Technological Advance!

Argetnyx

Emperor
sometimes I get tired of just researching one technology at a time. Plus, how can you 'hurry' research? Some things take time to research, and if the people working on it are hurried, they may make mistakes, setting back whatever projekt they were working on.

Why not have many researchers working not on one thing at a time, but on many? You can still designate a protion of your income to reseatch, but the 'research points' produced are used by different projekts. You can decide how much 'RP's you want to use on each projekt, but with a maximum rate of progress on each projekt.

Camikaze is going to love this post.

Do you mean, like in the XCOM games?

This is a reasonable idea. I don't see why there would be any specific problems with it. It may represent a loss on your behalf though, given that you can only trade for entirely completed technologies, and not just partially completed ones. You would be stuck with no tradable technologies, just a whole bunch of partially completed techs. Same with buildings, units and wonders. You would be stuck not being able to build any because you only have partially completed techs. So even if this were to be implemented, researching one tech at a time would still be the best thing to do. So I don't really see a problem with it. If you want to do that, sure. Your loss, but your choice.

It may represent a loss on your behalf though, given that you can only trade for entirely completed technologies, and not just partially completed ones.
AHA! But you can 'license produce' something from a certain tech that you don't have, but another civ does. This will increase your experience in the tech, and make researching faster.

sometimes I get tired of just researching one technology at a time. Plus, how can you 'hurry' research? Some things take time to research, and if the people working on it are hurried, they may make mistakes, setting back whatever projekt they were working on.

Why not have many researchers working not on one thing at a time, but on many? You can still designate a protion of your income to reseatch, but the 'research points' produced are used by different projekts. You can decide how much 'RP's you want to use on each projekt, but with a maximum rate of progress on each projekt.

I like the idea, but i think there should be primary research (the normal stuff) and then secondary research for some of the smaller research projects or something else, i'm not shure what.

AHA! But you can 'license produce' something from a certain tech that you don't have, but another civ does. This will increase your experience in the tech, and make researching faster.

I don't quite follow you here...

Are you suggesting that you could basically call dibs on techs without actually fully discovering them?

I asume that Argetnyx means that you half buy a tech!
Could work
------
How about for complementary techs you get a saving if you research at the same time - say 10 to 20%

So you could chose to advance faster broadly but have to wait longer for the benefits or advance with one tech to get something first.

It would also make it easier for backward civs to catch up

I asume that Argetnyx means that you half buy a tech!
Could work
------
How about for complementary techs you get a saving if you research at the same time - say 10 to 20%

So you could chose to advance faster broadly but have to wait longer for the benefits or advance with one tech to get something first.

It would also make it easier for backward civs to catch up

Exactly

Techs would have to be very expensive, so half buying would not really make up for the loss incurred by researching more than one at once, as you could really only afford to do it once or twice.

This is a very good idea, research point kinda being like espionage points in the final frontier scenario.

Why would techs have to be more expensive than now

There are two seperate things

1 - Trading for part of a tech.
You can already get part of a tech vis great person
So what would the differance to buy or sell half a tech rather than whole tech

Its just a matter if the increase in the enjoyment is worth the extra code.

I think that you should only be allowed to trade completed techs.

2 - Researching two (or more techs) at once if desired
This would allow quicker overall progress but would be balanced by having to wait longer for the benefit of each tech

I'm not saying trading half a tech. I'm saying trading the ability to build something that requires a certain tech. Building that thing gives you 'experience' and allows the required tech to be researched faster.

You would have to put a value on everything and its research experiance value.

Say tech a costs 1000 research and gives you one building, one unit, one wonder and one improvement.

How would you value each part.
500 gold each then you get 250 research experiance from having so many (5) of the buidling, or say (10) units, or say (20) improvements or the wonder.

it would give you lots of mini projects which would be interesting but could be complicated

you could always change the funding around on the fly, or even just start out researching one thing at a time and then switching to more than one once you decide you've gotten enough earlier techs. and since the computer will also be able to have multiple research projects, chances are that you would get a decent head start anyway.

They wouldn't have to be. I'm talking in terms of gold, and in terms of gold, techs are expensive now (in diplomacy, and I assume we'd use the same pay scale, to avoid exploits). I mean, you need thousands of gold to pay for later game techs, which, whilst possibly affordable, are not something that you can go and buy every couple of turns.

Techs would have to be very expensive, so half buying would not really make up for the loss incurred by researching more than one at once, as you could really only afford to do it once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian

They wouldn't have to be. I'm talking in terms of gold, and in terms of gold, techs are expensive now (in diplomacy, and I assume we'd use the same pay scale, to avoid exploits). I mean, you need thousands of gold to pay for later game techs, which, whilst possibly affordable, are not something that you can go and buy every couple of turns

So it is agreed that buying half a tech would not have to be more expensive now pro rata. I assume that there would be some penalty say to buy 50% would cost 55%. Since the researchers would not have the benefit of the prevoius research effort.

The added cost of all the buyable capabilities of other techs should be higher than the cost of researching or trading the entire tech.

I like the idea. The reality is that more than one thing is being worked on at a time. So, when you have the pre-requisites for more than one thing on the tech tree, you should be able to work on them both. The process could be sped up by having certain buildings contribute to learning. For instance, what if there was a "Jet Propulsion Lab" national wonder, and after building that, all flight and space related techs came a little easier.

Top Bottom