Wheel of Time Unit: Asha'man (Oct. 4, 2004)

Neomega said:
I noticed he is dressed in a 18th-19th century style. Does wheel of time cover the entire historical timeline, or stay mostly in this era?
Judging by the cover art of the series, I'd say the rough RL historical equivalent would be 16th-17th century Europe, perhaps even a bit later -- but in the books gunpowder is only just beginning to be used for anything other than fireworks. There seem to be cage-style lobster helmets (Cromwellilan feel), rapier-type swords and a fair bit of poofy sleeves and lace. Then again, the Aiel are half-naked savages with spears who can kick everybody else's ass, so that doesn't really fit in to RL history. Plus, I get the impression that some civs from the "borderlands" use good old-fashioned broadswords. I don't get the impression that there's much full plate, but rather a lot of "post-plate," sort of what you'd expect once firearms got used more often. I think it's a bit of a mish mash, personally.

I'm sure someone in the WoT thread could give a better answer than what I've given.

Nice unit CamJH, and welcome to the unit making club. Expect to not have any life outside of Civ III for the next few years :p

I must say that this guy would be perfect for one of the Estar UU's in my FF mod: the SeeD Commandos. (although I might make a "Garden" resource that appears when the Para-Magic tech is researched that allows anyone with access to the Garden to train SeeDs). Ironically enough, in Final Fantasy VIII, it's the female side of magic that's tainted, and the SeeDs were created to prevent any more Sorceresses from trying to take over/destroy the world. Actually it's a bit more complicated than that. Basically, Sorceresses are the only ones who can use true magic, while SeeDs and the various combat soldiers of the different nations use what's called Para-Magic. Para-Magic can only be used after the person bonds with a supernatural creature called a Guardian Force, and the magic itself must be drawn from enemies and monsters before it can be used.

Anyways, I'd also like to see som "Others" from the Snow and Ice series (my friend has that book, and it was rather interesting). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the series where winter comes only once every 20 years or so, but lasts about a year or so, and there's also this great wall at the line of permanent winter where one of the nations stand guard to keep the "Others" (these ghost-type creatures that would be classified as "outsiders" in D&D) from invading, especially during the winters, when the Others move abroad. I know this description is kinda vague, but it's been about 2 years since I read anything of the series.

Mithadan said:
Judging by the cover art of the series, I'd say the rough RL historical equivalent would be 16th-17th century Europe, perhaps even a bit later -- but in the books gunpowder is only just beginning to be used for anything other than fireworks. There seem to be cage-style lobster helmets (Cromwellilan feel), rapier-type swords and a fair bit of poofy sleeves and lace. Then again, the Aiel are half-naked savages with spears who can kick everybody else's ass, so that doesn't really fit in to RL history. Plus, I get the impression that some civs from the "borderlands" use good old-fashioned broadswords. I don't get the impression that there's much full plate, but rather a lot of "post-plate," sort of what you'd expect once firearms got used more often. I think it's a bit of a mish mash, personally.

I'm sure someone in the WoT thread could give a better answer than what I've given.
You pretty much got it right. There's a guy trying to invent the horseless carriage, yet Mat is on the verge of discovering how to use fireworks as weopans. Most warlike nations like the Aiel and Borderlanders still resort to good old fashioned weapons, while the Seanchan learned to capture female mages and collar them to use as weapons. There seems to be a little bit of everything in the books. Good fantasy.

Great first unit! :thumbsup:
And it's fantasy and not historical aswell. :D

tjedge1 said:
You pretty much got it right. There's a guy trying to invent the horseless carriage, yet Mat is on the verge of discovering how to use fireworks as weopans. Most warlike nations like the Aiel and Borderlanders still resort to good old fashioned weapons, while the Seanchan learned to capture female mages and collar them to use as weapons. There seems to be a little bit of everything in the books. Good fantasy.
I hadn't heard of the guy trying to invent the horseless carriage. Was it in the newest book, that Prequel to the Eye of the World? I haven't read that one yet, because I haven't run into a free copy (I swear I'll never spend any money on this series, it ain't worth it!)

I remember in the vision of the origin of the Aiel and their links to the Tinkers, there were flying chariots and other whacky things like that. You might say that before the Breaking of the World, things were rather technologically advanced.

Edit: What are you guys going to do for Seanchan units? Maybe there's enough beasty & saurian influences there to be of interest to a certain unit maker (cough cough) who has been known to make similar type units, and who has recently expressed intreset in a Trollock unit (cough cough). ;)

Maybe you should see a doctor about that cough...

Poor Kinboat; good talent never goes unpunished!

Great unit. I'm not a big WoT fan, but I would love to see the Mod, and I have many, many possible uses for something that looks this good. And had you not mentioned it, I would never have known it was this was your first.

Mithadan said:
I hadn't heard of the guy trying to invent the horseless carriage. Was it in the newest book, that Prequel to the Eye of the World? I haven't read that one yet, because I haven't run into a free copy (I swear I'll never spend any money on this series, it ain't worth it!)

I haven't read the prequel either, because I'm more interested in Jordan just finishing the series, Crossroads at Twilight was a waste, but Winterheart was pretty cool. The guy trying to invent the horseless carriage is in Cairhien and I think he is introduced to Rand around the 6th or 7th book. Maybe, it's been a while since I read this series.

@Kinboat: I love your Panda Buddha avatar.

Hmm... I'm just thinking in terms of Poser here... if Kinboat is going to make multiple kinds of these monstrosities, maybe the best thing to do is to make a body and then have the heads attachable? Like legos... :D

That doesn't sound twisted at all... :mischief:
Interesting idea though. I would think that a mask, working something like a helmet that you could attach to the head of his paperdoll figure would work too. But when it comes down to it, I'll let Kinboat do whatever he wants and be happy with the results. :)

tjedge1 said:
I haven't read the prequel either, because I'm more interested in Jordan just finishing the series, Crossroads at Twilight was a waste, but Winterheart was pretty cool. The guy trying to invent the horseless carriage is in Cairhien and I think he is introduced to Rand around the 6th or 7th book. Maybe, it's been a while since I read this series.
Last I heard, Jordan didn't even care about finishing the series. Can you tell? Anyway, I thought that inventor guy in Cairhien got killed off!

Well, he's almost done with the next one; "Knife of Dreams" I believe is the name he's given it. Then he promised to wrap up the series in the following book (minus of course the other two prequels :rolleyes: ), and since he claims to have known the ending since he wrote the first book I'm hoping the completion isn't that far off.

As far as the inventor being killed off, we just had the same debate over at the Mod thread and someone (I'm too lazy to go check :) ) pointed out that it wasn't him that was killed but the philosopher.

CamJH said:
Well, he's almost done with the next one; "Knife of Dreams" I believe is the name he's given it. Then he promised to wrap up the series in the following book (minus of course the other two prequels :rolleyes: ), and since he claims to have known the ending since he wrote the first book I'm hoping the completion isn't that far off.
I thought he was getting bored of his own work, but if he has that much planned out then maybe not. I'm not reading his prequels till he finishes the series though. That would just confuse me.

Wow, only two more books to go (plus two more prequels?)? Wow! I thought it would take another five for sure before Tarmon Gaidon (sp?).

I don't think I ever distinguished the philosopher guy from the horseless carriage guy (probably because I don't remember any reference to a horseless carriage, oh well!).

Thanks for the info, BTW. Good luck with the mod, and even better luck with more great units! :crazyeye:

Top Bottom