[We the People] Mod overview

Cool thanks. I was not sure. I thought that maybe even the 3.0.1 changelog file in my installed mod would say 3.0 even if it is 3.0.1

I might skip the two bugfixes then, I did a few changes myself to the last installation such as a green starting colour for playing England and |I do not want to redo it all.

Just to give quick overview of the modder status of WTP.
(In cases somebody wants to know who can be contacted and is still around.)

-------

Blue: officially retired, still listed to honor contributions
Red: contact lost since more than a year - probably retired
Purple: no contributions within last 6 months - still in contact
Yellow: irregular contributions within the last 6 months
Green: noteable contributions within the last 2 months
Of course I hope that some of you guys return to modding. :)
You are always welcome back. :grouphug:

------

Status "potential new modders":

There are also a few new supporers from our discord like @Windock or @Elirector or ignasito that also contributed recently.
Some others had discussed about contributing but until now have not yet had any actual contributions to the mod.

------

If I forgot to put somebody who is still considered active or even recently contributing on the list, let me know. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Folks, long time no see...
Hi there, nice to see you around again. :)

Absolutely awesome that this mod is still alive. Congrats!
Yeah, it is not always easy to keep a monster like this alive.
But it is kind of worth it after so many years of effort already invested.

@raystuttgart - Maybe you can change my status from blue to green within the next few days... :crazyeye::thumbsup:
Wow, that comes unexpected, but welcome back. :grouphug:
Let me know if you need any information or support to get started.

I assume I will definitely need help to get the platform for sharing modding results working. :shifty:
GIT is actually pretty easy to use and install. :)

This here is the base installation of GIT, but you will normally, so Tortoise GIT can call it:

This here is Tortoise GIT, so you can directly commit / push / pull from Windows explorer:

---

There are just a few small differences in Commands:

Most importantly:
Pull
(downloading / synchronizing changes from Server)
Push (uploading / syncrhonizing changes to Server)
Commit ("readies" your changes locally so you can then do a Push)

To Upload: First Commit, then Push (there is an option to directly push when doing a Commit)
To Download: Pull (if you just work on one single branch there is nothing special to take care off)

---

But if you want, we could simply have a "Zoom" session so I can explain you everything if needed.:thumbsup:
But as I said, it is not that difficult to get started with GIT.

---

But if you want, we could simply have a "Zoom" session so I can explain you everything if needed.:thumbsup:

Zoom or Discord would be great. I installed Git for WIndows and Tortoise GIT but I have no idea how to connect with the hub and to get the current branch...

... how to connect with the hub and to get the current branch...

That is easy, I will try to explain. :thumbsup:
(also see my screnshots in the Spoilers)

----------

Step 1: Create a Folder and start "Clone"

1) Create a Folder (e.g. "New_Hope") -- you could e.g. directly create it in "Mods"
2) Right Click and go to menu "TortoiseGit"
3) Select "Clone" to start the menu to create a repository

Spoiler :

Create_Folder.png

----------

Step 2: Simply enter the data below in the 3 fields

1) URL: https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod.git <--- URL to our GIT server
2) Directory: C:\Games\Colonization\Mods\New_Hope\ <--- directory you created (if there is an additional "Mod" at the end, remove it)
3) Branch: New_Hope <--- name of branch you want to use

Spoiler :

Settings.png

----------

Then simply click "OK" and wait for GIT to finish the download.
(The folder will then be your local repository.)

Edit:

Step 3: Get the Compiler and compile a DLL

All you need to do is click "Get Compiler" batch file and then click "compile.pl" and chose "Option 2".
It will automatically compile a DLL and put it into /Assets folder of the mod.

Step 4: Adjust the Shortcut so it can directly start the mod

I guess you still know how to do it.
(But maybe somebody else may also read this at some point.)

Edit "Properties" of the Hyperlink and add the red part:
C:\games\Colonization\Colonization.exe mod="\New_Hope"

Step 5:
Start the game with the Shortcut

And then have fun modding again. :)

---

Voila, you should be set. :thumbsup:
(If it is not working, let us do a session then.)

Last edited:
hi @raystuttgart.
can you tell me if I need to uninstall Git for Desktop and install Git for Windows and TurtleGit or can I just install TurtleGit and do the work as you described (pull, push, commit)?
I'm sorry, I was never able to figure it out myself and could not find people with my language who could help me figure it out.

can you tell me if I need to uninstall Git for Desktop and install Git for Windows and TurtleGit or can I just install TurtleGit and do the work as you described (pull, push, commit)?
Honestly I do not know - I always used "Tortoise Git" (Windows Explorer Integration) with "Git for Windows" (actual client). :dunno:
Why start experimenting with different stuff if that approach works for sure?

This is how it looks like:
(Most important commands highlighted in red.)
Spoiler :

Screenshot (4).png

---------

One thing I learned in programming:
Do not start messing with "strange combination" - chose a solution approach that is "proven in use".
(Because then people may be able to help you and answer your questions.)

So either you chose the solution that @Nightinggale showed you or the solution I showed you.
But do not try to use a bit of both because then you may end up with strange problems neither of us 2 understands.

Thus:
Chose one single solution for GIT.
And use it exactly as it is supposed to be used.

----------

However:
If you switch your Git-tools you most likely need to recreate your local repositories with the new Git-tools.
(Because they may store the local repository data in a different way - I simply cannot tell you.)

So if you now want switch to "Tortoise Git" + "Git for Windows" delete your local Git repositories.
Then create clean new local Git repositories as I have described here.

Last edited:
GIT is actually pretty easy to use and install. :)

This here is the base installation of GIT, but you will normally, so Tortoise GIT can call it:

This here is Tortoise GIT, so you can directly commit / push / pull from Windows explorer:

---

There are just a few small differences in Commands:

Most importantly:
Pull
(downloading / synchronizing changes from Server)
Push (uploading / syncrhonizing changes to Server)
Commit ("readies" your changes locally so you can then do a Push)

To Upload: First Commit, then Push (there is an option to directly push when doing a Commit)
To Download: Pull (if you just work on one single branch there is nothing special to take care off)

---

I was not able to push. I committed first and then tried to push, but I got this message:

1666129358453.png

I was not able to push. I committed first and then tried to push, but I got this message:
There was a change of me today which you did not pull first.

Thus GIT says there is a conflict because you are not "up to date".
(To prevent serious issues it says, "please get up to date" first.)

If you do a "Pull" first and then "Push" it will work just fine. :thumbsup:
(You always need to synch changes from the server before you upload your own changes.)

This is the safest sequence, you can simply always do:

1) Pull (get changes from the server)
2) Commit (ready your changes locally)
3) Push (upload your changes locally)

If you already commited (before "pull") you can however still:
(Which is the case for you at the moment.)

1) Pull (get changes from the server)
2) Push (upload your changes locally)

----

Summary:
Always use "Pull" first to get the changes from the server.
(It will locally merge updates from the server with your own changes in your repository.)

Last edited:
Once again something went wrong...I committed and pushed a lot of files (updated logwood collector). At my side all files are green, but neither on discord nor on slack it is shown that I uploaded these files. I don't know what went wrong. :cry:

... but neither on discord nor on slack it is shown that I uploaded these files.
I also looked. There was no change uploaded.
(Most likely you just commited without push)

I don't know what went wrong.
What you could do is:

1) Try to check again if your changed files have actually been copied to the repository.
(In case you have a "play" folder and a local repository. I also once copied wrong.)

2) Try to "push" again to the server. Maybe you just did a "commit" without a "push".
(Because "green" just says that there is locally no uncommited changes.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom