World History Mod development thread

Randoms about Scandinavia:

1) Norway, Denmark and Sweden should be united from 1400 to 1500 as the Kalmar Union. This should be choosable for Denmark to do or not to do. If not done, we will follow Timeline Y below the numbers.

Timeline X

2) Between 1500 and 1550 there should be several revolts in Sweden wanting Sweden to be independent. If this succeeds, Sweden is created as a nation, and the Kalmar Union is named Denmark-Norway instead.
3) a) If Sweden becomes independent: Denmark-Norway should be a nation until the Napoleonic wars. If Sweden is the victor over Denmark-Norway, they should get Norway. If they lose, Denmark-Norway gets Northern Sweden or Finland and is renamed [Scandia/Scandinavian Union/Scandinavland/Dansk Imperium]. b) If Sweden does not become independent: If the Kalmar Union is a victor of the Napoleonic Wars (They'll join on France's side), they get parts of Russia. If they lose, the Kalmar Union is split into Denmark, Norway and Sweden (Sweden owning Finland).
4) WWI and WWII terms are difficult to imagine as it is.

Timeline Y - not so accurate, very loose

2) Between 1500 and 1600 there should be some minor revolts in Scania (Skåne), wanting the area to become Swedish. They should of course be very easy to surpress.
3) Sweden has a hard time becoming a Great Power, as the Russian states want Finland. In 1600, some random events should happen, giving them a boost and making Sweden able to compete on a worldwide scale. A Swedish-Russian war should happen in about 1530. If Russia wins, they should get the whole of Sweden, or if they win at a smaller scale, only Finland will be recieved by Russia. If Russia loses, Sweden will get some money. Russia will probably conquer them before Sweden becomes even able of coughing troops. If this happens, both Norway and Denmark looks at Russia as a fierce enemy (Historically Denmark and Russia was good friends).
4) Norway becomes an ally of Denmark or Sweden in about 1600, it depends on who's the stronger. Of course, if Sweden becomes conquered by Russia, they will ally with Denmark... They are very weak though - The black death was harsh for Norway in the medieval ages. This is also the reason why Norway was so easily annexed by Denmark [/random]
5) Russia will make Sweden very, very rich if they succeeded in conquering the nation in the war in 1530. If only Finland was conquered, the Finnish areas will become rich.
6) If Sweden is annexed by Russia, they will revolt in about 1700, emerging as a great power with help of the enrichening events nr 5. If Finland is property of Russia, they will revolt and become a very centralized and powerful state.
7) Denmark and Norway will be as neutral as possible in the Napoleonic wars. If Finland is present, they will help significantly on the Napoleonic side against Russia. If Sweden is present as a great power, they will lose significantly against Russia if participating on their side. If Sweden remains neutral, they will probably found some colonies or something.
7a) If Finland victors in the Napoleonic Wars, they will become very powerful, getting areas in Russia. A random event should let them vassalize a poor Norway Sweden and Denmark in about 1830. Especially Sweden should be easily integrated into Finland.
8) If Finland is a Great Power unifying Scandinavia, they will decline in about 1870. Danish, Swedish, Gotlandish, Lapp, Jute, Scanian and Norwegian revolts will happen in 1910 or such, making them unable to participate in WWI. This will make a Yugoslavia-situation up there.
9) If Scandinavian Yugoslavia happens, there will be much turmoil in about 1950, making USA and Russia wanting to participate in the Great Northern War of that timeline. Sweden, Lappland and Finland should have a good chance becoming communist, whilst Jutland and Denmark fights amongst each other as monarchies and Norway becomes a liberal nation, kind of a vassal of the US as Denmark is today (We're really buttkissing the Unites States here in Denmark).

lol I got myself carried a little away there :lol:

I've been busy, so I hadn't done any looking, but now that I think of it, you'll most likely find better Us. Anyways, Umozo, the swords produced in Benin were the curved single-edged swords (umozo) which is remembered in Benin tradition as one of the oldest of all fighting weapons. It was broadbladed and short, which was better for attack than defense. Benin warriors also used a type of spear (asoro) which ranked next to umozo as the chief weapon used in battle.

And the UP.
It is plausible to argue that since Benin warriors were successful in most of their campaigns, they and their commanders may have excelled in the strategy and tactics which were appropriate to the use of the locally produced weapons. The use of weapons alone was not the only factor which enhanced success in warfare. The overall strength of Benin was the result of the strength of its component parts which possessed armies that could be called upon to perform its tasks. Dutch sources have pointed out that the Oba (king) of Benin City could mobilize twenty thousand soldiers in a day, and raise an army of eighty thousand to one-hundred eighty thousand men. His authority stretches over many cities, towns, and villages. There is no King thereabouts who is in the possession of so many beautiful cities and towns, or is his equal

And as for the UB
The defensive fortification of Benin City, the capital, consisted of ramparts and moats, call 'iya', enclosing a 4000 square kilometer of community lands. In total, the Benin wall system encompasses over 10,000 kilometer of earth boundaries.
Advantageously situated, the moats were duged in such a manner that earthen banks provided outer walls that complemented deep ditches. According to Graham Connah, the ditch formed an integral part of the intended barrier but was also a quarry for the material to construct the wall or bank. The ramparts range in size from shallow traces to the immense 20-meter-high around Benin City. The Guinness Book of World Records describes the walls of Benin City as the world's second largest man-made structure after China's Great Wall, in terms of length, and the series of earthen ramparts as the most extensive earthwork in the world.

I thought i'd have a read of your first post, and it gave me an idea about boats. In real life, boats needed to stop in at ports fairly often, to get more food, fuel, whatever. In Civ, boats sail around without a care in the world. My idea is, a system where boats lose a (relatively, say 1 point) large amount of health for every end-of-turn they aren't in a city/your cultural borders. If at the end of turn they end up on a random coast, the loss would be lessened. Boats can only regain health in a friendly harbour. whatcha think?

To expand on that idea, a lot of coastal cities depend on this shipping traffic for livelihood. Maybe you could work out a system where cities gain gold as ships visit them. This way you could have changes in trade routes and rise and decline of commercial cities.

@Grishnash- thanks
@lord_joakim- thanks, im a little more knowledgeful of the history of Scandinavia now (without having had to read anywhere else) :) I'll incorporate what I can, but I'm sorry to say it's a ways away...

@moopoo... stop stealing ideas from Europa Universalis :p Just kidding, but I am amazed by the amount of stuff I have found in that game which I'd like to carry over into this game.

@tailless- yes, though that would be some nifty coding... Though I hope I find a way to do this because it also means I could make the canal system I idealized in the map thread

Guys, I'm going to be in the map thread for another week, because I'm fitting a deadline for someone else's NA map; then I'll be back here and deliver any promised updates/answers/progress reports

Kevin

Having never played Europa Universalis, I'll take that as a compliment that I'm thinking of ideas in other good games, and not an accusation of Plagiarism :p :D

:bump:

I'll start work on Civilization Timelines, etc. It'll (hopefully) shift some research workload off your back.

Also, will there be a "City-States" system?
And finally, here's an idea I thought interesting:
No cities in the modern era have troops in them, unless they're occupied or its martial/police state law. Thus, every unit you build in a city will be "invisible". You promote it/move it, but if it stays in/moves to a city, then it will "disappear" into the city. When you need the troops, a button in the Military Advisor will let you "summon" these units. Thus, we simulate reserve troops. Active troops should be in Forts or just on the land. When the units are summoned, they reappear in the cities to be promoted, fortified, or whatever. During war, the "disappearing" thing goes away.

Edit: South America:

Spoiler :
Pre-Colombian South American Civilizations:
Musican Empire
Chibcha Empire (Panama, Colombia) (300 BCE -300 CE
Independent Amazonians
Chavin Empire (900-250 BCE)
Moche Empire (100 BCE-700 CE)
Nazca (400 BCE- 800 CE)/Incan Empire (1197-1533 CE)

Modern South American Civilizations:
Brazil
Peru
Venezuela
Argentina
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Bolivia
Suriname

:bump:

I'll start work on Civilization Timelines, etc. It'll (hopefully) shift some research workload off your back.

Also, will there be a "City-States" system?
And finally, here's an idea I thought interesting:
No cities in the modern era have troops in them, unless they're occupied or its martial/police state law. Thus, every unit you build in a city will be "invisible". You promote it/move it, but if it stays in/moves to a city, then it will "disappear" into the city. When you need the troops, a button in the Military Advisor will let you "summon" these units. Thus, we simulate reserve troops. Active troops should be in Forts or just on the land. When the units are summoned, they reappear in the cities to be promoted, fortified, or whatever. During war, the "disappearing" thing goes away.

City States is a wonderful idea. but how would you make it work?

@Gooblah: that would be wonderful, thank you... I'll see if I can put the timeframes next to the civ names on the first post when this is done

concerning citystates, ill have to second what lastone36 said

with the disappearing troops, i think that's a good idea, but i'd have to learn how to make working buttons first... im far from being an omnipotent modder...

And thank you for updating my SA civs for me :) I'll update the first-post-list shortly. I am especially glad you included the Amazonians.

@Kaochai: is that the modern civ (Phillipines), some older empire, or both? I know philippines will be a modern civ (God help the person who's computer gets to the modern era), but I'll admit I haven't really heard of or researched philippine civs yet (other than perhaps sumer). Should their be a non-modern empire here?

And sorry for the slow speed here- working on my last final project for school and again I am working largely in the map thread, as I am hurrying up and finishing the NA map that I agreed to make (for Shigg's scenario). It will be ready in a few days and should give anyone a taste of what my world map will be like... kind of.

Kevin

Re the disappearing troops, would the purpose just be visual, or gameplay as well?

Re the city-states, do you mean a civic, or alliances between different civs? If the latter, you could create that in a type of alliance, where perhaps the more cities you have going into the alliance, the less stability you have, or maybe just and increased maintenance cost for being in the alliance.

I just thought of something, You know when you have more then say... 27 civs in one game, and you've met all of them, and how the list of civs on the right goes of the screen?

There's no fix to that, so how are you going to do it in this mod?

I think the only solution is some hard modding to make the foreign advisor "clickable" to open up the diplomacy screen. That, or you could make a new advisor to replace the current diplomacy screen, and do all trade and stuff there. That would also be hard to mod in. Just some ideas though.

Probably both. I think it could be implemented like this (a tad easier-to-understand way):

1) Player enters Modern Era
2) Player builds Infantry in City A
3) Infantry Completed, Promoted
4a) Infantry moved outside of City A, to land around city (end)
4b) Infantry stays in City A, or is moved to City B (see step 5)
5) Player clicks "Reserve" Button (similar to Fortify)
6) Infantry graphics removed from city
7) Player wants to enter war
8) Player enters Military Advisor
9) Player clicks "Summon Reserve Units" Button
10) All Reserve Units summoned. One population lost in each city for every 3 units summoned.

If you lose one population for every 3 units, what benefit is there to putting them as reserve? you would need that negative, otherwise it would have no effect on gameplay, as you've written it there.

You're right.. Argh, I don't think it'll work then. Oh well.

I like that idea, snipper. what bonus would reserves give though?

My initial thought was a drop in unit upkeep costs. This would also work well in that various civics could affect the money bonus/food penalty.

Couldn't the bonus of reserves simply be the reduced upkeep cost (you'd probably have to increase upkeep costs significantly for that to be a good bonus though) and the penalty simply be that it takes them a while to get to full strength when called up? For example, the turn of calling up the reserves they are only at 25% hp, then 50% the following turn, 75% the next turn, then finally at 100% on the 4th turn.

Reserve Units couldn';t be seen by Espionage. This hides the true strength of your army from an enemy; it also provides new espionage missions like...

"Kidnap Military Advisor" refreshes their military on your MA screen

Reserve Units couldn';t be seen by Espionage. This hides the true strength of your army from an enemy; it also provides new espionage missions like...

"Kidnap Military Advisor" refreshes their military on your MA screen

It should work the other way. Reserve units should only be detectable through espionage.

Top Bottom