Utah GOP governor is Obama's pick as China envoy

yesboii

Ishin
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama reached across the political divide Saturday and named Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, a possible GOP White House contender and top John McCain supporter, to the sensitive diplomatic post of U.S. ambassador to China.

With the selection, Obama may have sidelined a potentially formidable moderate Republican from the 2012 presidential field. For Huntsman, it's a chance to burnish his credentials and position himself as a viable hopeful — perhaps for 2016 if Obama is seen as a strong candidate for a second term in 2012.

Fluent in Mandarin Chinese from his days as a Mormon missionary in Taiwan, the 49-year-old Huntsman is a popular two-term governor who served in both Bush administrations and was national co-chairman of Arizona Sen. McCain's campaign against Obama last year. Huntsman has made a name for himself advocating a moderate agenda in one of the nation's most conservative states.

With Huntsman at his side, Obama said in brief remarks in the White House Diplomatic Reception Room that he made the appointment "mindful of its extraordinary significance. Given the breadth of issues at stake in our relationship with China, this ambassadorship is as important as any in the world because the United States will best be able to deal effectively with global challenges in the 21st century by working in concert with China."

Huntsman recently made headlines for encouraging his party to swing in a more moderate direction if it wants to bounce back from the 2008 elections, angering some conservatives.

"I knew that because Jon is not only a Republican, but a Republican who co-chaired my opponent's campaign for the presidency this wouldn't be the easiest decision to explain to some members of his party," Obama said. "But here is what I also know: I know Jon is the kind of leader who always puts country ahead of party."

Huntsman said he never expected "to be called into action by the person who beat us. But I grew up understanding that the most basic responsibility one has is service to country. When the president of the United States asks you to step up and serve in a capacity like this, that to me is the end of the conversation and the beginning of the obligation to rise to the challenge. I stand here in my final term as governor with plenty to do. I wasn't looking for a new job in life, but a call from the president changed that."

Huntsman ended his remarks with his favorite Chinese saying, speaking in Mandarin: "Together we work, together we progress."

Obama's 2008 campaign manager, David Plouffe, said Huntsman is a Republican who "seems to understand the party has to adjust — not stubbornly believe that everything is OK and it is the country that has to change."

Huntsman's positions on the environment and other issues have led some to consider him a potential contender for president in 2012. He signed an initiative that would set a regional cap-and-trade effort to reduce global warming. In a 2006 speech at Shanghai Normal University, Huntsman spoke of the need for China and the U.S. to work together on environmental issues.

He has drawn the most attention for stating he favors civil unions for gay couples even though he backed a state constitutional amendment passed in 2004 that prohibited same-sex marriage.

Huntsman's comments on civil unions drew the ire of conservatives in Utah and elsewhere. Officials in Michigan last month canceled a GOP county fundraiser where Huntsman was to speak, saying he had abandoned important party principles.

Huntsman's career began as a staff assistant in the Reagan administration. He also was ambassador to Singapore under President George H.W. Bush and deputy U.S. trade representative and U.S. trade ambassador under President George W. Bush.

Before becoming governor in 2005, Huntsman made millions as chairman and chief executive of his family business, Huntsman Corp., a global chemical manufacturer with more than 12,000 employees worldwide. Revenues last year exceeded $10 billion.

Huntsman and his wife, Mary Kaye, have seven children, including adopted daughters from China and India. He dropped out of high school to play in a rock band, and spends his spare time playing in a band and mountain biking. He also rides a motorcycle and is a fan of motocross.

If confirmed by the Senate, Huntsman will succeed Clark Randt.

Utah Lt. Gov. Gary Herbert would become governor until a special election in 2010.

Interesting...

Shoulda picked a Minuteman III as the envoy.

:nuke::nuke::nuke:

I'm not the biggest fan of Huntsman, so I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I need some time to think :scan:

Sounds like a good pick (fluency in the necessary language is always a plus) at the surface. Awaiting more information.

Shoulda picked a Minuteman III as the envoy.

:nuke::nuke::nuke:

Speak softly and carry a pizza delivery box!
(painted on the door of a missle crew bunker at the Minuteman II complex tour outside of Rapid City, SD)

An ex-missionary with 7 kids is going to represent our interests with China. And he dropped out of high school to play in a rock band. Hmmm....

Take away possibly the sole moderate voice in the country's strongest right-wing bastion AND shore up the credentials of a potential GOP opponent in 2012. What are you thinking, Obama?!?

Take away possibly the sole moderate voice in the country's strongest right-wing bastion AND shore up the credentials of a potential GOP opponent in 2012. What are you thinking, Obama?!?

The point is that this removes an opponent in 2012. Think about it: The governor is going to look ******ed if he bites the hand that fed by announcing a candidacy in 2012. And he'll be way to busy anyways, considering the nation he'll be envoy..ing to.

Is 'envoying' a word? No right? Then what word do I want to use there? :confused:

Bloody brilliant.

Before becoming governor in 2005, Huntsman made millions as chairman and chief executive of his family business, Huntsman Corp., a global chemical manufacturer with more than 12,000 employees worldwide. Revenues last year exceeded $10 billion.

I guess so.

Probably the cultural and linquistic assimilation, plus political & business experience, and being pro-curbing global warming emissions were the clinchers.

hmm...

1) how many politicians speak Mandarin?
2) how many politicians understand Chinese Culture?
3) how many politicians are businessmen AND want to curb global warming???

I doubt many qualify for them

It probably isn't a very good idea for Obama to be reaching across the aisle for what is probably the most important embassadorial posting in the world, but at least the guy is, out all the Republicans out there, probably the most qualified to do it.

I think that the others pale in comparison (and Obama did promise to be bipartisan right?)

whats that got to do with anything?

A lot? An ambassador first and foremost is supposed to be a representative of the American people. The only thing he seems to represent is reilgious zealotry and an extreme dislike for personal population control, which I would suggest is the last thing you want in this particular position.

how many politicians speak Mandarin?

How many Chinese ambassadors prior to him spoke Mandarin? He's not applying for a job as a translator. While being able to speak the language is a definite plus, I'd hardly consider it to be a qualification since he may very well be the first one.

2) how many politicians understand Chinese Culture?

How many people who lived in Taiwan are going to understand PRC culture as a result? I would think that answer is going to be close to zero. And once again, it can hardly be considered to be a requirement for the position.

3) how many politicians are businessmen AND want to curb global warming???

You mean like GWB claimed to be on both counts?

I doubt many qualify for them

Au contraire. I think there are literally thousands of people who would likely be much more qualified, and who don't pose a direct political threat to the Democrats in the future. This is one of the worst political appointments I have ever seen.

Forma, Chinese culture and Taiwanese culture are pretty similar.

How so? I would think there are far more differences than there are similiarities. They may have the same ancestors, language, and desire to live on the mainland, but that would be about it.

An ambassador is largely a figurehead position. You don't make policy. You typically don't even have all that much to do other than to attend functions, but this position is a bit more critical than most. I would have expected it to go to one of the Democrat Party's most respected diplomats.

A lot? An ambassador first and foremost is supposed to be a representative of the American people. The only thing he seems to represent is reilgious zealotry and an extreme dislike for personal population control, which I would suggest is the last thing you want in this particular position.

He represents moderation, the ability to transcend political boundaries, and I highly doubt that anyone whom the President believes would be a good choice for this particular position would be foolish enough to mention abortion when speaking to the Chinese government.

How many Chinese ambassadors prior to him spoke Mandarin? He's not applying for a job as a translator. While being able to speak the language is a definite plus, I'd hardly consider it to be a qualification since he may very well be the first one.

How the hell is fluency in the given language not a qualification?! It attunes one culturally closer to the nation in question. I sure as hell want my ambassadors speaking the language of the host nation, because the fact that one can speak another language helps ones diplomacy and standing in the host nation.

How many people who lived in Taiwan are going to understand PRC culture as a result? I would think that answer is going to be close to zero. And once again, it can hardly be considered to be a requirement for the position.

Formie, I know Chinese people. I know Taiwanese people. And lemme tell you something: both acknowledge that their culture is very, very similar. The only difference is politics.

Au contraire. I think there are literally thousands of people who would likely be much more qualified, and who don't pose a direct political threat to the Democrats in the future. This is one of the worst political appointments I have ever seen.

He doesn't, that's the point. President Obama appointed him because it would remove him as a threat in 2012. And considering if Obama does a good job restoring honor to the Democratic Party, whoever he handpicks will be virtually guaranteed to win the election, even if this guy runs in 2016.

He represented the American people well enough to be elected governor...

Also, missionaries have a rich history in China. I don't think he projects himself badly at all, and he is obviously has no aversion to things you would except from a "zealot".

In addition, you really think China cares how many kids he has? Why does this play in at all? Is that the same line of thinking that you don't appoint a woman Secretary of State because it might offend Muslims?

I think it's a sign of mutual respect. I'm not sure on this, but has China ever appointed a diplomat to the US who could not speak English? There is a new relationship and power dynamic between these two countries, things have to change in accordance with that.

Once again, it's a new era in PRC-US relations. It's getting to the point where you want someone who understands the language, culture, and history much like our ambassadors to the Soviet Union did.

You mean like GWB claimed to be on both counts?

I kinda get your point "He could be lying", but what does he have to gain by lying? He is basically guaranteed to win just by having the R next to his name in Utah. If anything, taking the side he did on those issues makes for an unnecessary political risk.

Top Bottom