10 Mistakes Offline Players Make When Playing Online

This is a good guide. I will link my friend to it. He keeps trying to slingshot CS against me (ya, we're playing bts, and this is indeed a sick thing to do), and then I attack with swordsmen and destroy him. I miss one valuable thing in this guide though, which is FFA diplomacy. If you see a weak civ, who's never gonna win the game (like england in the example you mentioned), and he's getting attacked (and probably crushed) by one of the score leaders, you probably wanna go and assist the guy. If all players participating understand the concept of the balance of power, then the game should be more fun.

Sometimes it means signing open borders with a strong civ so he'll attack your neighbour instead of you, often it means assisting the weaker party in a war. If another player is running away with the game, you don't wanna sit around and do nothing while he is out gaining more land and more hammers.

Also important. If people have no clue about how to play multiplayer, you probably wanna defend with mobile units, so you can abuse the roads in your own country when he attacks you. I've noticed that stacks of rifleman are really chanceless against cavalry with 6 movement. They simply cannot attack anything but a city, and they're probably dead before they reach the first city anyway. Sac 2-3 cats/cannons and a stack of cavalry can easily take out a stack of rifleman. If attacker comes with cavalry, and you have rifles, it's 2 movement vs 3 movement, and you want have much of an advantage being the defender then.

Gamespy is pure and utter CRAP. I tried navigating the site and my account for half an hour. I couldn't even contact them because I didn't have the right info. Only thing is: That's why I was f'ing contacting them!

well its funny to read but actually not made by a pro
I miss some details
like do not build 10 turn worker, or do not start with baracks or expect a 3 warrior rush or be aware of fast moves, what is ctr a doing? ....
what is philo teching? how to maximize tech. How to use slaving ? .....

I tried my first MP game today, just after reading this guide. I'm glad I read it.
I played on islands with 5 other players, so early wars weren't a problem.
After a while, I was second in score, and the score leader was about 10% ahead of me. He tried to bring me down by bringing a fleet of about 12 privateers to my islands, but I crushed them with frigates and later ironclads :p
I might have won the game, as I was preparing destroyers-east indiamen-rifles-cannon stack to go for the score leaders cap (which, last time I saw it, was defended by 15 warriors), but I dced :S

I miss some details
like do not build 10 turn worker, or do not start with baracks or expect a 3 warrior rush or be aware of fast moves, what is ctr a doing? ....

LOOOL

Pro Civ4 gamer? Yeah...this could be a profession... :mischief:

I imagine I would crush you 9 times out of 10, like most other opponents. I am a GAMER, not just a Civ4 gamer, and am well versed in game-theory and strategy in a more general sense than the confines of this particular set of algorithms and graphics.

I wrote this for noobs. It is obviously aimed at noobs. It is not aimed at anyone who has played more than 20 games online already as they would already know most of it. And therefore your point is moot.

Perhaps you should realise, before casting aspersions on someone you don't know from Adam, that this was written just weeks after the original Civ4 vanilla release date? And was the first MP guide to exist? Again, moot your point is.

SoxSexSax, you are right. This is a multi-player guide. Why list single-player strategies in it?
Oh, and I managed to chariot-rush TWO players in a particular game.
The first one defended his cap with a warrior.
The second one with two warriors and a scout.
2000 BC.

I miss some details

This guide was originally written about 5 years ago. I think you are expecting too much from the 5-year-old guide.

SoxSexSax, you are right. This is a multi-player guide. Why list single-player strategies in it?
Oh, and I managed to chariot-rush TWO players in a particular game.
The first one defended his cap with a warrior.
The second one with two warriors and a scout.
2000 BC.

There isn't a lot you can do against capitol BFC horse chariots in MP if you don't have a strategic resource readily available. At worst, they just kill you. It's not like vs AI where you can just wall it with archers though. You do that and they simply pillage every tile improvement you have and then you're out of the game. Skirmishers are very annoying at doing that also.

I tried my first MP game today, just after reading this guide. I'm glad I read it.
I played on islands with 5 other players, so early wars weren't a problem.

I find on Islands maps it's all about what Realm's Beyond calls the "Sirian Doctrine" or some such. Basically, naval units take forking to a whole new level. They put a stack of frigate/galleons between 2 cities, and will burn the less-defended one. They will repeat this until a majority of your coastal cities are ash, and then you won't recover.

Basically if those 12 privateers were instead a frigate/galleon navy with some good units inside things would be much harder :). Vikings in particular are annoying with this, though any AGG civ can get amphibious units with 5 xp also. CHA can do it but only with mounted + vassalage + theo which is harder to pull than 5 xp.

It's a LOT better to control the seas on such maps...

hey, btw, sorry to be such a total noob:( but how do you make a signature? Don't laugh, plz, or if you do, at least don't put a laugh emoticon into the follow up message, that would be 2 cruel...

whoopsies, nvm, got it, thx anyway, lol

Top Bottom