What Real Life Civilizations would have achieved one of the victory conditions?

hewhoknowsall

Warlord
In real life, do you think that any civilizations achieved any of the victory conditions that exist in Civilization 4?

I think that America and Russia are competing for a Space race victory, but no one has SS parts yet. America at the same time is going for a Cultural victory due to it's failure at a Diplomatic victory. China was put behind by a massive string of civic changes but is now starting to get back into the game, also trying for a Space race victory.

That is what the world would be like if it was a Civ4 game.

Britain tried to go for domination or conquest but their economy crashed so they had to give it up. People tried to tell em switch to state property but they didn't like that civic.

I figured that Cultural Victory would be the easiest to figure out, as we know how many cultural points each wonder and structure creates, and we have pretty good historical info on when these were built in various nations. Just divide the wonders up by the countries they are in, count the turns since they were built and add up the culture (not forgetting to double culture for the ones over a certain age).

That is what the world would be like if it was a Civ4 game.[/QUOTE]

Conquest: Germany tried but failed, as did many before them, but yeah none succeeded.

Domination: Britain came pretty close, but only controlled about 1/4 of the land and I believe that the victory condition is higher.

Cultural: Hmmm...well, Rome and Athens could've been "legendary", and then if they were to get once more they (Rome) might have won. Or America with Washington D.C. + New York + Boston or some combination like that.

Space Race: Well, many superpowers know about fusion, plus they know about robotics, and satellites, and genetics, and ecology...heck, they have all of the technologies necessary! Where is that space ship??? :lol:

Well, America is busy with it's war over oil in the Middle East, Russia has to redevelop after the collaspe of the USSR, so China has a goo chance to catch up due it it's good overall production.

Well, America is busy with it's war over oil in the Middle East, Russia has to redevelop after the collaspe of the USSR, so China has a goo chance to catch up due it it's good overall production.

But America already has oil sources at home, right? One oil source is surely enough to produce modern armor and such, so all's fine there. I mean, excess oil sources is good, but it's unlikely that an enemy civ would get a pillaging stack all the way to America when America has Stealths, and its citizens having access to firearms will go into Viva la Resistance for quite a while.

Legendary cities are a bit hard to define, but I really don't see anyone have three of them. No one are even close to space(and certainly don't know fusion and genetics the way Civ thinks of these techs) and UN seems unlikely. Domination/conquest is out of the picture so China will win a time victory.

I wonder how Civ20 will be :)

I'd say the European Union would have won cultural (considering the EU countries are in permanent alliance, their individual merits count towards the global victory progress of the team); think about it: Paris, Rome & Athens are ancient & really famous cities, flooded by tourism (tell me if that's not legendary culture).

America won space already.
Cultural America has New York, Boston, DC, Los Angelas. Coke, Pepsi, Ford, GM, ESPN, Nike, Hollywood.

We got culture already.

Edit: I hate to be that guy, but this thread has been beaten to death.

Cue all the America haters.

Well, many superpowers know about fusion,
I have a couple of quibbles with this phrase. Many superpowers? I know of only two nations which have ever commonly been referred to as superpowers, and one of those hasn't existed for over a decade. Know about fusion? You mean they know we have no form of it which can be practically applied, right? Or do you think they have the secret cold-fusion reactor in a warehouse with the car that runs on water and the ark of the covenant?

The US is going for a domination victory now, but the way we run our vassals is quite a bit different than the game mechanics of CivIV allow.

If we consider space colonization to be a space win (Alpha centauri is a lot farther away than you think if you believe we are working on that) then the US, Russia and China (to a lesser extent) could all be said to have much of the progress done, though none appears committed to permanent settlements on the moon or Mars yet. (both of which will have human colonies long before we can even reach AC)

Plenty of European cities could be said to have legendary culture, certainly London, Paris, Rome, Athens, and Vienna. They are all under one political body now, but it wouldn't be proper to assign the culture from all the art in all those cities to the EU, as none of it has been created since the EU was formed.

So I would say no one has reached victory yet.

Cultural America has New York, Boston, DC, Los Angelas. Coke, Pepsi, Ford, GM, ESPN, Nike, Hollywood.

We got culture already.

If coke and ESPN are culture, we've lowered the bar and can't call it civilization.

If coke and ESPN are culture, we've lowered the bar and can't call it civilization.

Love people like you. And the Palestinians who eat McDonald's and drink their Coca-Cola in between anti-USA chants. Coke is sold all over the entire world. Anymore, Coke is about as American as, well, apple pie.

I have a couple of quibbles with this phrase. Many superpowers? I know of only two nations which have ever commonly been referred to as superpowers, and one of those hasn't existed for over a decade. Know about fusion? You mean they know we have no form of it which can be practically applied, right? Or do you think they have the secret cold-fusion reactor in a warehouse with the car that runs on water and the ark of the covenant?

The US is going for a domination victory now, but the way we run our vassals is quite a bit different than the game mechanics of CivIV allow.

If we consider space colonization to be a space win (Alpha centauri is a lot farther away than you think if you believe we are working on that) then the US, Russia and China (to a lesser extent) could all be said to have much of the progress done, though none appears committed to permanent settlements on the moon or Mars yet. (both of which will have human colonies long before we can even reach AC)

Plenty of European cities could be said to have legendary culture, certainly London, Paris, Rome, Athens, and Vienna. They are all under one political body now, but it wouldn't be proper to assign the culture from all the art in all those cities to the EU, as none of it has been created since the EU was formed.

So I would say no one has reached victory yet.

Sorry, I meant superpower (USA) and world powers know about fusion, genetic, ecology, robotics, satellites, etc. although I really think that Civ underestimates the technology needed to reach Alpha Centauri. And since you win the instant that you build all of the parts, that would imply that you reach it within a year, which would require faster than light travel which won't be around for centuries, milenia or maybe even never.

As for cultural victory, USA has DC, Boston, New York, etc. plus Hollywood, The Statue of Liberty, etc. Adding the +100% culture of Free Speech, as well as their numerous Great Artists celebrity singers/dancers/actors/etc., they could culture bomb these cities and assign artists like crazy (since they have quite an excess of food and we need to stop the obesity problem anyway), which could (if it has not already) cause a cultural victory for the USA as well as culture flipping Canada and Mexico.

We got culture already.

I'm sure I'll just be pigeonholed as an America hater (love people like you - you preemptively call anyone who doesn't agree with you an "America hater".. See, I can stereotype too!)... But isn't a requirement of cultural victory long term culture? You can build zero wonders and then start going *NUTS* and getting darned near everything in the latter 20% of the game and still take a stupidly long time to achieve cultural victory.

You've listed off cultural accolades which, in Civ terms, is basically the equivalent of building Hollywood, a few other wonders, and a bunch of corporations very late in the game. I don't know about you, but I've never won a cultural victory like that.. And that being the case, I don't really see the USA being in the running for cultural victory winner.

Actually, it may be doubtful that anyone wins any victory by 2050, so time victory may be the one. This would most likely be the USA or China depending on how long USA holds its superpower status for.

Love people like you. And the Palestinians who eat McDonald's and drink their Coca-Cola in between anti-USA chants. Coke is sold all over the entire world. Anymore, Coke is about as American as, well, apple pie.
I draw a distinction between cultural and commercial phomomena, as does CivIV. Not all corporations generate culture.

Actually, it may be doubtful that anyone wins any victory by 2050, so time victory may be the one. This would most likely be the USA or China depending on how long USA holds its superpower status for.

If you're going to 2050 then the us definitely won't be winning time; it'll either be China or India.

Also, to the guy that said the us has won a space victory, you're an idiot. The moon is not Alpha Centauri.

Top Bottom