Vichy France

Mr_M0ntana

Chieftain
I capture Paris, Metz and Calais, which creates Vichy France, but they have no army or navy, which is historically incorrect as they had a 100,000 strong army on their mainland and the North African colonies, I also think they had a small navy but not sure.

Vichey France fought in 1 battle, against the Americans led by Patton, at Casablanca. They got housed within 2 days. Well, more like they made like the French and surrendered.

Their naval support (1 ship) fired on the American landing forces, but a few minutes after the American ships fired back, the crew abandoned ship, even though they were IN PORT.

Damn the French are pathetic.

Vichey France fought in 1 battle, against the Americans led by Patton, at Casablanca. They got housed within 2 days. Well, more like they made like the French and surrendered.

Their naval support (1 ship) fired on the American landing forces, but a few minutes after the American ships fired back, the crew abandoned ship, even though they were IN PORT.

Damn the French are pathetic.
They weren't pathetic!!!! Most of their navy was stolen by the British when they allied with Germany and Hitler restricted Frances army and navy, just as France did in WWI!! Get all the facts!!!

France was good in two wars from the last millennium, so far.

WWI(With the help of Allies), and the Hundred Year War, which ended up causing England to collapse(Greatest French Victory, I am guessing. Also one of the most easily reenacted wars in Civ4(with RFC).

I meant in wars in general.

Yeah, D-Day wouldn't have been so awesome if we lost. :p

France was good in two wars from the last millennium, so far.

WWI(With the help of Allies), and the Hundred Year War, which ended up causing England to collapse(Greatest French Victory, I am guessing. Also one of the most easily reenacted wars in Civ4(with RFC).

Ooh, I don't know about that. France had much to be proud of before 1814. After that, not so much...that's what happens when 500,000 of your best men die in one year, leaving the rest to breed, giving you (drumroll) Vichey France.

Starting with William the Conqueror, a Frenchmen who conqueror England by pwning the British forces at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 (just barely made your “millennium” criteria).

France played a major roll in the Crusades. Most of the Templars were French, as are almost all of their Grand Masters. In fact, the general term for a European Christian in the Holy Land was "Franks." Then again, the Templars were taken down by the French king Phillip II, a greedy coward who brought false charges against the Templars because they rejected him for those same reasons.

France did NOT do well in the hundred year war...they actually got their a$$ kicked by the outnumbered and poorly equipped English peasant army. Remember Calais and Agincourt?

To give credit where it’s due, France was as responsible for the success of the American Revolution as the Americans. If you look at the actual battles fought, we (Americans) got our a$$es handed to us up and down the coast. We only managed to pull it off with the help of French soldiers, ships, weapons, and money (and France only helped us as a giant F-U to the English).

And then there’s the French revolution, and the guy who almost conquered all of Europe. I’m a big fan of Napoleon, and he was a great leader, though not as brilliant as his reputation boasts. He broke the one cardinal rule of European Warfare: never invade Russia from the West. But before that, he did manage to vassalize Italy, Austria/Hungry, Prussia, and Poland, and the other little states in between.

I’m a big fan of Napoleon, and he was a great leader, though not as brilliant as his reputation boasts. He broke the one cardinal rule of European Warfare: never invade Russia from the West.

I thought it was "Never invade Russia in the WINTER." It was said you could tell where Napoleon's army had been by the bloody tracks left in the snow as a result of their inadequate footwear. Moscow's not the greatest place to spend the winter really, especially when you are miles from your supply train.

Ooh, I don't know about that. France had much to be proud of before 1814. After that, not so much...that's what happens when 500,000 of your best men die in one year, leaving the rest to breed, giving you (drumroll) Vichey France.

Starting with William the Conqueror, a Frenchmen who conqueror England by pwning the British forces at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 (just barely made your “millennium” criteria).

France played a major roll in the Crusades. Most of the Templars were French, as are almost all of their Grand Masters. In fact, the general term for a European Christian in the Holy Land was "Franks." Then again, the Templars were taken down by the French king Phillip II, a greedy coward who brought false charges against the Templars because they rejected him for those same reasons.

France did NOT do well in the hundred year war...they actually got their a$$ kicked by the outnumbered and poorly equipped English peasant army. Remember Calais and Agincourt?

To give credit where it’s due, France was as responsible for the success of the American Revolution as the Americans. If you look at the actual battles fought, we (Americans) got our a$$es handed to us up and down the coast. We only managed to pull it off with the help of French soldiers, ships, weapons, and money (and France only helped us as a giant F-U to the English).

And then there’s the French revolution, and the guy who almost conquered all of Europe. I’m a big fan of Napoleon, and he was a great leader, though not as brilliant as his reputation boasts. He broke the one cardinal rule of European Warfare: never invade Russia from the West. But before that, he did manage to vassalize Italy, Austria/Hungry, Prussia, and Poland, and the other little states in between.

William the Conqueror can hardly be called a Frenchman though. In 911 Phillip the Simple ceded Normandy to a Viking called Rollo to prevent future conflict. Fearing the Norsemen (Normans) most of the locals fled to Paris and it's environs. During the following years Danish and Norwegian (and to a lesser extent Swedish) immigrants came and settled Normandy. The French King continued to consider Normandy as being part of his Royal Domain so William the Conqueror invaded England and moved his capital to London to cement their independence.

I thought it was "Never invade Russia in the WINTER." It was said you could tell where Napoleon's army had been by the bloody tracks left in the snow as a result of their inadequate footwear. Moscow's not the greatest place to spend the winter really, especially when you are miles from your supply train.

Ultimately, you don't want to be in Russia in the Winter, which is partly why you don't invade from the West, because you'll end up IN the winter. If you invade from the East, assuming you succeed in making it through, you'll end up in a more hospitable environment (if you can call Prussia/Poland that). If you invade from the West, at the end of the campaign, you'll find yourself in the Steppes in the dead of winter. It's a long walk home.

William the Conqueror can hardly be called a Frenchman though. In 911 Phillip the Simple ceded Normandy to a Viking called Rollo to prevent future conflict. Fearing the Norsemen (Normans) most of the locals fled to Paris and it's environs. During the following years Danish and Norwegian (and to a lesser extent Swedish) immigrants came and settled Normandy. The French King continued to consider Normandy as being part of his Royal Domain so William the Conqueror invaded England and moved his capital to London to cement their independence.

Granted the Normans weren't genetically French, but then who is? The Gauls? And the Duchy of Normandy was a vassal of the King of France, so it's closer to France than England (yeah, I know the same could be said of the Hapsburgs, and Austria is nowhere close to Spain, but then it gets really complicated).

Granted the Normans weren't genetically French, but then who is? The Gauls? And the Duchy of Normandy was a vassal of the King of France, so it's closer to France than England (yeah, I know the same could be said of the Hapsburgs, and Austria is nowhere close to Spain, but then it gets really complicated).

The King of France had about as much control over Normandy as the Holy Roman Emperor did over any of his territories. He claimed Normandy as part of the Kingdom of France simply for an ego trip (a standard many French leaders would follow).

The King of France had about as much control over Normandy as the Holy Roman Emperor did over any of his territories. He claimed Normandy as part of the Kingdom of France simply for an ego trip (a standard many French leaders would follow).

Lol. I like the ego trip comment.

As far as influence on soverign states, it goes beyond history into political science. China claims Taiwan as a province, though it has absolutely no power over the latter in any way or form, yet the UN does not recognize Taiwan. On the other hand, Canada is by all right a separate nation, but we (USA) treat them as a 51st state. And then there's Tony Blair, who jumps into Bush's lap wagging his tail whenever Dubya whistled.

Lol. I like the ego trip comment.

As far as influence on soverign states, it goes beyond history into political science. China claims Taiwan as a province, though it has absolutely no power over the latter in any way or form, yet the UN does not recognize Taiwan. On the other hand, Canada is by all right a separate nation, but we (USA) treat them as a 51st state. And then there's Tony Blair, who jumps into Bush's lap wagging his tail whenever Dubya whistled.

However Tony Blair's now been replaced by Gordon Brown (dumb and dumber).

Bear in mind that although the King of France claimed Normandy, he did realised it's complete independence. Plans were actually drawn up to invade Normandy and bring it into the Royal Domain (the one thing the King of France truly controlled) but he alone did not have a large enough army and the Robber Barons weren't stupid enough to help him.

Top Bottom