(1-VT) Add unique names for Great Prophets

Status
Not open for further replies.

balparmak

Prince
Great Prophets are the only GP lacking unique names. It's not a big issue, but adding them would help with flavor & polishing. I searched the forum about this but couldn't really find a reason why they weren't added along with More GP modmod, I can't see any other reason than sensitivy to religious figures. If the community or developers don't veto it, I propose adding them through the integration of Tomatekh's Historical Great Prophet Names* mod, the list can be modified through the feedback of historically inclined populi. New GP names will be placed in the "modular elements" folder, allowing people to easily disable it if they are offended.
I sponsor this.

edit: I searched poorly, @Gazebo rejected this in 2015. Does the veto still hold, or should it go to the community vote?

*Tomatekh provides open permissions when credited.

Here's the list:
Spoiler Names :

Moses
Mahavira
Zoroaster
Ananda
Zhuang Zhou
Confucius
Mencius
Mo Di
John the Baptist
Simon Peter
Paul the Apostle
Akiva ben Joseph
Mani
Augustine of Hippo
Saint Patrick
Adi Shankara
Atisha
Thomas Aquinas
Bahá'u'lláh
Diviciacus
Tenskwatawa
Christian Rosenkreuz
Hermes Trismegistus
Maimonides
Gesar
Tsongkhapa
Marsilio Ficino
Isaac Luria
Gadadhar Chattopadhyay
Narayana Guru
Abraham Abulafia
Abu Bakr
Kobo-Daishi
Khidr
Moses de León
Nanak Dev
Pythagoras
Nostradamus
Lao Tzu
Isaiah
Elijah
Henry Cornelius Agrippa
Gautama Buddha
Muhammad
Jesus of Nazareth
Baal Shem Tov
Iamblichus
Aleister Crowley
Helena Blavatsky
Marie Laveau
Emanuel Swedenborg
Allan Kardec
Nakayama Miki
L. Ron Hubbard
Joseph Smith
Akhenaten
Grigori Rasputin
Himiko
Mary Baker Eddy
Martin Luther
John Calvin
Ezekiel
Arius
Choe Je-u
Báb
Wulfila
Charles Taze Russell
Sojourner Truth
John Dee
Pico della Mirandola
Jacob Boehme
Ali ibn Abi Talib
Al-Ghazali
Ibrahim ibn Adham
Motoori Norinaga
Orunmila
Handsome Lake
Tlacaelel
Teb Tengri Khokhcuu
Nagarjuna
Smohalla
Wovoka
Seraphim of Sarov
Margaret Fox
Deganawida
Cassandra
Vivekananda
Zhu Xi
Ellen G. White
Jiddu Krishnamurti
Angad Dev
Hildegard of Bingen
Yajnavalkya
Popé
Myrddin Wyllt
Quanah Parker
Julian the Theurgist
Apollonius of Tyana
Simon Magus
Sabbatai Zevi
Guan Yu
Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah
Sugawara no Michizane
Veleda
Danila Filippovich
Adapa
Orpheus
Guru Arjan
Gerald Gardner
Yoshikazu Okada
Har Gobind
Ani
Utuabzu
An-Enlilda
Rishabha
Hamza ibn 'Ali ibn Ahmad
Salih ibn Tarif
Bodhidharma
En no Gyoja
Kabir
Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Mazdak
Tonpa Shenrab
Sultan Sahak
John Wesley
Kriwe
Adi ibn Musafir
Tages
Vegoia
Gobind Singh
Paracelsus

Last edited:
I'd rather not go there. Frankly, it'd leave me in bad taste, much more so than other GP, to be forced to use certain figures as my Great Prophet.

I personally don't care, but I'm a militant atheist who couldn't care less about religious sensitivities, so I'd recommend getting the opinion of someone more compassionate than I.

Containing content which is significantly offensive to people could be beyond the scope of the mod, but I'm honestly not informed enough to know whether that's the case.

I do note the presence of Muhammad in the list, and we've all heard the stories about that.

@Gazebo Do you still have an objection to this? I defer to you.

Anyone else is welcome to weigh in as well.

Last edited:
Is that a list of prophets per say or more a list of remarkable people who had a major impact spiritually in their community? I took a random person in there, Zhu Xi, who is apparently a Chinese philosopher who was proning neo-Confusianism. Not sure why someone should be offended by that in their Great Prophet in the game, but I'm not a religious person.

I like it!

That said, isn't there already a mod that does this? I swear I've used this with VP in the past. iirc there is also one that expands the list of religious denominations considerably, and this seems to work well too: Maybe consider these all at once for plurality's sake. This is probably best response to cultural sensitivities imo. Or just leave it as a modmod, perhaps updated to be optimized for VP.

On the topic of sensitivities, I think its fair to allow community to request certain names be removed from VP's default list, if this proposal is implemented; and not to necessarily require strict majorities for this. For example, and as mentioned above, there is one name on that list that I don't wanna touch, historical accuracy notwithstanding. I have no connection to it personally, but I am aware some may be unhappy about "worship of idols" etc., whether I believe in this or not. Best to leave that one to modmods and not VP main branch.

Last edited:
I'm not religious, but I know some people get offended or start heated discussions easily when it comes to religions. I like the idea, but I think it is best left as a modmod.

On the topic of sensitivities, I think its fair to allow community to request certain names be removed from VP's default list, if this proposal is implemented; and not to necessarily require strict majorities for this. For example, and as mentioned above, there is one name on that list that I don't wanna touch, historical accuracy notwithstanding. I have no connection to it personally, but I am aware some may be unhappy about "worship of idols" etc., whether I believe in this or not. Best to leave that one to modmods and not VP main branch.
The problem with this is that it becomes an unfair whack-a-mole game of who so-and-so finds offensive. I personally don't care (beyond not wanting, say, Gazebo's workplace to be shot up by some lunatic), but if it's going to cause a problem, I think it's best to leave it as a modmod.

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
Out of scope for Vox Populi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom