How POWERFUL is you computer?

FriskyBuddha

Chieftain
So

Civ is a beast, everybody knows that. I thought it'd be interesting to find out what specs people are playing with

I have a
GE Force 7700 OC
a gig of DDR2 RAM
AMD Athalon X2 Dual Core 5700

i bought the new CPU to accomodate civ, AND its still not enough!!!

Anybody out there have a good set of hardware that works for giant maps and marathon games?

8800 GTS OC
2 Gig Hyperx
Intel Dual Core 6750 2.65 Ghz
etc etc... :)

I never tried huge with marathon but it works smooth on standard and standard speed... Also I play max AA with 1280x1024 high lvl terrain and every detail maxed...

P4 1.8GHz (No dual core & no hyperthreading)
768MB DDR (not DDR2)
ATI Radeon 9550

The game is bearable on Standard settings, though I wish it could be faster especially in the Late Game. My system can only use DDR not DDR2 RAM so there's not much I can improve on (DDR is way more expensive than DDR2 even though it's the older technology, not worth the money).

Not so good. It can play Civilization IV and that's pretty much all the good I can say about it. :lol: Not really well versed in technical specifications, but let's see what the specs are...

Intel Core2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.00 GB RAM
32-bit OS

Not sure how that holds up to the minimum system requirements, but it can't be far from them. I have to run in the lowest resolution possible, and since I have a widescreen monitor it means things get stretched. The game's performance varies a lot but often it'll start losing its frame rate in the medieval era and get worse and worse as time goes on. I don't play any maps bigger than large so turn time isn't too bad, but one time I played the Earth18 map and I got plenty of "meditation time".

If I play too long the compuer seems to start getting tired and worse and worse, expecially in the late game. Also after playing Civ4 my computer usually craps out on me and I got to restart it to get it working again.

But hey, I can play it! :mischief:

Athlon X2 5000+
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon X1950 Pro (512 MB version)

It can run standard and large maps fine, but huge maps slow down a bit in the mid-late industrial era, when unit stacks become much larger (I tend to play epic or normal speed though, so there are fewer units than on marathon). It's mainly slight pauses while the game loads leaderheads between turns and city screens, not particularly long ones, but they are noticeable. Civ4 uses a massive amount of memory, so I'd say that would probably be the most likely cause of your problems, but I may be wrong.

The graphics of civ4 sucks compared to other games released in 2005, and even with this in mind many computers still experience laggy framerates. It isnt always because your computer suck - its a combination of sucky computers and sucky programming by firaxis.

Firaxis focused too much on modability and multiplayer. They should have kept true to the series by putting singleplayer experience first and focus a lot more on AI and stability of the software...

Hmmm. I can run almost any map except huge without too much lag. Of course I have an engineering genius at home to tune my machines up. :)

Desktop:
Athlon XP 3200 2.2 GHz
2 GB Ram, 256 MB graphics card
XP

Laptop:
Athlon X2 something or other, 1.7 GHz
2 GB Ram, 128 MB graphics card
Vista 32 bit

Even though the laptop is a dual core, it is no faster than my desktop running civ, unless I use Ready-Boost. Then the lag between turns in the late game almost disappears.

Quad core QX6750 2,6Ghz
8800GTX
2 Gb memory
150 Gb Raptor + 2,5 Tb storage.
21" Samsung Syncmaster

I'm poor so my computer sucks, especially as the motherboard died a few months ago and I had to do some emergency rebuilding with the parts I had available. Still it runs civ ok, with only a bit of lag on the huge maps or when there's a really really big stack of units around. Multiplayer is laggy as hell but I can just about run a two player game with my bro. :p

Specs as follows.
AMD Athlon 3000+ 64bit. 2GHZ.
1.5GB of DDR RAM. I have another half gig stick somewhere but I suspect it's on its way out.
Radeon 9250 gfx card with 256MB onboard memory. Supposed to run at 8x AGP, actually runs at 2x despite my best efforts. Using Omega (3rd party) drivers because ATI just haven't got a clue how to make a graphics card that can handle video games.
Running 32 bit Windows XP Pro SP2. I used to have a really nice copy of WinXP Pro SP1 but the disc doesn't work anymore hence the downgrade to SP2, most annoying windows version ever. I've patched the TCPIP and turned off as much useless crap as possible so it's just about bearable.
One day I'll get a new computer but this had to be Frankensteined from hard to get old parts to maintain compatability with my ancient IDE hard drives. :p Thankfully I'm good at building computers out of cheese and string. Here's a picture of a working computer cobbled together at a friend's house out of spare parts. :p
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Charonicus/Image039.jpg
Yes, it was working whilst in that condition. ¬¬ We were swapping out parts constantly that's why its guts are all over the place.
Here are various parts. The laptop was dead, hence the experiment to try and build something that worked, so he could at least browse the net whilst waiting for his replacement.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Charonicus/Image040.jpg
:) Some of those bits had been laying around in a spare room for years. Fun! :D

I home built the following:

Quad Core Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz
4GB DDR2 OCZ PLatinum @ 1066
ATI HD4870 (Catalyst 8.10)
Windows Vista 32 Bit

I finally can play with max settings! :)

I'm poor so my computer sucks, especially as the motherboard died a few months ago and I had to do some emergency rebuilding with the parts I had available. Still it runs civ ok, with only a bit of lag on the huge maps or when there's a really really big stack of units around. Multiplayer is laggy as hell but I can just about run a two player game with my bro. :p

Specs as follows.
AMD Athlon 3000+ 64bit. 2GHZ.
1.5GB of DDR RAM. I have another half gig stick somewhere but I suspect it's on its way out.
Radeon 9250 gfx card with 256MB onboard memory. Supposed to run at 8x AGP, actually runs at 2x despite my best efforts. Using Omega (3rd party) drivers because ATI just haven't got a clue how to make a graphics card that can handle video games.
Running 32 bit Windows XP Pro SP2. I used to have a really nice copy of WinXP Pro SP1 but the disc doesn't work anymore hence the downgrade to SP2, most annoying windows version ever. I've patched the TCPIP and turned off as much useless crap as possible so it's just about bearable.
One day I'll get a new computer but this had to be Frankensteined from hard to get old parts to maintain compatability with my ancient IDE hard drives. :p Thankfully I'm good at building computers out of cheese and string. Here's a picture of a working computer cobbled together at a friend's house out of spare parts. :p
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Charonicus/Image039.jpg
Yes, it was working whilst in that condition. ¬¬ We were swapping out parts constantly that's why its guts are all over the place.
Here are various parts. The laptop was dead, hence the experiment to try and build something that worked, so he could at least browse the net whilst waiting for his replacement.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Charonicus/Image040.jpg
:) Some of those bits had been laying around in a spare room for years. Fun! :D

You guys sure love to spill the guts of those PCs :) Loved the second pic thou... hillarious :)

Oh yeah. Bustin' in this thread right hurr.

2.2ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor
1gb RAM
No video card.
Vista 32 bit =D

My computer is a beast... in that it doesn't burst into flames immediately upon starting this game(Oblivion too!)

Must be. I didn't buy one/install one at all when I got the machine, and hard drives have been my only upgrades.

Edit: checked with the guy who sold it to me. It's got a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE integrated graphics chip on the board.

Hah you all can't beat mine.

2.9 ghz pentium v
512 ram
geforce 6800 i think. It's been so long I've forgotten.

Standard maps run fine. I haven't attempted larger maps.

I play on EEE pc Asus, 10'' screen, lap top. You can all see how small is my machine, I tried large maps, and it was actually good:lol:

My computer is a POWERHOUSE BEAST (by 2004 standards... )

CPU: P4 Prescott (single core) 3.0GHz
Video (AGP): NVidia GeForce 6800GT w/256MB Memory
System Memory: 2GB of PC3200 DDR1

My computer is a POWERHOUSE BEAST (by 2004 standards... )

CPU: P4 Prescott (single core) 3.0GHz
Video (AGP): NVidia GeForce 6800GT w/256MB Memory
System Memory: 2GB of PC3200 DDR1

good to know im not alone;)

core 2 duo 2.4 ghz 6600, 4gb ram 8600gts nvida graphics.

Runs huge maps fine. need to try the Earth patch at some point. :)

CPU: C2D 2.66ghz (E6750)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC-8500 RAM
Video: 2 Nvidia Geforce 512MB 8800 GT's in SLI
22" Samsung LCD

Could probably use another 2GB RAM, but it runs Civ4 just fine on any map size. :)

After a few hours I reload the game to retain super-fast processing (I guess its clearing the cache?) but that takes 2 min and helps a ton. Anyone else do this? If not, give it a try after a couple of hours.

Top Bottom