World War II in the Pacific

I love this mod/scenerio. I just wish the AI was better. When I have it on Admiral it is just too easy to invade America as Japan and when I am America Japan doesn't really expand past Wake or take most of the East Indies, even by 1944.

I hear you, but unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about the AI. The way to play is with human opponents!

There are a few people on here who have expressed interest in a play-by-email multiplayer game so we could always get one going if you are up to the challenge. :)

People who have expressed interest so far:

1. Cav Scout
2. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Well it can take a human Japanese player up to 2 hours to complete the first turn, so PBEM is the best way to play multiplayer. It generally works out to playing one turn per day during the week and a bunch over the weekend if everyone is available.

As a long time Civ player, modder, and reader of this forum, I have never felt the need to make a comment. However, after reading all the comments about the AI in this thread you should be informed that Admiral difficulty = Prince difficulty.

Play as the Japanese on Deity and it’s challenging, but winnable. The AI is still lead by mindless generals, but they will have over 60% more units + other bonuses, while you have about 40% less units to command. In its present configuration, playing the allies at a higher difficulty level will not increase the challenge very much because your allies also get all the AI bonuses too.

So Divine Wind, your basically saying in English, play on the hardest level as Japan? Glad you posted though you probably will never again after this.

gijas, Have you even read this thread???

The overwhelming opinion is
1) v3.19 World War in the Pacific is a great scenario
2) Its not very challenging because of the poor AI
3) And for some reason, very few are interested in multiplayer
So the only other options are to not play, or ramp up the difficulty. And it’s too good not to play..

I figured most people did not realize that Admiral difficulty was fairly easy. I mentioned Deity because I have only played this scenario on Deity or harder. If you choose to play it on Emperor, I guarantee SWAT will not bust your door down and haul you off to jail….

As a long time Civ player, modder, and reader of this forum, I have never felt the need to make a comment. However, after reading all the comments about the AI in this thread you should be informed that Admiral difficulty = Prince difficulty.

Play as the Japanese on Deity and it’s challenging, but winnable. The AI is still lead by mindless generals, but they will have over 60% more units + other bonuses, while you have about 40% less units to command. In its present configuration, playing the allies at a higher difficulty level will not increase the challenge very much because your allies also get all the AI bonuses too.

Yes, the reason is that it was designed for MP, so there wasn't a need for ultra high difficulty levels, which would only unbalance the scenario even more when your enemy is human. Plus, I wanted it to mirror the real war situation as closely as possible, and huge production bonuses defeat that purpose.

I had put a lot of free reinforcement events in the original Warlords scenario to make SP more challenging, but they always felt gamey and unrealistic, so I took them out.

Sadly, poor AI seems to be a problem for all Pacific scenarios... WWII in the Pacific for Civ 3 (which arguably had the best AI), Dale's Road to War, and even the Pacific Theatre of Hearts of Iron, a dedicated WWII game! I can't tell you how many times I've seen Japan take six months to invade the Philippines in that game. :crazyeye:

gijas, Have you even read this thread???

The overwhelming opinion is
1) v3.19 World War in the Pacific is a great scenario
2) Its not very challenging because of the poor AI
3) And for some reason, very few are interested in multiplayer
So the only other options are to not play, or ramp up the difficulty. And it’s too good not to play..

I think what you should do is start a recruiting thread in the Civ 4 MP forum and see how many people are interested. There are a lot who play PBEM but they probably don't visit this forum much because most mods break MP. You could always shoot Cav scout a PM.

This mod would be awesome if it was merged with parts of the 1939 mod scenerio, 1941 world conflict. That scenerio has awesome units, buildings, wonders, and good AI.

Which parts do you think could be added? That scenario is heavily focused on Europe, and I don't know if much could be borrowed, aside from art. A lot of it is just not relevant (or redundant).

the scenerio focused on 1941 includes the world and the pacific theatre. There are some extra ones. Yeah, a lot of the units are redundant. Some are different such as Intermediate tanks/planes I believe. Also there is a submarine carrier. A bunch of ministry national wonders and a Shinto world wonder, sputnik, and tankograd that I don't believe are in your mod.

Your mod is fine how it is, just making some suggestions.

Trying to send me some fresh victims eh? :mwaha:

It's all part of my master plan to divert your attention while I attack from Siberia. :mischief:

All kidding aside, a megathread in MP would probably be just the ticket to finding more players. People could ask without having to create a new thread each time or interrupting games in progress.

the scenerio focused on 1941 includes the world and the pacific theatre. There are some extra ones. Yeah, a lot of the units are redundant. Some are different such as Intermediate tanks/planes I believe. Also there is a submarine carrier. A bunch of ministry national wonders and a Shinto world wonder, sputnik, and tankograd that I don't believe are in your mod.

Your mod is fine how it is, just making some suggestions.

The submarine carrier (I-400) is actually in the next update I'm planning, although it probably won't be the most effective use of Japanese resources that late in the game. :D

Shinto is replaced by the Imperial Palace, and Tankograd is European-oriented. Sputnik is something that belongs in the 50's and would seem terribly out of place in the Pacific in 1945. Asioasioasio probably modeled it on Hearts of Iron, which goes to 1953/64.

There are several buildings from WW2 1939 I would like to add (rubber plants, oil refineries, and supply factories) but they would be redundant with the present corporation setup. I'm waiting on those until I can add the fuel system that I've been developing. :cool:

Hi Gaius, really enjoying your mod so far. Quick observation, I am playing as the US and am only on the 2nd turn ( I take a lot of time to go through all the cities and units) and I notices that when I sink some IJN cruisers with my Carrier based planes that they gain no XP. Is this normal or did I not do something right during installation. Wildcats, Devastators, Dauntless', Tomahawks, nothing gains XP when sinking enemy ships. I believe when a ship sinks a ship that it does receive XP. Or is the XP received so small for a plane that it just doesnt register. I know the planes I use are either Level 1 with no XP or they are level 2 with 2/5 or 3/5 but after sinking they stay the same. I would think sinking a ship would give a lot of XP to a squadron. Anything I can do to fix?

Also, I tried starting the game 3-4 times just to see and apparently each time the USS LEX gets sunk before I get to start. Talk about a tough start with one of my carriers already out of commission. Like I said am loving the mod, look fwd to future updates.

Also any help on the above would be real appreciated.

Also found a download for a Catalina graphic that you might find useful for entering into the mod. I dont exactly know how to replace the maritime patrol aircraft that you currently have but on a positive note at least I found something that might prove useful for your mod.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16145

I even found an F6F Fellcat folder in the mod you have but not sure how to get it enabled, is that not possible? Would be great to have.

Hi. Is it possible to detach the civ-specific great people from this scenario? That is my favorite mod.
Thanks a lot.

No, they're not in xml, they're in the python files. That's why I can't figure it out. Gaius' Civ-specific great people used to be available as a stand alone mod, now it is only available in this scenario.

@Brashin: Blame Dale for the no XP when sinking ships. :lol: It's part of DCM. I can put it on my to do list, but it will probably take a while.

The F6F graphic is actually what's used for the F4F, since they are similar looking planes. The reason for that is dutchking's original (and only) Wildcat skin is terrible. I tried grafting a new one onto it, but it seemed easier to use the Hellcat.

@J.Rowand: I wouldn't recommend using the great people from this mod. It has a lot of Python changes and includes only WWII names. Grave's History in the Making has a much better standalone version, but some of the names are haphazardly organized and coverage is poor, as they were in my original. That's actually why I quit working on it, it just took too much time to get proper lists for every civ.

Thank you Gaius! Huge fan by the way.
Any idea how to extract it from that mod. I don't mind going through the names if I could get the mod to work.

Top Bottom