Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Changes to Spheres

• Asian Pacific
    • New: Can build Harbors that do not touch land at all. This Harbor is technically a special district. It has a few bonus abilities, such as +1 points per turn toward Great Generals.
    • Lowered number of tiles needed to trigger the free Gold from 3 to 2, because with the new ability set its much harder to grab ocean tiles without buying them outright. I think it strikes a good balance at present.
  • Asian Nomadic
    • Changed the requirement for the bonus on luxuries to cities that have all 3 types of Bedrock, rather than the Palace. This means you can also trigger it by building Encampments+ World Wonders + grabbing sea tiles or any other way that would get you all 3 types of Bedrock, if you don't want to move the full capital. I am mixed feelings about this, but it should be much more stable than before and provide basically the same experience.
    • In addition to above, the resources must actually have an Improvement on them (of any kind) to receive the bonus. No more huge bonuses to unimproved tiles at Turn 1.

General Changes
  • Capturing a city should no longer destroy buildings built in the City Center. This may make war mongering overpowered. However until Firaxis gives us better tools it's superior to writing Lua code to scan for buildings that shouldn't be destructible every turn and repairing them. If it is overpowered I could consider having buildings in other districts destroyed. Campuses and Theater districts seem like good contenders. Will evaluate.

Changes to Civs
  • Japan no longer receives points toward a Great General for each holy site, theater, or encampment. This would be overpowered given the new Harbor district also provides points toward GGs.
Changes to Biomes/Spheres

• Nomadic Asia - redesigned
    • NEW: Cannot build Government Plazas (or, by association, any of the government plaza buildings, nor access govt cards)
    • SAME: +1 production on flat tiles, -1 on hills (same as before)
    • NEW: You may now build a special project to migrate the capital to a new city. Doing this provides all 3 levels of bedrock and free walls in the new city.
    • NEW: +2 to the relevant yield of any Luxury in cities that are currently or were previously capital cities
    • REMOVED: The old penalty that eliminated points toward City State tokens has been removed, in favor of the Government Plaza malus
  • Asian Mainland
    • In the Modern era and later, now receive +1 Power per Governor promotion (so +6 in a city with a Governor with promotions)

Changes to Friendship Bonuses
  • Changed Persia's friend bonus to +2 gold from internal trade routes (changed from ability to construct Paraidazeas)

Changes to Civs

• Brazil's Brazilwood Camps now provide Culture based on tile appeal, instead of Gold
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug with the North Africa sphere that prevented trade route protection from functioning properly
  • Fixed (hopefully) some oddities in how the Bedrock system interacts with the new ability in Gathering Storm for some civs to move their capitals
I am beginning to feel comfortable enough in this to call it a Beta test, altho there are still some bugs. Mainly some visual issues with DLC civs and some snags with Lua scripts not running properly in Gathering Storm.

Sphere Changes

• Hellenic: The population cap for the number of districts built is now only lifted in the city with a government plaza, not also the capital.
  • Asian Pacific: Slightly upped the amount of Gold provided to a city that captures 3 ocean tiles (200, up from 150). Now also receive 200 gold if a city captures a Volcano tile. Re-added the Appeal from Volcanoes, since it now ties in better with the overall of this sphere.
  • North Africa:
    • The no-move-and-shoot rule no longer applies to Siege units for this sphere, just Ranged units and units with Ranged-like attacks (e.g. Persian Immortals). Does not apply to Anti Cavalry if the Ranged Anti Cav setting is turn on.
    • The list of units given to this civ is now locked to units available in the core game. If you want this sphere to have access to additional units from mods, you'll need to manually add them in MyScratchpad (ask me if you need tips on the code involved).

Bug Fixes

• Finally located and squashed a bug that caused non-Western Euro civs to sometimes have access to Medieval Bedrock in their cities (was due to a typo on how this ability was implemented and did nto affect all games

Civilization Changes

• Befriending Kupe/Maori now provides +3 Housing in the capital (changed from +1 production in every unimproved forest and rainforest)
  • Pericles no longer gets free eurekas if he is suzerain of a city state when an era change occurs
Reactions: RohirrimElf
I am beginning to feel comfortable enough in this to call it a Beta test, altho there are still some bugs. Mainly some visual issues with DLC civs and some snags with Lua scripts not running properly in Gathering Storm.

Sphere Changes
  • Hellenic: The population cap for the number of districts built is now only lifted in the city with a government plaza, not also the capital.
  • Asian Pacific: Slightly upped the amount of Gold provided to a city that captures 3 ocean tiles (200, up from 150). Now also receive 200 gold if a city captures a Volcano tile. Re-added the Appeal from Volcanoes, since it now ties in better with the overall of this sphere.
  • North Africa:
    • The no-move-and-shoot rule no longer applies to Siege units for this sphere, just Ranged units and units with Ranged-like attacks (e.g. Persian Immortals). Does not apply to Anti Cavalry if the Ranged Anti Cav setting is turn on.
    • The list of units given to this civ is now locked to units available in the core game. If you want this sphere to have access to additional units from mods, you'll need to manually add them in MyScratchpad (ask me if you need tips on the code involved).

Bug Fixes
  • Finally located and squashed a bug that caused non-Western Euro civs to sometimes have access to Medieval Bedrock in their cities (was due to a typo on how this ability was implemented and did nto affect all games

Civilization Changes
  • Befriending Kupe/Maori now provides +3 Housing in the capital (changed from +1 production in every unimproved forest and rainforest)
  • Pericles no longer gets free eurekas if he is suzerain of a city state when an era change occurs
This is a bug fix release.

• Fixed a bug that caused the mod to crash back to the main menu if the game was started without the Aztecs DLS enabled
  • Fixed a bug that caused the mod to crash back to the main menu if the game was started without the Nubia DLS enabled

Please continue to report bugs and issues along with comments.
This patch adds the North African sphere to the game.

North Africa
  • Egypt
  • Phoenicia

'Land units with Ranged attacks cannot fire after moving unless on horseback or unlocked by Renaissance or later era technologies. Land and sea trade routes are immune to plunder. Constructs most unique units available to Hellenic or Middle Eastern civilizations instead of standard units, but these borrowed-sphere units fight with -5 Strength.

No other changes have been made in this release.

Please share any issues/concerns/feedback.
This edition should be called the "tried it and failed" version based on the sheer number of abilities, tweaks, and changes I tried out that failed to make it into the final version due to some issue or other. In the end though I'm mostly happy with how this turned out.

Changes to Spheres
Again this time the changes are extreme enough that its easiest for me to just show screenshots. Three main spheres are affected. This took me roughly 12 hours of solid coding to test, fail, test,fail, and finally arrive at something. Though I admit I still don't like the Nordic malus that much.

Note that 2 spheres have been renamed based on feedback from geography experts:
  • Arabesque is now Middle East
  • Scandinavia is now Nordic

upload_2019-3-9_22-19-11.png

upload_2019-3-9_22-20-26.png

upload_2019-3-9_22-21-3.png

Other Changes
In general you will notice I have removed a number of changes that were part of the very early versions of this mod when it was intended as a game balance fix and not a sort-of expansion pack like it later became.

- Air units now once again require Aerodromes. This is to stave off the possibility of crashes in Rising Storm
- Musketmen now once again require Niter
- The Ranged Combat strength of Anti Cavalry when QUO_OPTION_ARE_ANTI_CAV_RANGED is set to is now equal to base Combat +5 (increased from +0)
- All code that was previously part of the Quo_Oceans_Code.sql file has been commented out since it is no longer needed as of RS. This eliminates all the city center bonuses to settling along a shore that were part of this mod 2 years ago when this was necessary to make coastal cities worthwhile
- Something I changed somewhere changed the willingness of barbarian spearmen to stab you on their turn even if they are wounded. Not sure what it was, but watch out :)

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug where Nubia did not receive the African districts as part of its sphere
- Fixed a bug where a fan-made mod civ were provided the ability to build Sphinxes as their friendship gift instead of +1 trade route as intended
- Fixed a bug that caused Russia to lose its bonuses on Tundra due to a conflict with old Biome
This is a balance and bug fix patch.

Changes to Biomes
  • New World: All units now disregard rivers and zone of control in their movement costs
  • Eastern Europe: Support units that have charges (e.g. Military Engineers) are no longer forbidden to this sphere
  • Arabesque:
    • Disaster-immune status is now conveyed by having a Holy Site within 8 tiles, rather than the city having a Temple
    • Lowered free housing from Water bonus from +3 to +2.
      • Remember that with housing from Water only the best bonus you have counts. Rivers/lakes provide +3 so this bonus has no effect on them. Ocean/seaside provides only +1 so this bonus will exceed that. Obviously same is true with no water source adjacent.
  • Mainland Asia:
    • Now earns 1 point toward a Great Engineer for every 7 population in cities, up to +3 per city, to make up for the lack of GEs from Industrial Zones
    • The ability to build Mines on tiles without hills no longer expires at a certain point in the game

Bug fixes
  • Fixed a bug where the old river tile bonus from the Arabesque sphere was still active despite being removed from game text
  • Fixed a bug where the God of the Forge belief didn't list its new +1 culture from tiles adjacent to volcanoes element
So, there's a lot in here. I had the day off and had my first chance to try to apply some of the new features from Gathering Storm.

In general, the theme of the changes is:
  • Try to make each sphere unique in disregarding or subverting rules, and/or packing some "what the heck was that" aspects that can appear suddenly on the game board to great effect
  • Cleaning up old code from the early days when the main function of this mod was just to fix Vanilla civ 6

I am a little short on time so forgive abbreviated descriptions below.

Changes to Biomes

For these it is easier for me to just post pictures of the new text.

upload_2019-3-4_23-53-0.png

upload_2019-3-4_23-53-25.png

upload_2019-3-4_23-54-22.png

upload_2019-3-4_23-55-22.png

upload_2019-3-4_23-53-55.png

Quick notes on other stuff. There's a lot. May have missed some things.

- Reintroduced the +1 culture to tiles adjacent to volcanoes bonus of God of the Forge pantheon removed in previous patch with corrections that should make it actually function
- Removed changes to Hanging Gardens world wonder. In general, this mod will no longer make edits to World Wonders.
- Restored the Zwiennder melee promotion, which increased Melee combat vs Anti Cavalry, back to defaults
- Removed bonus Science to Iron added in early patches. No longer needed as of GS
- Removed bonus science/food/culture on sea resources since Firaxis buffed these
- New World civilizations can now recruit Great Prophets again in order to prevent too-easy religious victories when multiple New World civs are in game
- Africa now can build any district that is African for a price 33% higher than a normal district
- Updated Hellenic sphere
- Asian pacific sphere no longer gets extra appeal from Volcanoes. Thematic as this is, the text was too wordy.
- Asian pacific sphere now earns 150 gold on earning 3 deep water ocean tiles (down from 250)
- Arabesque sphere redesigned
- Scandinavia sphere redesigned (still deciding about the Tundra/Desert tile thing)
- Removed radial fresh water housing effect from Roman Aqueducts
- Removed the "Mysterium" resource and associated effects for Scythia

Keep in mind this is an alpha release. I didn't get to test much of this as much as I'd like to. It's very hard for example to test natural disasters at this time.

I welcome feedback.

Happy Mardi Gras (you won't hear from me for the next 24 hours :) )
More bug/balance fixes.

• Removed bonus food to farms from aqueducts. They still provide points towards Great Engineers
  • -Removed volcano adjacency bonus for God of the Forge belief as this will require a big time investment I am not willing to make right now in order to fix
  • The Enable Free Placement of Wonders MyOption no longer applies to wonders that require a Harbor adjacency in order to prevent gamebreaking issues with boats/naval units
  • Fixed a bug with the Maori friendship gift that caused it not to function
  • The New World sphere now uses a more efficient mechanic introduced in Gathering Storm to power its culture bombs. Should hopefully operate the same as before. Altho I had discussed adding Farms as a culture bomb trigger for this sphere I have not done so yet. Waiting to see how this pans out first.
This is mostly another bug fix release to try to fix/balance things affected by Gathering Storm.

Policy Changes
- Removed changes to production Policies that made them retroactive since these were fixed by Firaxis in Gathering Storm

Civ Changes
- Removed the Sangha Monk (Khmer unique unit) from the game
- Khmer Prasat (unique building) no longer provides Medieval bedrock in a city (this takes a bit too much away from the Western Europe sphere)
- Mongolia no longer causes enemy cities to lose Loyalty per turn (moved to Mapuche)
- Mapuche no longer have +1 Vision
- Mapuche now cause enemies at war to lose 4 loyalty per turn in all cities
- Egyptian Sphinxes no longer provide +1 faith +1 culture to adjacent desert tiles (changed because Firaxis buffed this improvement)
- Jadwiga/Poland is now correctly a Eastern Europe sphere civ and not a Scandinavian civ on both the character select and in-game screens

Beliefs
- Fixed broken text field for Lady of reeds and marshes pantheon belief
- God of Forge belief now provides +1 culture on tiles adjacent to volcanoes

Spheres/Biomes
- Western Europe has been restored to its previous state from v7.0.4
- Loyalty penalty for Hellenic civs changed to -25% (up from10)

General Bug Fixes
- Hopefully fixed bug introduced in Gathering Storm where conquering a city that previously had Bedrock destroyed the Bedrock building and it couldn't be repaired
Fixed some bugs and added a couple of features to improve gameplay for GS.

Changes
  • Changes Western Europe for Gathering Storm.
    • Still has -1 production from forest/rainforest
    • New: Can no longer build Recon units
    • New: Units unlocked by techs prior to the Medieval period now have -1 Vision
    • New: Now receives +100% production toward Medieval Walls(in addition to existing ability to bypass the bedrock requirement for this style of wall)
    • Still receives a free promotion for units built from Medieval era onward
  • Changes to Asian Pacific
    • Volcanos now provide +3 Appeal
  • Friendship adjustments
    • Aztecs: Friends receive +2 combat strength (down from +4)
    • All civs that provide bonus to district construction: Lowered to +25% production (down from +50%)

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed assorted text strings broken by GS (probably more of this to come)
This release is intended to fix issues introduced in v7.0.6 and 7.0.7.

New Features
  • The friendship gifts introduced for new civilizations in the Gathering Storm expansion should now actually work
  • Friendship gifts are now listed on the character select screen (this was added in v7.0.6, but that release was pulled due to crashes to desktop)

Changes
  • Hungary's friendship gift is now "+5% production to districts." Changed from "+10% production to districts and buildings across a river from a city center." It seems that ability may not be reliable as a friendship gift and caused crashes to desktop, so it was changed.
  • Brazil's friendship gift is now "+50% production toward Entertainment Complexes." Changed because Pedro's original gift could conflict with other mods and get players stuck on the Great People screen due to the UI not being able to process multiple copies of the "refund upon purchasing or earning a great person" ability.

upload_2019-2-24_10-42-42.png

Please report any issues. A copy of Database.log is also helpful to post if you have crashes back to the main menu.
This is a reverstion back to v7.0.5 after running into game stopping bugs with v7.0.6 and 7.0.7. Neither of these versions contained major changes (just UI stuff) but this just goes to show how even small changes can cause things to crash and burn sometimes.
This release fixes a missing comma from v7.0.6 that made it unplayable.
Only change is to the UI (although this took a lot of time to implement).
  • Friendship gifts are now listed on the character select screen
upload_2019-2-23_18-6-17.png

I could probably do better to improve the icon. For now its just the war cart icon, since it kind of looked like a wheel barrow of someone wheeling a gift (I guess). May update it again later.
Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug in Victoria's text that claimed abilities that had been removed still worked
- Fixed a bug that prevented Scandinavian civs from being able to work Snow mountains

Changes to Civs
- Spain: Missions no longer can be built on Forest or Rainforest since this conflicts with the Western Europe sphere penalties
- Mapuche: Removed ability that revealed strategic resources (overpowered in GS)

Changes to Biomes/Spheres
- Native America: The Stealth ability gained in later eras no longer expires. This is to prevent issues with Stealth units remaining permanently stealthy even after the effect is removed.
- British Isles: No longer does each city cost 1 extra gold. Now suffers -5 combat penalty vs units that are wounded but fortified.
- Asian Expanse: No longer has range effectsor xp bonuses for siege units. Now can build mines on grass or plains without hills, as long as it done prior to the industrial era. Can no longer build Industrial Zones.
  • Fixed a bug in the Western Europe sphere that allowed all units (not just melee units) to receive free promotions after the Medieval era
  • Fixed a bug that broke Arabia's trade routes from Libraries/Shrines and removed it from Lighthouses
This release fixes a major bug in the British Isles sphere.
  • British Isles ranged units should now get +2 Range only during the Medieval and Rennaisance eras
  • This bonus no longer applies to units other than Ranged units (bow, crossbow, etc)
This release features mostly bug fixes.

• Fixed the bug that caused correct text not to show for some leaders until you started the game
  • Manually corrected some text in places where Firaxis has changed text strings (may not have caught them all yet,this will be an ongoing process)
  • Additions to Scandinavia sphere: May now build Dams and Canals after researching Shipbuilding
Top Bottom