Resource icon

Egyptian Middle Age Unit Pack (Fatimids) 2016-10-05

I must admit that I personal love the Fatimids, this rather short lived dynasty is a favorite of mine as it is one of the only notable horsehockyte dynasties of the middle ages. This dynasty originates from around modern Tunesia even though the dynasty claims that its linage dates back to Fatimah and is thus genetically related to the Prophet Muhammad. But this is controversial to say the least. Still, despite their Arabic dynastical claims, the Fatimids have historically had a strong Berber support. Most of the units can be used interchangeably with the Ayyubid pack, besides the Caliph Guard and the Sudanese guards of course. Green was the dynastic colors of the Fatimids, so this shows up a bit in some of the units.

Here is the list of units,

Fatimid Caliph Guard
Fatimid Cavalry
Fatimid Crossbowman
Fatimid Heavy Cavalry
Fatimid Berber Infantryman

Fatimid Ahdath Archer
Fatimid Ahdath Militiaman

The Ahdath units represent the Syrian militias/police/guards which fought against the early crusaders for the Fatimids. Could also be used for the Ayyubids as well.

Fatimid Sudanese Guardsman (Spearman)
Fatimid Sudanese Infantryman (Swordsman)

These units represent the Fatimid Sudanese units. The Fatimid dynasty was famous for employing Berbers and Sudanese. As I had already created a lot of traditional clothed Berbers, I instead focused on the Sudanese. Of course, it must be noted that the term Sudanese is not used here to refer to Sudan, the country, or the Sudan, the geographical area of Africa, but instead to generic black Africans. The word Sudan and Sudanese after all come from a Arabic term for black Africans. The term bilâd as-sûdân simply means, "Land of the Blacks". Thus the soldiers who make up this units could really come from anywhere, west African, east, south or wherever. These soldiers specifically are supposed to represent the al-haras al-Sudani, the elite slave soldiers of the Fatimids.

Fatimid Nubian Archer
Fatimid Nubian Spearman

The Nubian ones, by contrast, represent more locally employed black troops (both slave and free) from the more southern parts of Egypt and the Coptic Christian states of Nubia which generally had cordial relations with Fatimid Egypt. As the only Shiite dynasty around and a Caliphate in direct opposition to the Abbasids, they had little to choose from when it came to alliances. Saladin also employed Nubian Archers, so this is one unit that could be used with the Ayyubid units.

Fatimid Armenian Axeman (Pualician)

The Armenian Axeman represents a Paulician refugee in the empolyment of the Fatimids but could represent any other Armenian solider in Egypt. The Paulicians were a heretical Christain group who were Adoptionists and after harsh oppersion by the Byzantines many fled to Muslim lands and allied with them. Some of these refugees made it to Egypt as well. Of course it should be noted that the Fatimid employed a number of Armenians as well as other middle eastern Christians so this troop could be used to represent them as well. After Saladin came into power, some of these Armenians, possibly Fatimid loyalists, joined forces with the Nubians and attempted to lay siege to Aswan in both 1172 and 1173. The first time Saladin reinforced the region and they withdrew, the second attempt they were attacked and driven off.

Animation directions are inside of the zip.

Discussion Thread
  • fatimidpic0_SL9.jpg
    fatimidpic0_SL9.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 475
  • fatimidpic1_o3n.jpg
    fatimidpic1_o3n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 432
Author
Bakuel
Downloads
Views
First release