10 turn peace treaty, where art thou?

I_Scorpio

Chieftain
I'm currently play a huge continents map, BTS, Noble, Custom game (no tech brokering, no barbs, no random events). While at war in the north, I see hannibal's SOD gather on my southern border, I save then try to sign open borders. He agrees, and I think that gives me a 10-turn respite...but he declares war the turn after :confused: so I reload, and try trading some techs, he accepts but declares war the turn after :mad: Shouldn't there be a ten turn peace? Or does that only apply when the player trades with AI not the other way around?

It only applies if you successfully beg for (or demand) a gold or a tech.

It doesn't apply to open borders or giving away techs.

Begging for/demanding a resource might work.

If they are about to DoW they probably won't accept though.

Once I had traded techs with a civ before DoWing it, since I was going to wipe it out in less than 10 turns and wanted to get what I could beforehand. Then I suddenly noticed that I couldn't declare war since I had a peace treaty. Does the treaty just affect players and not the AI, then? :confused:

Any accepted demands or requests will create the 10 turn peace treaty I believe. So if the AI demanded 200 gold and you agreed, he could not declare war on you for 10 turns.

And the same works for you if you demand 200 gold and the AI accepts, you cannot declare war on him for 10 turns.

Are you sure you brokered a peace treaty (which stays in effect for at least 10 turns), and not a cease fire (which can be broken at any time)?

Demand or request = 10 turn treaty.

Peace treaty involving war ending in exchange for something = 10 turn treaty.

Anything else = no treaty.

There are hax ways around 10 turn treaties though, like the AP or events, or peacevassal then sudden DoW by master. Also, if you bribe the AI out of war, it does not create a peace treaty between the 2 AIs, allowing an AI to suck in techs repeatedly from the human and another AI for going into/out of war. Stupid, but true. Fortunately, the AI does not bribe others OUT of war at least.

Top Bottom