words of an empire: A recopilation of letters and historical writings

Achcauhtli II

The following were the first talks the Russian and French had with the new emperor Achcauhtli II.

Messenger: Catherine from Russia has come to see you.
Achcauhtli II: Let her in.
Catherine: Hello Achcauhtli II, I am sorry for the death of your father. Your father made a mistake and I want you to fix it.
Achcauhtli II: What was the mistake?
Catherine: He traded with the vile Chinese.
Achcauhtli II: You don't like Mao Zedong?
Catherine: No, and I would appretiate you cancel your deals with them.
Achcauhtli II: No. I can't turn my back on them.
Catherine: What!? Well then, it seems you wont be better than your father.
(Catherine leaves)

Messenger: Achcauhtli II, Napoleon is here, do Ilet him in?
Achcauhtli II: I guess so.
Napoleon: Hello Achcauhtli II, I know we have a bad history, but that was the past, you are a new generation, with new ideas, aren't you?
Achcauhtli II: yes
Napoleon: Well, how would you like peace?
Achcauhtli II: I could consider this.
Napoleon: If you give me gunpowder--
Achcauhtli II: Get out of my palace! trying to blackmail me.
Napoleon: Fine, I'll have to tach you a lesson.
(Napoleon leaves)

Military Changes

The following is a letter from Cuetzpalli II to his parents (Cuetzpalli and Izel)

Dear Parents:

I have great news. I hae enlisted in the military. And even better, we will be the most modern dvision. We will form the First Musketman Division, since the Royal Musketman Guard is already forming. By 1715, we will be ready. We are learning how to use the new weapons, and the new tactics. Dad will be surprised how the knight armor can be peared so easily by our projectiles. The projectiles ar called bullets by the way. I have heard of upgrades to other units, so they are more technologically advanced. Maybe knights are upgrded. Who knows. I have to go. I'll see yo in a month,when I get my vacations.

Cuetzpalli II

The following is part of Ehecatl's journal. Ehecatl is son of Ilhuitl II, son of Ilhuitl who was in the Afar Division of Elephants, and we read a part of his journal in post 16. Ilhuitl died in 1700.

I have entered the Afar Division of Elephants, thanks to the new military tradition. The military has said that if the son of a soldier wants to join the military as the same type of soldier as his father, than he can enter the same division as his father. I don't like it much because I feel I am only here because of my dad. My grandfther, my father and me have been in the same divisio, so this is our "family" division. We are still stationed at the fort outside Toph (the government should name the fort already) I hope I get to see some action, unlike my grandfather.

The following is a letter from the Cuetzpalli to his sun Cuetzpalli II.

Dear Cuetzpalli II:
You were right, we have been upgraded. Now we are called cavalry and we don't use armor. We use those muskets like you, but we ride horses at the same time. If you had enrolled as a knight in 1715, you could have been in the same diviion as me. I am proud though that you were one of the first gunpowder divisions.
I am too old for these modern weapons. 65 years of swordsfighting has made me useless with gunpowder. I also have to learn new tactics. Its like bing in the academy all over again. Where are you stationed at? I haven't heard from you. I hope you are ok.

Cuetzpalli

Cutzpalli has been in the military for 45 years and had becom a general. Cutzpalli II was stationed at Tenochtitlan but was moved to the fort outside Toph as said in a letter. Cuetzpalli died in 1730. Izel died in 1731.

Trading with Rusia

The following was a trade discusion between Catherine and Achcauhtli II:

Achcauhtli II: I was thinking we should map all of the nation, and give official names to all rivers, mountains, oceans, and islands. Is that possible and when would it be ready?
Geographer: Well, considering our vast size, it would take some years to accurately map everything, and have it ready.
Achcauhtli II: Well, you should get started right away.
Messenger: I hope I am not interrupting, but Catherine is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: Let her in.
Catherine: Hello Achcauhtli II, it seems we started our relations with the wrong foot. Would you like to trade?
Achcauhtli II: Sure.
Catherine: I would like some ivory. I could give you Russian quality fur for it.
Achcauhtli II: Hmmmm... let me contact someone. Messenger call Ollin.
(Ollin is the Military Advisor, High General of the Supreme Aztec Army is his official name)
(messenger goes for Ollin. Returns minutes later with Ollin)
(private from Catherine)
Achcauhtli II: Ollin, is it a good idea to give elephants to Catherine?
Ollin: Considering she doesn't like us very much, and she likes war, it would be risky. We could just cancel our deals if she goes to war.
Achcauhtli II: But the war elephants would already be trained. I am going to decline her offer.
(comes out to Catherine)
Achcauhtli II: Sorry Catherine we can't trade you that.
Catherine: I only wasted my time!
(Catherine leaves)

Unknown Waters

The following is from Mazatl's journal, the new captain of caravel Toph II:

Today we honor Eztli, the previous captain of this legendary ship. He died of old age, and his son, who is a miner of iron in Toph City, commemorated him. I hope I am a good captain. I am 35 years old, 15 years older then when Eztli became captain, so I think I can be a good captain too.
We have been commissioned in a mission to explore places of the sea previously unexplored by us. There are myths of monsters living in those areas, but I don't believe any of that.
Today we entered unknown waters. It is pretty cold, and occasionally we hear big splashes in the water. The weirdest thing I have seen is a silhouette in the water of a huge animal. I think I was the only one who saw it, so I think I imagined it.
Today we were hit by a monster. We were sailing at a good speed and suddenly,we heard a big splash and the ship jumped in the air. When it landed, water swallowed the lower deck, and several men fell off. We got all of the men back, except one. The crew thinks he was eaten. We then saw the animal. He was a very dark blue, and spa out water. His tail looked like a wing of a butterfly, and it was coming in and out of the water. We were all amazed. We then saw our ship and saw that the hull had been damaged. We are going to have to return to get repairs.

They kept sailing through unknown waters until Mazatl's death in 1780.

Emancipation

The following is a letter William F. G. Morton wrote to Achcauhtli II:

Emperor Accauhtli II:

I have written a book, r a set of laws, that can change the way this nation works. Our workers work on poor conditions, with low salary, and few rights. They are disrespected and are treated almost like slaves. We should, in fact, praise them. It is because of them we have food, houses, roads, and all our resources. I request a presentation with you to show my documents and change our labor sysytem. I guarantee oher nations will be jealous of what I will show you.

The following is the conversation between Achcauhtli II and William F. G. Morton in his presentation.

Achcauhtli II: So, you come to show me a system that other civilizations will crave for?
William: Not exactly, the people of those civilizations without this system will beg and even revolt for them to have the system.
Achcauhtli II: Please, show me this system.
William: I have written a constitution for a system I call emancipation.
Achcauhtli II: Emancipation?
William: Yes, the abolition of slavery, serfdom, and Cast Systems.
Achcauhtli II: So how does it wok?
William: More rights for workers, more decisions for them, better salary...
Achcauhtli II: But what will it do for he nation?
William: It wll increase the size of cottage, villages, towns. But it will give people happiness. Its for th best of the people.
Achcauhtli II: I will have to think about it.
William: Please, carefully think of the people, would you like t be a servant?
(William leaves)

In 1736, Achcauhtli II accepted William's ideas and changed the labor system.
The following are conversations between Achcauhtli II and Kublai Khan:

Trades with Mongolia and Greece

Geographer: Sir, the map you ordered is almost finished, I guarantee in 10 years we will have it ready.
Achcauhtli II: 10 years! Why so long!
Geographer: Because we are discovering islands west of Xochicalco.
Achcauhtli II: Well, I hope I am still alive for that time.
Messenger: Sir, Kublai Khan is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: He hasn't come in a long time, let him in.
Kublai Khan: Hello, Achcauhtli II, long time since my last visit.
Achcauhtli II: What has finally brought you here?
Kublai Khan: Your sugar of course, we just can't have enough of it.
Achcauhtli II: Ah, of course.
Kublai Khan: How about I give you crabs for some sugar?
Achcauhtli II: Sounds like a deal. So, how has it been going over in Mongolia?
Kublai Khan: Very good, everything is good.
Achcauhtli II: I heard about those protection plans.
Kublai Khan: Oh yeah, I can't discuss that very much, but we are starting to protect each other.
Achcauhtli II: How ae Alexander and Elizabeth?
Kublai Khan: They still hate each other. I don't know how they have avoided war between each other.
Achcauhtli II: That is incredible.
Kublai Khan: Well,I have to go.
Achcauhtli II: Ok, enjoy the sugar.
(Kublai Khan leaves)

Mesenger: Sir, Alexander is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: I know what he is probably here for, let him in.
Alexander: Hello Achcauhtli II, I have come to discuss something very important. You must cancel your trades wit England. They are our worst enemies and if you want Greece on your side, stop trading with England.
Achcauhtli II: Let me think about it. Mesenger, call Ollin.
(after some time, Ollin enters)
(private from Alexander)
Achcauhtli II: How powerful is Alexander?
Ollin: Very, he is probably the biggest military might in the world.
Achcauhtli II: And England?
Ollin: Weak, compared to you and Alexander.
Achcauhtli II: Is it safe to cancel our deals with England?
Ollin: Yes
(Achcauhtli II comes to Alexander)
Achcauhtli II: Alexander, you got your wish. The English don't have your support anymore.
Alexander: Thank you.
(Alexander leaves)

Wow, everyone's picking on you. Might be a sign you need to beef up your military--that might make the AIs less demanding

Wow, everyone's picking on you. Might be a sign you need to beef up your military--that might make the AIs less demanding

I have been building an invasion force, so that is increasing my military strength, but I feel I am a bit weak compared to most civilizations (Arabia, Greece, and Mongolia mostly). I probably need to beef my military more as you said. Thanks for the advice.

Ispaca and the Printing Press

The following is a conversation between Ispaca, Huayna Capac's son, who is the emperor of the Incan empire (as said in post 10 and 11) and Achcauhtli II.

Messenger: Sir, Ispaca is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: Ah, our friends the Incas finally come, let him in.
Ispaca: Hello Achcauhtli II, how is it going?
Achcauhtli II: Very good, We are preparing to invade France. What brings you over here?
Ispaca: I would like to trade. I want your military tradition.
Achcauhtli II: I can give it to you if you give me the printing press.
Ispaca: Then I want 100 gold with the military tradition.
Achcauhtli II: Ok, its a deal.
Ispaca: Thank you.
Achcauhtli II: Before you go, what do you think about Napoleon?
Ispaca: He is a very good friend
Achcauhtli II: Ok, nevermind. Farewell.
(Ispaca leaves)
Ollin: Did you ask him?
Achcauhtli II: No, he is friends with Napoleon, he wouldn't betray his friend.
Ollin: Then we must ask others, if we have more people against him it will be easier to finish him.
(Ollin leaves)

The Newspaper

Thanks to the new printing press, newspapers started to circulate through the empire. The following is a newspaper from Xochicalco.

FOUNDINGS OF VERACRUZ GALLEON
As you know, Veracruz has been sailing and discovering islands and seas. Today the galleon came back with new findings. There is more city competition through these islands. There is an Incan city named Vitcos north of Xochicalco, on another island. North of Vitcos, and Arabian city named Fustat was found. The Incas have two cities. So do the Arabians, but we only have one. If we don't colonize in time, we will loose these lands.

MILITARY IMPROVEMENT
The Avatar Division of Elephants has been with Xochicalco since the beginning of the city. It has learned to fight gunpowder, and now hey have become gunpowder units. The divsion has been upgraded to cavalry. These units are faster, stronger and modern. It is about time they were upgraded, since other units had lready been upgraded.
Our naval units received a new ship. The galleon Acapulco has been built to fight in the Tlaloc Straight against the French.

MONARCH DAY
We have been enjoying a period of "peace", abundance of resources and money; and happiness. People are celebrating all of our past monarchs, including Achcauhtli II for what they have done. The parties started in Tenochtilan, and have spread to the rest of the nation. The parties have been a time to relax and enjoy all that we have. Enjoy them and hope this period never ends.

FREE MARKET
A new idea has gone around the merchant community. Economics is being learned, and it has made the government adopt the Free Market system. The government has less control in the market, and this has increased commerce everywhere. "Thanks to the new system, I can trade gold to more places and gain more money" says a local merchant. This increased our income, which now surpasses 80 gold pieces! This has never been recorded in Aztec history. Enjoy these times, for it might never occur again.

Mobilization of Troops

The followig is from Ehecatl's journal, who is in the Afar Cavalry Division (met in post 22)

We are finally going to become mobilized. Two ships have left today and are headed towards Katara. I would know since I am general of this division. I am onboard the Acapulco galleon, and my son, Matlal, is also here, in the Afar Cavalry Divison, just like me (thanks to military tradition). The Royal Cavalry Division and the First Catapult Division are also on board the same galleon. The othe galleon, the new Toph III, carries the First Musketman Division, Royal Maceguard Division and the Royal Catapult Guard. It might take a while for us to get there, but we are ready to take back Katara.

The following is from Atl's journal around the same time.

The days are getting colder and shorter. Everyday we get closer to our destiation, Katara. No Aztec has been there since probably 1330 AD. We are traveling on the new galleon Toph III, and our division, the Royal Catapult Guard, is eager to bombard the French. I haven't seen my dad, Cuetzpalli II, since he is in the First Musketman Division, and we are in different parts of the ship. We can see the French Coast everyday, and luckly, no French ship has seen us. I hope we don't encounter any enemy, since I fear the water, and I don't want the ship to sink.

We have arrived to French territory. We were disembarqued to a fort constructed a long time ago, west of Katara. All six divisions were garrisoned there, and we could see the city in the distance. The fort looked abandoned, with its wall filled wih cracks of about 400 years of fighting the weather. There is a lot of snow, and we are freezing, even with all our coats on. Soon, we will attack the city.

A French's Point of View

The following is a journal from a French sailor who fought against one of the most popular ships in the Aztec Nation.

Today we sailed, hunting for Aztec ships. We spent most of the day looking for a ship, until we finally found one. We found a caravel, a perfect prey for our much stronger galleon. As soon as we saw it, we sailed towards it. The enemy ship probably saw us,and started to prepare for the battle. Boom! The Aztec caravel fired at us, and barely did damage, no casualties fortunately. We got closer and fired our shots. Explosions roared through the other ship, sending wood pieces and people flying. I was on the deck when they shot at us. The front of our ship took most of the damage, and fellow sailors were killed in a second. I grabbed my musket and shot at an Aztec sailor on the caravel's deck. We shot again and this time, their mast collapsed. The passed us, but we followed until the carvel ran out of inersia. Then, it was like firing at a sitting duck. Few shots were fired at us, and we quickly detroyed it. Later, I found out we had sunk the Toph caravel, the oldest caravel of the Aztec.

The Toph II caravel was not in those waters at the time. It was exploring near the colony Calixtlahuaca.

A Trade

The following is a conversation between Kublai Khan and Achcauhtli II.

Messenger: Sir Kublai is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: Kublai Khan, I bet he is here for more sugar, let him in.
Kublai Khan: Hello Achcauhtli II, I come here in a bit of a hurry, may I interest you in a trade?
Achcauhtli II: Sure
Kublai Khan: I would like to have your printing press technology, and 300 gold. I would give you chemistry for it.
Achcauhtli II: Chemistry, sounds very scientific and helpful. I agree to your terms.
Kublai Khan: Thank you.
(Kublai leaves)

The Battle for Katara II

The Following is told from journals of Matlal, son of Ehecatl, and Atl, son of Cuetzpalli II. (Matlal from Afara Cavalry Division, Atl from Royal Guard Division)

Atl jounal:
We left the fort in the morning, and we marched throuh th snow towards the city. We marched very little, and when we were at the edge of the city we stopped. There was an eery silence, and the city looked deserted. Then I saw some soldier running iside the city. Suddenly, someon shouted "prepare the catapults" and we prepared them.

Matlal Journal
I was behind the First Musketman Division, whe were behind the catapults. The catapult started to fire, nd we knew the battle had began. Rocks flew very high and disappearde behind the city buildings. Then came lodthuds of the rocks impact. Smoke starte to come out of the cit. The ctapults bombarded for aboput ten minutes, then, e wereordered to advnce.The First Musketman Division was infront of us, and was the first to enter the city. As soon as it entered, they were attaked by Macemen. One after the other they fell from terrble blos from maces. Then arrows started to fly by. Longbowmen, some on buildings, most on the ground. I took my rifle and shot many of them down. I looked around and saw many of them doing the same. Then I saw my father ordering us to keep moving, when an arrow flew by... going straight through him. I was enraged, and charged at the longbwmen like a madman, killing all that I saw. I shot at them first, and then I took out my sword. After a while I took cover behind a building, for I saw pikemen coming, and the Royal Cavalry Division heading straight for them. They were going to get killed, and I tried to warn them. The firts lines fell at contact, and then shots killed some pikemen. Soon the avalry realized the were going to get killed, and startd to withdraw. I ran back with them. As I wthdrew, I looked for the First Musketman Division, but I couldn't see any Musketman. I reunited with my division, and we killed the longbowmen there. Then came the Royal Maceguard, running from Longbowmen. We started to shoot back ad give cvering fire to the macemen, but it was no use. Most of them had already died. Then we heard the retreat orders. We hadn' secured the city, so we had to retreat.

Atl's journal
I saw our forces retreat, and that was not a good sign. From the aprox. 4300 men, less then half were alive. I looked to see if my father had survived, but I could see no musketman. I didn't want to believe he was dead, untilI hear the casulaties list at the fort. At the fort, I found outthe Royal Maceguard had been massacred, the First Musketman Division massacred, only 500 men srvived from the Royal Cavalry Division, since they withdrew. Out of the six divisions, only four had survived, and two of those surviving divisions were catapult divisions (me included). The battle had taken my father, and some told me macemen did it. I will get revenge.

The Battle for Katara would convert to the Siege for Katara, for the city was not taken in that year.

Atl journal:
Today we have bombarded the city of Katara again. I can't believe we haven't been attacked. We will bombard the city almost everyday. A new invention has arrived. Replaceable parts have made life easier, specially with rifles. Our catapults can have replaceable parts too, since sometimes they get broken, and now it will be easier to fix. My son has come as a replacement, along with other new troops. He is in the same division as me, Royal Catapult Guard. His name is Amoxtli. I am worried he will get killed, just like my father. I hope he is lucky and skilled enough to survive.

Mao and the Future Emperor

The following is a conversation between Mao Zedong and Achcauhtli II.

Achcauhtli II: I am very old, and I might soon die. When I do, you will become emperor, son.
Namacuix: Don't say that Father, you might live long enough to see Katara conquered.
Achcauhtli II: But f I don't I wan everything to be prepared and in order. Promise me you will end the war with Napoleon.
Namacuix: I will try.
Messenger: Sir, Mao Zedong is here to see you.
Achcauhtli II: Perfect, Namacuix, watch how diplomacy is done.
(Mao Zedong enters)
Mao Zedong: Hello Achcauhtli II.
Achcauhtli II: Hello, have you met my son, Namacuix, he will soon become emperor.
Namacuix: Nice to meet you Mao Zedong.
Mao Zedong: Nice to meet you too, it is an honor to meet a future emperor.
Achcauhtli II: So, what brings you here? A trade perhaps?
Mao Zedong: Of course, I wanted to trade my corporation ideas for your military tradition.
Achcauhtli II: A nice deal, I'll agree to that.
Mao Zedong: Perfect, I will go now.
(Mao leaves)

Achcauhtli II Dies

The following is a speech from Namacuix.

My father was a great ruler and person. He changed may things during his government. The first gunpowder units were created in your lifetime, our military tradition became official. Knights were upgraded to the better Cavalryunits. Emancipation and free market were adopted, changing our laboral and economic systems. We obtained many tehnologies, like the printing press, chemistry, and education. You improved our economy greatly, and mde the nation rich. You sent the invasion force, but unfortunatly, you couldn't see Katara back in your hands. I promise I will take Katara, and end the war with France.

Achcauhtli II died and his son Namacuix became emperor at age of 40.

Galleon Acapulco's Journey

The following is from Tlanextic's journal, who is captain of the Acapulco Galleon.

We have been sailing back from Katara, ater leaving some reinforcements. As we were approaching the Tlaloc Straight, we entred a dense fog bank. We lowered our speed, in case we were to hit the smal isand between the straight. Complete silence was rdered, so e could hear water moving as a sign of enemy or obstacle.I was getting ervous, since the fog was not clearing, Suddenly I heard the flaps of sails and flags, and head water splashes to the right of the ship. I orderd to prepare the cannons as silent as I could, and then I heard whistling. I knew the other ship had fund us, so I ordered quickly to fire, and boom! our shots hit the ship, and we realized it was a French caravel and that it was really close to us. Boom! another round was shot by us, and the mast of the enemy fell. Then we got fired, but it barely did a scratch. We fired, and sank the French caravel. That had been a close one. After some hours, we finally left the fog bank. What a relief.

Top Bottom