War At Sea In The Ironclad Age, 1850-1889

Very nice ships, Delta.

The paddleboat reminds me of the one the Union army in Chattanooga built in late 1863 to bring supplies up the Tennessee River to Chattanooga.

... Ya know, you're starting to give an Humble Archivist hives :D

Oz, was that addressed to Delta Strife or me? The Ironclad Gunboat reminds me of a couple of Edward Reed's early ironclad designs. I will have to figure out where I put my copy of Ballard's The Black Battle Fleet, covering the early British ironclads and see about scanning some drawing in for Delta.

Edit Note: Here are a couple of samples, the first is the Brazilian Ironclad Brazil, while the second is an image of the HMS Pallas, a small ironclad of the British Navy. Both come from Edward Very's Navies of the World, published in 1880. Very was one of the US Navy's armor and ordnance experts of he period, and was also the inventor of the Very Pistol, which did make him a not so small fortune.

Attachments

• Brazilian Ironclad Brazil.png
    Brazilian Ironclad Brazil.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 247
  • RN Pallas Ironclad.png
    RN Pallas Ironclad.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 248
Update: Salamandra Class Gunboat for Spain. Also if anyone has Buques de Vapor de la Armada Española I need some info out of it and would love for someone to look something up :). Preview Below:

Spoiler :

Nice one Delta.
It brought forward an idea I had for some time.

FIRESHIPS !!
I can't find anything like it in all my DLs, and it was a kind of suicide ship used for hundreds of years in this era of sailships.
Not sure it will work in game, but it could be this ship actually "blowing" up in a fire storm, killing itself and damage (even sink) the enemy ship.
Kind of Kamikaze on the sea.

Could this Spanish ship (or another creations perhaps) be transformed with a death flc similar to a burning ship, then sink ???

I guess you all know what I am driving at. A sea-version of the already made mustard-bombs in AOI, these ones sailing out from the besieged city and sinking the enemy ships. :devil:

Greetings Delta. The typical fireship was a moderate sized warship or merchantman. The Dutch Fluyt, the Golden Hind, or the Firaxis Privateer would be good starting points. A Ship-of-the-Line or a Frigate would be a bit too large.

Copyright protects the right to attribution of any work. Most of the warship 3d models in the topic belongs to us (Totem Games). Anyone can find our Ironclads series game. The first game was released 8 years ago. We would like to make our authorship was recognized. Thank you!

With best regards,
Maxim
Totem Team

Can you perhaps make the König Wilhelm armoured frigate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_König_Wilhelm

Adler

The SMS Konig Wilhelm shares with the HMS Iron Duke and the HMS Camperdown the distinction of sinking by ramming one of its ironclad consorts. I would recommend that forum readers look up the accounts of the loss of HMS Victoria following the ramming by HMS Camperdown. Hint, this is one of those cases where the truth is far, far stranger than any possible fantasy.

Top Bottom