Research study about players of Civilization Players - That's everyone in this forum!

tbok

Chieftain
Have you ever wonder whether the time spent on playing Civilization IV will give you an extra edge in the workplace?

My name is Thomas Bok and I am a huge fan of Civ 4. That is why I am conducting a research study "Personality of Civilization Players" for my Honours thesis at York University (Toronto, Canada). If you have any comments or questions about the research feel free to contact me at:

thomasbok@hotmail.com

If you would like a summary of the research findings write "results wanted" on the subject line.

The survey takes only 10 minutes and your response is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=a054fUvJMFlQAPD6gwnTTw_3d_3d

Dang, I'd love to take your survey tbok (I'm an huge fanatic of civ :D ), but of course I'm only a lowly 15 years old... 3 years until I can take it... sadly :cry: .

Thanks for your support..... do you know how to change the title (there is a typo)?

Hehe...I took it.

Is this a market research class? I had one for my grad program, and it wasn't exactly a cakewalk (scraped an A-).

I bet you'll find considerable disparity with personality and skill level. I doubt many players will be good without being either analytical or stubbornly persistent.

Thank you for your support TheMeInTeam.....
I love this game.... I think it really challenges our minds.... that's why I picked to do my research

funny questions :)

IMHO, some replies were missing, such as "situational" instead of non aggre nor disagree.
But i understand the necessity to limits choices.

Good luck with your study, let us know the result :)

Hey, tbok, do you think it would hurt your results if I took it? Cause I'm a real sucker for these things, plus I'd really love to help you out with your research project, since i believe that I am a valid member of the civ community :D. Oh, I heard you can change the title of your thread, go to the Civ4 General Discussions, and go to your thread, but don't click the blue link, click the box encircling it, which should enable you to edit you title :thumbsup:

I am refering to the survey question where you ask "which leader you play most often?" The leader list is incomplete; it appears your survey does not use any of the new leaders in "Beyond the Sword" which is the 2nd expansion of Civ IV. Yet, I am pretty sure you include the new leaders for "Warlords" the first expansion of Civ IV. Perhaps I am missing the reasoning for this.
Interesting idea this one of yours, I have played Civ from the beginning. I would like to see the results when they are compiled, please.:goodjob:

I am refering to the survey question where you ask "which leader you play most often?" The leader list is incomplete; it appears your survey does not use any of the new leaders in "Beyond the Sword" which is the 2nd expansion of Civ IV. Yet, I am pretty sure you include the new leaders for "Warlords" the first expansion of Civ IV. Perhaps I am missing the reasoning for this.

Plus I'm pretty sure it has Asoka of the Incans :p

On top of that, I always play on random leaders, so I couldn't really answer that question. I just picked an arbitrary leader. Can't rememebr who it was.

You are missing the Beyond the Sword leaders. I would have just selected random as the next most played, but that's not an option!!!

Oh, and also you're not taking into account mods, especially popular ones like RevolutionDCM or FFH.

Edit: I'm giving up on your survey after this question:

I don't like it when I find myself manipulating people.
I find it easy to manipulate people.

These are not mutally exclusive options. I was an expert canvaser, raised more ina week then most people could in a month. To be honest I find it easy to manipulate people, but I don't like it either, it makes me feel dirty (why I am no longer canvasing). So how am I supposed to answer this?

Where was random as a leader choice?

By the way, what sort of pre-research did you do to formulate the questions for this research project? What is the scope of what you're trying to find out?

Edit: Not sure what you're trying to achieve with the forced-choices between two alternates...it must be some form of personality thing but still. Also, don't demographic questions usually go at the end of surveys?

But most importantly I'm curious why you're focusing on the personality elements this test seems to be looking to detect. Was there a reason for these elements, or are they something you or your professor believes?

IMHO, some replies were missing, such as "situational" instead of non aggre nor disagree.
But i understand the necessity to limits choices.

Good luck with your study, let us know the result :)

Agreed. Though this is a common thought for me when answering questions with only a very limited number of answers to choose from.

I can tell you that time spent playing Civ 4 has detracted from my work experience. It is somewhat unhealthy to try and squeeze an epic game in every night, and get up in 4 hours to go to work.

Top Bottom