justokre
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Bwahahahaha.

I like your moderating style, even though I would probably not DARE do the things you're pulling at the moment.
    Yeah, I do make that distinction a bit already (mountain vs. hill). What I was thinking is, instead of having a black pixel to stand in for the hills' shadows, maybe actually make a shadow with varying opacity. I think my only concern there would be if it made the converted .png filesize swell exponentially... Oh well.

I've actually gotten some crap in the past for only having two kinds of mountains; my philosophy is a) ancient peoples would have no way of knowing exact (or even approximate) elevation, and b) this way lets people invent their own stories about the local terrain, rather than putting all the creative control in my hands.
    I just figure out what climates and terrains should go where and then color in the map as necessary. *shrugs* It's only as scientific as my brain. The coastline I usually start by drawing the whole world "plan" in a little rectangle, blowing it up significantly, and then refining the coastline. Then I use GIMP, select color, select border, 2 px, fill with black. Go back and catch any of the little bits that didn't get selected for whatever reason.

It's not particularly scientific, but it's a hell of a lot better than 95% of the generated maps I've seen (which tend to produce horrible-looking terrain), and the other 5% loses because I get total control over my maps this way, and get to know them a lot better. ;)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom