Windows 10, Civ V crashing

jimc52

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I recently installed Windows 10 after checking with Civ V forums on line. Typical members who had beta tested Windows 10 said they were having no problems. After I got my computer up and running with the new operating system, I installed Steam and downloaded Civilization V to my new computer build. For about a month, I was playing the Civ V (in Steam) in Windows 10 flawlessly, everything going great. Suddenly, yesterday, and without any kind of warning or hint, Civ V starts to crash. There is no reason given for the crash, no fault or error code. The message box just pops up that says "Civilization V has stopped working. Checking for a fix. You will be notified." Those are not the exact words, but close enough. I have done all the typical stuff to try and trouble shoot it. Reboot the computer...I downloaded a beta edition of Steam to see if that would fix the problem, nope. I have a feeling that maybe it might be a corrupted file or some buried incompatibility that has finally bubbled to the surface in Windows 10. How is it, I could play this game for a whole month flawlessly, without a single error and then suddenly it is crashing??? Something has changed.
Oh yes, I have the latest NVidia graphics driver so that isn't the problem I assume. What do I do to fix this problem, it is the only game I play and its the ONLY REASON I rebuilt my computer. I am a very unhappy camper and going through Civ V withdrawl symptoms! This drives me crazy because I have a great hardware platform and plenty of everything needed...no lack there friends. The worst part of this problem is, I am not given a hint as to what is crashing CIV V! No error codes. What can I do now to fix this? Thanks everyone.

Computer Specs:

Windows 10
NVidia GeForce GTX 960 2 Gig OC (latest driver installed)
Intel I-7 4790 CPU
24 Gigs of DDR3 RAM
Asus Z97-Pro Gamer Mobo with ALL updated drivers, latest BIOS
2T Seagate Hardisk.

have you tried checkin to see if win 10 decided to run civ in compatibility mode? i had unexplained crashes when i tried to do that to fix my civ graphics issues. the game wouldnt run unless all the exe files (the launcher, the dx 9 and dx 11 ones) had same compatibility settings.
i am running it fine now with no compatibility needed, but if say only dx 11 version had compatibility set it would crash for no reason.

(my other problem was probably unrelated to your one since installing shadow of mordor which as part of process installed directx 11 which cured my graphics)

Top Bottom