1.000.000.000 computers sold

just to mix it up: i prefer 1'000'000'000,00 :D

Here it would be 1.000.000.000,00 (or you could drop the dots, too)

Some people incorrectly (the Finnish standard is for separating decimals is using comma) use the dot for the decimals, I guess that's mostly because they've used calculators at school and at work. Why on earth aren't calculators localised? They've never been.

KaeptnOvi's system is good, since you can't mistake the 's and ,s for each other.

Most people in the UK would write 1,000,000,000.00

Although we're meant to have changed to the metric system, many people still use imperial units though. Road signs are all in miles and yards etc. i personally prefer the metric system - it's easier to use. you are taught with metric units in school - which is probably why i prefer it. i don't have a clue how far 100 yards is, but i would have a pretty good idea of 100meters. many shops still sell items by the pound but they have to put the price/kg on aswell.

Now all we need is our American friends to switch to the sensible metric system and the world will be a slightly better place.

LONG LIVE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!

Originally posted by mchorlton
LONG LIVE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!!/B]

Yes indeed. Its logicality and uniformity are good reasons for using it. I guess it's one of the best things the French have ever invented!

I find it a bit funny that I know how long a yard is and a Briton doesn't ;) Isn't it like 0.91 metres or so...

While chatting with Americans about temperatures or distances etc. I often use this good metric-imperial converter: http://convert.french-property.co.uk/cgi-bin/convert.pl

It says one yard is precisely 0.9144 metres.

Top Bottom