• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] War in Gaza: News Thread

It's difficult to assess the exact degree of Israeli dependence on US munitions because they obviously don't want to broadcast the numbers publicly. But my guess is that at the very least without US supplies Israel would have had to run a much lower-intensity campaign.
I don't completely dismiss this as a possibility, however I am skeptical, based on an expectation that the weapons that the US had already supplied to Israel before Biden even came into office were more than sufficient to support the current intensity of the invasion of Gaza, coupled with the fact that, as I've observed earlier, Netanyahu's desperation to remain in power would have put him in a "use everything we have and hope the US comes through and replenishes us later" mindset, as opposed to a "let's be cautious and measured in our response since we haven't gotten a US shipment in a while" mindset. Netanyahu would have had nothing to lose in pursuing the same strategy... worst case scenario would be they run out of bombs and are forced into a defensive/occupation position, which they could then blame on the US/Biden, for political leverage.

The other point I am raising, is that I expect that if Biden's campaign calculates that this new stance of pressuring Israel more actively does not result in some political dividends... ie improved polling and social media chatter etc., indicating attitudes changing on the part of folks who have been criticizing Biden on the Gaza issue... his advisors are going to quickly tell him to abandon the Pro-Palestinian voters as un-winnable, and go back to focusing on the pro-Israeli ones, who he at least has a chance with.

What do you think happened in Palestine in 1948 exactly?
First up, I am fully aware of the view that the foundation of Israel is denying some Palestinian identity that's been around for centuries longer; I'm just not particularly sympathetic to it. I see it as little more than a land dispute in the wake of Ottoman retreat and the British going "eh, I don't know...*shrug*". Those people from '48 aren't really around anymore for me to hear their complaints. What happened then happened; Israel is not an unanswered question, but with that said, it ought to accept the people within its borders as equal citizens. And I don't really care to address the Palestinian perspective as a case in ''correcting'' some ''historical wrong'' from their grandparent's time. [there's already a guy in Russia with that mindset doing that, but I digress]

This was a bit off the news track, and from another topic, and I'd rather not continue it for much longer...

First up, I am fully aware of the view that the foundation of Israel is denying some Palestinian identity that's been around for centuries longer; I'm just not particularly sympathetic to it. I see it as little more than a land dispute in the wake of Ottoman retreat and the British going "eh, I don't know...*shrug*". Those people from '48 aren't really around anymore for me to hear their complaints. What happened then happened; Israel is not an unanswered question, but with that said, it ought to accept the people within its borders as equal citizens. And I don't really care to address the Palestinian perspective as a case in ''correcting'' some ''historical wrong'' from their grandparent's time. [there's already a guy in Russia with that mindset doing that, but I digress]
Nice comparison to Russia. I mean Israel through Zionism is trying to correct what they see as a historical wrong however many centuries ago, but I guess that's all fine and not wrong putting in air quotes :D

(for the record, I'm British, but my grandad was alive in both 1948 and still is now, but I figure trying to interrogate your assumptions there won't really go anywhere)

This was from the politics thread.
Anyway.
Now if someone said "Israel treats Palestinians like trash" and so on, I don't have a problem with that opinion on the surface level. One can have that argument.
It's when one gets into the more legalese stuff like assertions of genocide and other Holocaust similes (e.g. actual crimes which require a prosecutorial response), without the extraordinary evidence to match it beyond "I don't like this thing", that I tend to think those folks are merely adopting the lines of Israel's enemies (Hamas, Iran) as fact. I guess because they think or hope Hamas will win (in the political sphere at least) and thus want to be on that side to toot their own horns or something.
Your guess is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

You're just doing the same thing as before but with more words: "Because Hamas/Iran says X, therefore if you say X you are Hamas." Like Hamas or Iran have a monopoly on anti-Israel sentiments.

Israel and Egypt row over reopening Rafah border crossing​

Israel and Egypt are locked in a row over the Rafah border crossing, blaming each other for its continued closure as Gaza's humanitarian crisis worsens.
Israeli forces have taken control of the Gaza side of the crossing.
On Tuesday Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz said he had told the UK and Germany about "the need to persuade Egypt to reopen" the crossing.
But Egypt says it is Israel's military operations in the area which are preventing aid from passing through.
Cairo said Israel was trying to shift the blame for blocked aid.

Mr Katz said the Palestinian armed group Hamas, which attacked southern Israel on 7 October last year, sparking the current war, could no longer "control the Rafah crossing", citing security concerns over which Israel "will not compromise".
"The world places the responsibility for the humanitarian situation on Israel, but the key to preventing a humanitarian crisis in Gaza is now in the hands of our Egyptian friends," Mr Katz wrote on X.
Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry quickly responded to the comments with a statement that said Israel was responsible for the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and that the Israeli military's actions in the Rafah area were blocking aid.
The country has been one of the mediators in stalled ceasefire talks, but its relationship with Israel has been strained since Israel seized the Gaza side of the Rafah crossing on 7 May.
Almost 450,000 Palestinians have fled from Rafah over the past week after the Israeli military moved into the area, the UN says. Israeli tanks are reportedly pushing deeper into Rafah city, which is to the north of the border crossing.

António Guterres, UN secretary-General, said in a statement that he was "appalled by the escalation of military activity in and around Rafah by the Israeli Defense Forces".
Reiterating calls for a ceasefire and for the Rafah crossing to be opened, he continued: "These developments are further impeding humanitarian access and worsening an already dire situation.
"At the same time, Hamas goes on firing rockets indiscriminately. Civilians must be respected and protected at all times, in Rafah and elsewhere in Gaza. For people in Gaza, nowhere is safe now."
The UN and international aid agencies said closures of the Rafah crossing and the Kerem Shalom crossing between Israel and southern Gaza had virtually cut the Gaza strip off from outside aid.
Last week, US State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said it was Israel's duty to keep the Rafah crossing open and running effectively.

In early May, Cindy McCain, head of the UN food agency, said she believed there was a "full-blown famine" in northern Gaza that was "moving its way south".
In its most recent update, Cogat - the Israeli military agency tasked with coordinating aid access in Gaza - said 64 aid trucks entered Gaza on Sunday, significantly down on the daily number of trucks that entered in April.

On Sunday the UN said it hoped a newly opened crossing from Israel to northern Gaza would lead to a sustainable flow of aid into the north of the territory.
On Monday some Israeli protesters blocked aid trucks destined for Gaza, throwing food packages onto the road and ripping bags of grain open in the occupied West Bank.

Also on Sunday Egypt said it would intervene in support of South Africa's case against Israel at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on the basis of Israel's expanded military activity in Gaza and the impact it was having on civilians.
On Friday South Africa asked the ICJ to order Israel to pull out of Rafah as an additional emergency measure in the case, which accuses Israel of acts of genocide.
Israel has said it will proceed with planned military operations in Rafah despite the US and other allies warning that a ground offensive could lead to mass civilian casualties.
The Israeli military has told people in Rafah to move to al-Mawasi - a narrow coastal area which Israel calls an "expanded humanitarian zone" - and Khan Younis, which is largely in ruins after a previous Israeli military incursion there.

Israel launched a military campaign in Gaza after Hamas's attack on southern Israel on 7 October, during which about 1,200 people were killed and 252 others were taken hostage, according to Israeli authorities.
More than 34,900 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-69012303

Israeli minister attacks Netanyahu over Gaza future​

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant has voiced open frustration at the government’s failure to address the question of a post-war plan for Gaza.
In a rare public sign of divisions over the direction of the military campaign within Israel’s war cabinet, Mr Gallant urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to declare publicly that Israel has no plans to take over civilian and military rule in Gaza.
“Since October, I have been raising this issue consistently in the Cabinet,” he said, “and have received no response.”
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responded harshly, saying he was "not ready to exchange Hamastan for Fatahstan," in reference to rival Palestinian groups Hamas and Fatah.
Indecision, he warned, would leave only two bad options in Gaza: Hamas rule or Israeli military rule.
Either “would erode our military achievements, lessen the pressure on Hamas and sabotage chances of achieving a framework for the release of hostages,” Mr Gallant said.
Another member of the war cabinet, Benny Gantz - who has disagreed with Netanyahu in the past - agreed with the defence minister: "Gallant speaks the truth. It is the leadership's responsibility to do the right thing for the country at all costs."
Mr Gallant said that the defence establishment, over which he presides, had presented a war plan to the cabinet as early as the night when Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza began last October. He said the plans included proposals “to establish a local, non-hostile Palestinian governing alternative.”

The day after Hamas, he said, would “only be achieved by Palestinian entities taking control of Gaza, accompanied by international actors.”
He said these proposals were never debated, nor were any alternatives presented.
Mr Gallant said the failure to set out a plan was leading Israel towards a “dangerous course” involving Israeli military and civilian rule over Gaza.
He described that prospect as “a negative and dangerous option for the State of Israel strategically, militarily, and from a security standpoint.”
“I must reiterate: I will not agree to the establishment of Israeli military rule in Gaza. Israel must not establish civilian rule in Gaza.”
“I call on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to make a decision and declare that Israel will not establish civilian control over the Gaza strip, that Israel will not establish military governance in the Gaza strip, and that a governing alternative to Hamas in the Gaza strip will be raised immediately.”
Israeli press reports have recently included suggestions that military leaders have grave misgivings about the lack of a viable plan for Gaza after the war ends. Mr Gallant’s comments this evening bring those misgivings out into the open in a politically explosive way.
On a visit to Ukraine on Wednesday, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said that Israel needed to produce a clear plan for Gaza's future.
"We can't have anarchy and a vacuum that's likely to be filled by chaos," Mr Blinken said.
Mr Netanyahu has previously insisted that discussions on the future governance of Gaza are just “empty talk” as long as Hamas remains in the territory.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cglxlj4m3v0o

At the top of Benjamin Netanyahu's agenda: self-preservation​

Israel's PM has sided with coalition partners over families of hostages, foreign allies

As Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu began addressing a solemn ceremony in Jerusalem earlier this week commemorating the country's dead from wars and other hostilities, Nir Galon rose to his feet and proceeded with a silent, one-man protest.

Standing near the rear of the open-air auditorium, the 43-year-old Jerusalem IT entrepreneur unfurled a large Israeli flag with the date Oct. 7 etched in red and held it aloft until Netanyahu finished speaking.

As the prime minister, without looking up, returned to his seat in the front row, another man in the audience yelled "Garbage!"

"He doesn't have the moral right to be here," Galon told CBC News after the ceremony.

Like many Israelis, Galon blames Netanyahu for not preventing the Hamas-led attacks on Oct. 7, which left more than 1,200 dead and resulted in the capture of more than 250 hostages. Israel responded with a ferocious military campaign in Gaza that has killed upwards of 35,000 people, according to the Gaza health ministry.

Egyptian and Qatari mediators, prodded by CIA director William Burns, have tried for weeks to cajole both Hamas and Israel into accepting a truce along with a prisoner and hostage swap. The Palestinian militant group has held firm on a permanent ceasefire with an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, something Netanyahu has said is totally out of the question.

Those talks appear to be in stasis, and Galon questions Netanyahu's motivation.

"I don't know what is his interest — is he making a decision because it's in his political interest or because he actually cares about people?"

Top among Netanyahu's personal interests is avoiding a criminal trial on a series of charges including breach of trust and accepting bribes, which could proceed full steam ahead were he to lose the prime minister's job.

An alliance with 'Jewish supremacists'​

Netanyahu not only boasts Israel's most successful electoral record — having won six general elections — but his mastery of the dark arts of political survival has so far enabled him to successfully navigate the fallout from the Oct. 7 attack and deflect blame.

His partners in Israel's coalition government include far-right parties led by cabinet ministers Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, who left-leaning Israeli publications have called "Jewish supremacists."

Both men have called for Israel to sacrifice the remaining Israeli hostages and pursue the war against Hamas until the bitter end, with the ultimate goal of driving Palestinians out of Gaza and repopulating the territory with Jewish settlers.

Such calls for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza have infuriated Israel's allies, including the United States, and led to despair for the families of Israel's hostages. But Netanyahu has resisted every plea to distance himself from his far-right benefactors.

"The most important calculation [for Netanyahu] is how not to resign and stay in power. And he's done that," said Mitchell Barak, an American-Israeli political consultant and pollster based in Jerusalem.

With the support of the far-right parties, Netanyahu holds a four-seat majority in the Knesset, Israel's Parliament. In spite of the withering and unrelenting daily criticism he receives from those on Israel's left and in the political centre over his responsibility for the failures on Oct. 7 and the conduct of the war, so far, the parliamentary math has not shifted and he remains firmly in charge.

"For now, he's got a solid group of people who are backing him — until they decide not to," Barak said. "His greatest fear is within the Knesset. The thing that can bring him down now is within the Knesset."

In the aftermath of last year's attacks, Netanyahu forged an emergency war cabinet, bringing in rival ministers from other parties in a bid to create a unified approach to the war against Hamas.

But on Wednesday, long-running fissures in that unity cracked wide open when Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said Netanyahu's refusal to outline a strategy for running Gaza after the war had become untenable.

Defiance over conduct of war​

Gallant said the administration of the territory must be turned over to "non-hostile" Palestinians with the involvement of the international community — something Netanyahu and his right-wing partners have adamantly rejected, because they see it as a possible precursor to the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Gallant's position is roughly in sync with what the Biden administration in the United States has been advocating as part of its plan to wind down the fighting in Gaza and set the conditions for a longer-term solution to the Israeli-Palestinian question.

Netanyahu has forcibly resisted.

"There is no alternative to military victory," he said in a video released by the Prime Minister's Office on the same day as Gallant's message. "The attempt to bypass it with this or that claim is simply detached from reality."

Barak says publicly defying the U.S. may work to Netanyahu's advantage should he end up fighting another election.

"He's like the victim: the man that wants to save Israel and Joe Biden is stopping him," Barak said. "That's the familiar place that he likes to be in."

Even so, recent public opinion surveys in Israel suggest Netanyahu is facing sizeable political headwinds as he tries to push ahead with the military operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, possibly at the expense of a peace deal.

A survey by the Israeli Democracy Institute published on May 13 indicated a majority (56 per cent) of the Jewish public in Israel sees a deal for the hostages as a higher priority than continuing with the war. The result held even for people who identified as voting for Netanyahu's Likud party in the last election.

'He's sacrificing Israel's national security'​

Eran Etzion, a former diplomat and Israeli political strategist, says the disconnect between the Netanyahu government and the Israeli public may yet pressure some of his coalition partners to reconsider their support.

"Netanyahu has long forgotten, or has long abandoned, this position of a reasonable prime minister," Etzion told CBC News from his home outside Jerusalem.

"He's acting completely out of his narrow political interests. He's sacrificing Israel's national security. He's acting against the will of 80 per cent of Israelis, against the deeper strategic interests of Israel in terms of its relations with the Americans, relations with Egypt."

Egypt, a one-time enemy that has forged a key security partnership over the past four decades, has fiercely criticized Israel for proceeding with its incursion into Gaza. There are multiple reports that Egypt may downgrade its diplomatic relationship.

But for many Israelis, it's the downturn in relations with the U.S. — Israel's biggest provider of weapons — that is most worrying.

Etzion says it appears that through its near-daily public admonitions, the Biden administration is trying to go over Netanyahu's head and speak to Israelis directly.

"What the Americans are trying to do is to demonstrate to the Israeli public that ... their government is not representing their interests, and their government is actually working against their interests," said Etzion. "This is true around the negotiating table [with Hamas] and it's true in the wider sense of where this war is going."

After seven months of combat, Israeli forces are now returning to northern and central parts of Gaza where earlier they said Hamas had been subdued. In neighbouring Israeli communities, air raid sirens warning of rocket launches from Gaza have become a familiar sound again.

U.S. officials such as Secretary of State Antony Blinken have warned Israel risks anarchy, chaos and an unending insurgency unless it comes up with a sustainable plan for the future of the territory.

Religious exemptions​

So far, Netanyahu's defiance of the U.S. and the broader international community over the attacks on Rafah, along with his refusal to sack his extremist cabinet ministers for advocating war crimes in Gaza, has not cost him his political majority.

One potential threat, however, could upend the political math.

While serving in the military is mandatory for Israeli Jews, ultra-orthodox men have been able to avoid conscription by signing up for Torah study instead.

The country's high court has ordered an end to subsidies for Torah students, setting up another political fight between the country's far right and other parties, who argue the Haredim, as they're known, should have to do their part in defending the country.

The Haredim community has an extremely high birth rate and is expected to make up 40 per cent of Israel's population in the coming decades.

Benny Gantz, the leader of the Israel Resilience Party, who is a member of Netanyahu's coalition and his war cabinet, has said he will quit the government if the religious exemptions persist.

"There's a real problem within his cabinet, within his government," said Mitchell Barak, the political communications consultant.

But even if the government collapses over the Haredim issue, Barak says Netanyahu's defeat in a subsequent election is not a foregone conclusion, despite his current unpopularity.

"I think he's focusing on the issue of [rejecting] a Palestinian state at this point — and thinking that that's his ticket [for getting re-elected]."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/israel-gaza-benjamin-netanyahu-1.7206266

Israel troops continue posting abuse footage despite pledge to act​

Israel's soldiers are sharing footage of Palestinian detentions in the occupied West Bank, despite the army's pledge to act on previous misconduct revealed by the BBC.
Legal experts say the filming, and its posting online, could be a war crime.
The BBC has analysed 45 photos and videos, which include those of detainees draped in Israeli flags.
The Israel Defense Forces said soldiers have been disciplined or suspended in the event of "unacceptable behaviour".
It did not comment on the individual incidents or soldiers we identified.

International law says detainees must not be exposed to unnecessary humiliation or public curiosity, yet human rights experts say the posting of detention footage does just that.
In February, BBC Verify reported on IDF soldiers' misconduct on social media during the war in Gaza which began after a 7 October Hamas attack on Israel, which killed about 1,200 people. More than 252 others were taken hostage. More than 34,000 people have since been killed by Israel's offensive in Gaza, the territory's Hamas-run health ministry says.
During our earlier investigation, we noticed - and began looking into - a similar pattern of behaviour in the West Bank, which has experienced a spike in violence over the same period.
Despite the BBC's previous reporting on Israeli soldiers' social media misconduct, and the military's subsequent promise to act on our findings, a former Israeli soldier, Ori Givati, says he is far from shocked to hear that this activity is continuing.
A spokesperson for Breaking The Silence - an organisation for former and serving Israeli soldiers which works to expose alleged wrongdoing in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) - Mr Givati added that in fact he believed current far-right political rhetoric in the country is encouraging it further.

"There are no repercussions. They [Israeli soldiers] get encouraged and supported by the highest ministers of the government," he said.
And he says this plays into a mindset that the military already subscribes to.
"The culture in the military, when it comes to Palestinians, is that they are only targets. They are not human beings. This is how the military teaches you to behave."
Israel has built about 160 settlements housing some 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem - land the Palestinians want as part of a future state - in the 1967 Middle East war. The majority of the international community considers the settlements illegal under international law, although Israel disputes this.

Our analysis found that the 45 social media videos and photos that we examined were posted by 11 soldiers of the Kfir Brigade, which is the largest infantry brigade in the IDF and mainly operates in the West Bank. All 11 are, or were, serving soldiers, and did not hide their identity on social media.
Four are from a Kfir Brigade reservist battalion - the 9213 - whose area of operation appears to be in the northern part of the West Bank, according to our analysis of their social media videos.
We asked the IDF about the actions of the individual soldiers we have named and whether they have been disciplined, but they did not respond.
We also attempted to contact these soldiers on their public social media accounts to put our findings to them. One appears to have blocked us and the others did not reply at the time of writing.
The most prolific of these soldiers posts under the name Yohai Vazana.

Many of his videos show his battalion entering homes at night and detaining Palestinians - often binding their hands and blindfolding them. Women are seen panicking as they are filmed without their headscarves.
Mr Vazana - a self-proclaimed "digital creator" whose forearms bear tattoos saying "Never forget never forgive, 7/10" - often refers to his operations as "hunts". His military insignia, visible in the videos, suggests he carries the rank of sergeant major.
He has posted 22 videos and photos on Facebook and TikTok, from what appear to be bodycam footage of patrols, showing the detention of Palestinians.
TikTok confirmed that two videos we highlighted, which had not been taken down on its platform, have now been removed for violating its guidelines which "make clear that we do not tolerate content that seeks to degrade victims of violent tragedies".
Meta, the company that owns Facebook, explained that it is reviewing the content and will remove any videos that violate its policies.

This photo, a screenshot from one of Yohai Vazana's videos, shows members of his battalion forcefully entering a home and posing in front of a Palestinian woman with a child.
Fellow soldier Ofer Bobrov features in a number of shots with Mr Vazana. Captions on his videos often include the hashtag "9213", suggesting he is from Mr Vazana's battalion.
Mr Bobrov's videos of his military operations are posted alongside clips of soldiers dancing and partying, getting ready for patrols, and other snippets from their everyday life.
One video posted on 12 February on TikTok includes several photos of a detainee blindfolded and bound on the floor as a soldier poses with the Israeli flag behind him.

Another soldier from the same battalion, who goes by Sammy Ben online, has posted eight videos and one photo of Palestinian detainees on Instagram.
The detained Palestinians are frequently shown blindfolded and restrained, having been forced to either lie on the floor, or squat, with their hands bound behind their backs, in what are often referred to by military and law enforcement as "stress positions".
Mr Ben says in the posts that he and his fellow soldiers have detained "terrorists" and claim to have found Hamas flags on them. Israel - like the UK, US and other countries - proscribes Hamas as a terrorist organisation.
In one video, Mr Ben, who has also served with IDF forces in Gaza, mocks two detained Palestinians, ordering them to say: "Am Yisrael Chai", meaning "The people of Israel live".
Ori Dahbash is another member of the same battalion who has posted footage of military operations in the West Bank, including a photo of a detainee that has also been shared by Mr Vazana.

Experts said the footage posted by the soldiers could violate international law.
Dr Mark Ellis, executive director of the International Bar Association, called for an investigation into the incidents in the footage, and for the IDF to discipline the soldiers involved.
International human rights lawyer Sir Geoffrey Nice, who worked with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) between 1998 and 2006, agreed with Dr Ellis, but was sceptical anyone would be held to account for their actions.
In response to our investigation, the IDF replied: "The IDF holds its soldiers to a professional standard… and investigates when behavior is not in line with the IDF's values. In the event of unacceptable behavior, soldiers were disciplined and even suspended from reserve duty.

"Additionally, soldiers are instructed to avoid uploading footage of operational activities to social media networks."
The IDF's response did not acknowledge that it had pledged to act on our earlier findings on similar social media misconduct, in Gaza.
Mr Givati, former Israeli commander in the West Bank, said he felt ashamed and disgusted by Israeli soldiers' treatment of detainees.
"We should treat them with the same dignity that we would like to be treated with," he told the BBC.
He said the behaviour reflected how he felt Israeli society views Palestinians, and called into question its claims to abide by international law.

"We have no future as a society if we continue behaving this way," he said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-69020237

At the top of Benjamin Netanyahu's agenda: self-preservation​

Israel's PM has sided with coalition partners over families of hostages, foreign allies

An alliance with 'Jewish supremacists'​

Netanyahu not only boasts Israel's most successful electoral record — having won six general elections — but his mastery of the dark arts of political survival has so far enabled him to successfully navigate the fallout from the Oct. 7 attack and deflect blame.

His partners in Israel's coalition government include far-right parties led by cabinet ministers Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, who left-leaning Israeli publications have called "Jewish supremacists."

Both men have called for Israel to sacrifice the remaining Israeli hostages and pursue the war against Hamas until the bitter end, with the ultimate goal of driving Palestinians out of Gaza and repopulating the territory with Jewish settlers.

Such calls for the ethnic cleansing of Gaza have infuriated Israel's allies, including the United States, and led to despair for the families of Israel's hostages. But Netanyahu has resisted every plea to distance himself from his far-right benefactors.

"The most important calculation [for Netanyahu] is how not to resign and stay in power. And he's done that," said Mitchell Barak, an American-Israeli political consultant and pollster based in Jerusalem.

'He's sacrificing Israel's national security'​

But even if the government collapses over the Haredim issue, Barak says Netanyahu's defeat in a subsequent election is not a foregone conclusion, despite his current unpopularity.
A prayer for the US Democrats' fans, who were really hoping the Israel issue would magically solve itself so that they can feel good about voting for a genocidal maniac in November.

Key member of Israel's war cabinet threatens resignation over war strategy in Gaza​

Gantz's departure would leave Netanyahu more beholden to far-right allies

Benny Gantz, a member of Israel's three-man war cabinet, has threatened to resign from the government if it doesn't adopt a new plan for the war, a move that would leave Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu more reliant on his far-right allies.

His announcement escalates a divide within Israel's leadership more than seven months into a war in which it has yet to accomplish its stated goals of dismantling Hamas and returning scores of hostages abducted in the Oct. 7 attack.

Gantz spelled out a six-point plan that includes the return of scores of hostages, ending Hamas's rule, demilitarizing the Gaza strip and establishing an international administration of civilian affairs. It also supports efforts to normalize relations with Saudi Arabia.

He said if it is not adopted by June 8, he will quit the government: "If you choose the path of fanatics and lead the entire nation to the abyss, we will be forced to quit the government," Gantz said.

Netanyahu in a statement reported by Israeli media, responded by saying Gantz had chosen to issue an ultimatum to the prime minister instead of to Hamas, and called his conditions "euphemisms" for Israel's defeat.

Gantz, a popular politician and longtime political rival of Netanyahu, joined his coalition and the war cabinet in the early days of the war.

The departure of the former military chief of staff and defence minister would leave Netanyahu even more beholden to far-right allies, who have taken a hard line on negotiations over a ceasefire and hostage release, and who believe Israel should occupy Gaza and rebuild Jewish settlements there.

Gantz spoke days after Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, the third member of the war cabinet, said he would not remain in his post if Israel elected to reoccupy Gaza. Gallant also called on the government to make plans for Palestinian administration of the enclave.

In what will be seen by many as a swipe at Netanyahu, Gantz said that "personal and political considerations have begun to penetrate into the holy of holies of Israel's security." Netanyahu's critics accuse the prime minister of seeking to prolong the war to avoid new elections, allegations he denies.

Polls suggest Netanyahu would be replaced in elections, with Gantz the most likely candidate to be the next prime minister. That would expose Netanyahu to prosecution on long-standing corruption charges.

"The people of Israel are watching you," Gantz said in his prime-time address to Netanyahu.

Mounting pressure on Netanyahu​

Netanyahu is under growing pressure on multiple fronts. Hard-liners in his government want the military offensive on Gaza's southernmost city of Rafah to press ahead with the goal of crushing Hamas.

Top ally the United States and others have warned against the offensive on a city where more than half of Gaza's population of 2.3 million had sheltered — hundreds of thousands have now fled — and they have threatened to scale back support over Gaza's humanitarian crisis.

U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan will be in Saudi Arabia and Israel this weekend to discuss the war and is scheduled on Sunday to meet with Netanyahu, who has declared that Israel would "stand alone" if needed.

Many Israelis, anguished over the hostages and accusing Netanyahu of putting political interests ahead of all else, want a deal to stop the fighting and get them freed. There was fresh frustration on Friday when the military said its troops in Gaza found the bodies of three hostages killed by Hamas in the Oct. 7 attack. The discovery of the body of a fourth hostage was announced on Saturday.

Thousands of Israelis again rallied Saturday evening to demand a deal along with new elections.

The latest talks in pursuit of a ceasefire, mediated by Qatar, the U.S. and Egypt, have brought little. A vision beyond the war is also uncertain.

Israel takes over some ground in Rafah​

Meanwhile, Israeli troops and tanks pushed on Saturday into parts of a congested northern Gaza Strip district that they had previously skirted, killing and wounding dozens of Palestinians, medics and residents said.

Israel's forces also took over some ground in Rafah, a southern city next to the Egyptian border that is packed with displaced people and where the launch this month of a long-threatened incursion to crush holdouts of Hamas has alarmed Cairo and Washington.

In what Israeli media said was the result of intelligence gleaned during the latest incursions, the military announced the recovery of the body of a man who was among more than 250 hostages seized by Hamas in a cross-border rampage on Oct. 7 that triggered the war.

Ron Binyamin's remains were located along with those of three other slain hostages whose repatriation was announced on Friday, the military said, without providing further details. There was no immediate comment from Hamas.

Israel has conducted renewed military sweeps this month of parts of northern Gaza, where it had declared the end of major operations in January. At the time, it also predicted its forces would return to prevent a regrouping by the Palestinian militant group that rules Gaza.

One site has been Jabalia, the largest of Gaza's eight historic refugee camps. On Saturday, troops and tanks edged into streets so far spared the ground offensive, residents said. In one strike, medics said, 15 Palestinians were killed and dozens wounded.

The Gaza Health Ministry and the Civil Emergency Service said teams received dozens of calls about possible casualties but were unable to carry out any searches because of the ongoing ground offensive and the aerial bombardment.

The Israeli military said its forces have continued to operate in areas across the Gaza Strip, including Jabalia and Rafah, carrying out what it called "precise operations against terrorists and infrastructure."

Rising death toll​

Armed wings of Hamas, the Islamic Jihad and Fatah said fighters attacked Israeli forces in Jabalia and Rafah with anti-tank rockets, mortar bombs and explosive devices already planted in some of the roads, killing and wounding many soldiers.

Israel's military said 281 soldiers have been killed in fighting since the first ground incursions in Gaza on Oct 20.

At least 35,386 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes since Oct. 7, according to figures from the enclave's Health Ministry, while aid agencies have warned repeatedly of widespread hunger and dire shortages of fuel and medical supplies.

In the Hamas-led attack on Israel on Oct. 7, about 1,200 people were killed, according to Israeli tallies, and about 125 people are still being held in Gaza.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gantz-netanyahu-israel-hamas-war-rafah-1.7208745

A nation convulsed by fascism
No. That is not fascism. Fascism is a totalitarian ideology that aims to subserve the individual to the needs of the state. It's an ideology of slavery, to be sure. But equal slavery for all citizens.

What we are seeing there is just plain old genocidal evil.

I'm still not convinced that Israel is committed to genocide per se, I do suspect that Israel is aiming for ethnic cleansing which is a different policy that does not technically constitute genocide. That doesn't change the strong likelihood that Israel has committed numerous war crimes in order to terrorise the Palestinian population into fleeing Gaza.

On the other hand there are cracks in Israel's war cabinet. What I don't know is whether Netenhayu can maintain a government solely with the support of the right wing Zionist political factions

And I don't really care to address the Palestinian perspective as a case in ''correcting'' some ''historical wrong'' from their grandparent's time. [there's already a guy in Russia with that mindset doing that, but I digress]
"Historical wrong" my left foot, most Israeli settlements and cities are built on mass displacements of Palestinians, and the displacement of Palestinians and the settlement of areas internationally recognised as Palestinian territory is still ongoing. Comparing the plight of displaced people fighting for the right to return to an imperialist megalomaniac is still the least egregious thing you've said on this issue

The Arab states at present cover 13million sqkm, while the Israeli "Empire" consists of small sausage factory in Tanganyika. less than 1/500 of that. I hardly think the former can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front...

The Arab states at present cover 13million sqkm, while the Israeli "Empire" consists of small sausage factory in Tanganyika. less than 1/500 of that. I hardly think the former can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front...
On the other hand the definition of Arab states you're quoting is linguistic rather than political and a shared language doesn't make the Arab states imperiailstic. Covering a large amount of territory (including a large hunk of desert) doesn't make the Arab states imperialistic either. I'm afraid I find your assertion unconvincing

The Arab states at present cover 13million sqkm, while the Israeli "Empire" consists of small sausage factory in Tanganyika. less than 1/500 of that.
I'm sure that the millions of stateless displaced Palestintians will be stoked to hear that
I hardly think the former can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front...
The Arab states are to be blamed for what exactly?

Top Bottom