, .br2 and .gr2 for both.

Does anyone have a maceman? Civ 4 had one if I remember correctly. It should be converted. We need a mace four our Game of Thrones Bastard's Boys UU for House Bolton.

Would anyone here like to make a Canoe unit wherein there is actually visible /people sitting in the vessel? I can imagine a number of civs that are already out and some upcoming ones that would make great use of this!

Top Bottom