Unofficial Civ4 GameSpy Multiplayer Firewall/Router Port Forwarding Guide

blacktime said:
I'm having the exact same problem that Chunky has! I've already tried to creat a new account but the same happens (nothing)! About using a name that is already taken, i dont think that may be possible because i've cheked my status directly at gamespy page and my profile is OK!

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

I would like to say that i've fixed my problem, i would like to thanks to everyone because of all the tips givem here!

To solve my problem i didnt do anything special, i've done the following steps:
1 - Uninstall CIV4 and Xfire and all programs related with civ4
2 - I've cleanned all ports exceptions for the firewall
3 - I've turned Norton "ON" in all services and after that i've reduced the security level for the minimum. but DID NOT turned it off!
4 - I've installed Civ4
5 - After installed patch 1.52 and i didnt install "Xfire"
6 - After i run Civ4 and tried to start a Muitlplayer game and automatically started to update the patch 1.61 (inside the game)
7 - After this OK

I hope that this my discription helps any1!
Thx

Okay, I'm hosting two Pitboss games, and this morning when I tried to log into them to play my turns I get a message of "Unable to Negotiate Host's Firewall." naturally, the firewall is configured to let Civ IV play, I've opened 2056 and 2057 for these game... and for the last month I've never had a problem trying to connect to my own computer.

I do not know if this is affecting the other players, as no one has alerted me and I do not know when this problem began.

Any ideas as to why my own firewall is suddenly preventing me from connecting to my own computer?

I make it quick, here's the list of the ports (both TCP and UDP) that you need to open/forward on your Router and Firewall:

* 6667 (IRC)
* 2033 (Civ4)
* 2056 (Civ4)
* 47624 (Directplay)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
* 28900 (Master Server List Request)
* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
* 29901 (GP Search Manager)
* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
* 6500 (Query Port)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)
* 2300-2400 (DirectPlay - UDP)

Ok, I just wanted to know if all the ports that don't specify "UDP" are concidered TCP. I would love an answer so i'm sure.

enchanter100 said:
I was hosting a game with three players. Each of them could connect to me individually, but once one of the connected, the other wouldn't be able to. They both would get the contacting peer problem. Whoever connected last. SOOOO, when one of them fixed the problem, they still couldn't connect in the same manner. This proves to me that even if you are "fixed" and open and working correctly, you can still get that error.. It can also be your fault if other people can't join even if you are in the game. In short, everyone has to be setup properly for anyone but the host to join.. AND it still could be you if you get the contacting peer message.. In my opinion. because if you are the first person to join just the host, it'll work and screw everyone else.

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!!
Yet last week it worked fine and no changes ahve been made.
I dont see where to open ports in my router settings!
Why does it no longer work?

To be more specific... I can have everyone play lan no problem, direct ip.
But direct ip with 2 lan and 1 from wan the last guy in gets screwed with the peer to peer crap.

Is there a way I can open ports 2300-2400 without acessing my router using a browser (I don't want to find the PW)?

I've got a new problem, one that I don't have high hopes of overcoming.

I just moved to college last week, and trying to connect to gamespy through warlords has gotten me nothing.

I'm guessing at the very least that they're blocking port 6667 (actually I'm sure of it, I've tested it with mIRC), but I have no idea about the other ports.

Are there any workarounds? Can I change which ports are used, and if so what should I try?

If you are using McAfee Virus Enterprise 8.0 then this post may be of help.

It only really applies if you get the message 'unable to contact the matchmaking server' in the network log file or if you receive the on screen message 'The connection to the server browser has failed'.

EDIT: This post is for general information rather than a reply to jasdoyle's problem.

hi, i have weird problem. i'm on router but all ports are open so people can easily join me in standart game (patch 1.61). but if i host game in any of mods ( including the default ones such as AmericanRevolution, for example ) some people don't see me and can't join but other can! Those others who CAN'T join are not on router and easely join me if I host game in 1.61! why it happens?

I had the same problem as many of you with getting to the Gamespy login screen (or the create account screen), entering my information, and then nothing...

I messed around with this for a week, using suggestions from many different forums. I'll tell you what I tried that didn't work and then what finally did - maybe it'll save you some time and frustration.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Civ, Gamespy, and xFire (only allows chat in civ 4, btw). This did not work.:(

I tried port forwarding the ports listed in this forum and GameSpy Arcade Support for both my router and the built-in windows firewall. I ensured Gamespy and Civ were both in the program exceptions list in the windows firewall. This did not work.:cringe:

I tried creating a new account through Civ, using the same email address, username and password as my existing Gamespy account. This did not work.:gripe:

I tried creating a new account through Civ, using the same email address, but a new, completely random username and password. This did not work.:wallbash:

I finally tried creating a new account through Civ, using a brand new email address (one Gamespy had never seen before), and a new, completely random username and password. Eureka! This worked.:)

I believe there is a problem with Gamespy (and/or Civ) recognizing existing accounts that aren't created through Civ! I think as long as the email and username are new and unique it should work.

I have since removed all port forwarding from both my router and firewall, and am able to play through Gamespy no problem at all. Ironically, after all this effort, I'm disgusted and no longer feel like playing Civ... but I'm sure it'll pass.

Hope this helps,
Ramble75

Thanks Ramble!

That worked indeed for me. Faced the same problem, getting frozen screens while trying to log in to the Gamespy lobby in Civ 4.
Used existing accounts, no luck, then created one using a new email address and new username and BINGO! :)

if each of the three used a diffferent port (say, one used 2056, one used 2057 and one used 2058), and the router was set to forward each port to the appropriate computer, then that would work fine.

one of the things to watch out for when you do this, is that if the internal ip address of any of the computers changes for any reason, the forwarding rule in the router will need to be updated to point to the new address. this can happen sometimes when using dhcp (it happened with our pitboss server once).

-ken

NatanielX said:
You can setup another Civ4 communication port in
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My documents\My Games\Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini

Just look for 2056 and change it to 2057 on one computer and 2058 on another, then setup forwadring rules on router.
I just wanted to say thank you to both of you on this. I had immense troubles connecting my wife and I's computers to our friends (where we have the same hub), and it took this workaround to get it fixed. Thanks!

ehhh...my computer still can't work...before I opened any ports, I was able to join games, although once I got into a game it apparently would then lag me out of the game...but once I did open my ports, etc. I couldn't even JOIN a game.

I play on a laptop, connect to my router wirelessly, but the fact that I used to be able to get into games(and play a couple of turns) tells me that being wifi shouldn't have anything to do with it...anyone have any ideas as to why my computer just can't seem to connect and stay connected?

I'm having the exact same problem. But check this out...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>netstat

Active Connections

TCP adamjb6-D420:1116 207.38.11.34:29900 TIME_WAIT

It seems endlessly hung on port 29900.

Note: I'm going through a Sonicwall TZ 170 SP router. I hate this thing, it's like $1,000 and a PITA.

When I *don't* go through the router, I have the exact same problem. Can't communicate on 6667 or 29900. Therefore, I can't connect to lobby. This problem ONLY happens when I am connecting through Ethernet.

I manually added all ports to the Firewall exception list, yet ALL of these ports show as CLOSED when I run tests on them. WTF Windows XP blows.

All I've gathered from this is that if you are router/firewall ******ed...you're screwed. Thanks for making multiplayer user-friendly, Firaxis.

/sarcasmoff

Seriously, it shouldn't be this freaking difficult to connect online and play without ANY peer problems etc. Get rid of Gamespy. It's awful. I shouldn't have to open that many ports to play a simple game online. The more ports I open...the more holes my firewall has in it. Which, in turn, gives outsiders easier access to my computer. DUMB.

Problem: As you want to log in to the multiplayer lobby the screen freezes some seconds and nothing happens. There is not even an error message (depending of your patch)

Solution: First, you might consider to reinstall your game. Before doing so, make sure it is properly uninstalled. I reccommend you delete all references to Civ4 in the Windows-Firewall (System menu/Firewall/Exceptions). As you reinstall the game will create new ones.

Second, open the ports 2056 (cf. Civilization4.ini) and 6667 (IRC). In my case this was enough.

Third, after you reinstalled, do not care about patches. Go directly to Multiplayer and create a new account. Apparently there is no error message like "Your name is already in use". Even if you have an active account on gamespyid, it often doen't work if it hasn't been created in game. Be creative. Try to find a name, no one else could come up with. Use numbers.

This is what helped after dozens of ports-forwarded, games reinstaled, forums read, accounts created etc.

Which port allows me to host? Also kinda upload speed is recommended?

2056. And broadband of some sort, 384kbps or better I'd think.

Top Bottom