[1.0.3.31] Faith purchase bug

Indeed it appears (at least in the case of the Mali ability) to be thing of continuing an existing save - I did quick a test with fresh game and here you can faith-buy in the Suguba as usual (just grayed out here because of lacking the faith - but the option appears compared to my continued save, where the Bank is just not displayed as purchase option):

That’s a relief! Frustrating, I’m sure, but I’ve long since assumed every update would break my saves, so I always start new games after a patch.

Hey everybody, thank you for this report! This issue appears to affect only saves or in-progress games started before the update, and Faith purchasing works properly in new games. We're sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience.

We do have a way for you to continue your in-progress games from before the update. If you wish to do this, right click on Sid Meier's Civilization VI in your Steam library, then select Properties. In the window that appears, navigate to the Betas tab and enter the code ineedlegacyaccess into the text box. This will unlock a Legacy beta branch, which you can then select from the dropdown. You are able to finish your games there. Make sure to turn this beta branch off when starting a new game!

Last edited:
From the feedback I see on steam, it indeed looks it concerns only games started before the update. Has anyone an idea how to fix the save game, possibly by editing something in the save file?

For long multiplayer games, play-by-cloud, or worse, pbem as in my case, that is still a game breaker. I certainly will not force myself to complete all my games just before every update in case they break something. I still hope they will fix it, if anything just out of respect for their long-term players.

I am in for yet another bug report to 2K customer service, but that's the third time in one month, which begins to serisouly annoy me, considering that the last two attempts were useless.

Hey everybody, thank you for this report! This issue appears to affect only saves or in-progress games started before the update, and Faith purchasing works properly in new games. We're sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your message. I am happy to see someone from the studio giving feedback on this. Is there any hope to fix it on the short term before the next update (possibly by a hotfix?). Lots of us play long multiplayer games, and to be honest, a bug like this is unfortunately not an incentive to purchase the recent updates. And that comes from someone who bought almost all of them since Call to Power.

Will there be any way to restore function to the games?

I tried swapping government off theocracy and back, but that did not affect it.

I did settle a new city and that single location appears able to faith purchase units. Perhaps the issue lies in coding for the towns then?

You can restore function to both your single player and multiplayer games by using that Legacy branch. Happy gaming!

You can restore function to both your single player and multiplayer games by using that Legacy branch. Happy gaming!
That's very helpful. And after using this how do we turn the legacy branch off? (Haven't tested in Steam, is it obvious?)

That's very helpful. And after using this how do we turn the legacy branch off? (Haven't tested in Steam, is it obvious?)

Above the field where you enter the beta-code is a button "opt out of all betas":

BetaOptOut.jpg

EDIT: Realized a moment too late that you are probably not using Steam. Sorry :( Leaving this anyway in case it helps someone else.

Hi, and thanks for acknowledging the bug and for the workaround. It seems to work, at least for me, I'll see with my friends later. We only had to roll back one turn, because the latest turn we played was saved with the update, and the legacy game won't load it. But that's not a big deal if we can continue playing :). How long is the legacy beta stay available on steam? I am asking because we might need it for quite a while. We are only turn 150 on a pbem game.

Question to all others: do you know if the bug affect naturalists and rock bands? I presume not since they are sort of "religious" units, but I'd like to be sure. At some point, if nobody needs to purchase buildings or civil units with faith, we'll move back to the latest game version, but I don't want us to realize that we can't buy naturalists or rock bands 100 turns too late...

Pretty new to Civ6,only got it from steam with the summer sale as new frontier with Aztec included.

Can you explain the legacy branch correction and how to do so?

BTW for Mac players, you find "Properties" here:

upload_2020-7-24_9-55-59.png

And apparently there's a 197.21 MB download if you choose to switch to legacy.

And the legacy branch revert 1.0.3.31 to 1.0.2.39. If you have a save that was saved by 1.0.3.31 then it cannot be loaded by the legacy branch. The "Load" button just gray out, due to version mismatch.

So it's not quite a fix for PBEM games, since others already saved it in 1.0.3.31 (unless we roll back a lot of turns). Can we expect a hotfix?

I'd really like to know if/when we can expect a hotfix for this. Legacy mode is not a fix for PBEM games. I have about a dozen games going on PlayYourDamnTurn and in most of them I rely on faith to buy units and certain buildings.

I've sunk months into these games and I am now looking a losing at least one of them because I can't buy units with faith now.

In my playtesting, this bug seems to ONLY affect cities that have a dominant religion (or perhaps cities founded before the patch? Not sure). But I was able to use Valetta's suzerainty bonus to faith buy monument/granary/walls in a new city in my longstanding game, in a new city that did not have a religion.

Obviously not very useful in a faith-based civ where you're likely spamming your religion everywhere, but there you go...

Horrible game-breaking bug. As others have said, I'll likely lose several games now because of this. :(

I'm just testing this with the September update, but it appears, the bug was still not fixed?

In the PBEM game that is suffering from the bug, it not only affects the Monumentality golden age, but also one of the beliefs of my religion: I had picked the belief that allows buying buildings in Campus and Theater districts with faith, and that is broken as well.
This game is still going to run for a couple of years, before it will be finished, so if we can't get a fix, I am not only looking at a wasted golden age (which is only temporary), but also at a wasted belief for the rest of the game...!

(Because of this we have currently paused the game -- since July... But the other players are now getting itchy and finally want to continue.)

PS: I tried the "ineedlegacyaccess" thing just now, but it does no longer work. Look like the current legacy version already contains the bug?

Last edited:
PS: I tried the "ineedlegacyaccess" thing just now, but it does no longer work. Look like the current legacy version already contains the bug?

Yes the bug was introduced in July, so when the August update is live, July version became the legacy version, so it doesn't work.

According to CPL modders, to fix it one only needs to change a few lines in the ProductionPanel.lua file. But apparently Firaxis doesn't care.

Meanwhile you can do faith purchase in newly settled or conquered cities.

Or you can give your city to others and ask them to return it, that will allow you to bypass this bug.

Top Bottom