1000 ways you know you've played Civ2 too much when...

347 - You put "Long live Civ2" in the end of your posts

348 - You put "Long live CFC" in the end of your posts

349 - You put "Long live Sid Meier" in the end of your posts

350 - You put all of the above in the end of your posts

BTW, naminator, we are at 336, not 36.

351 - You get upset when people mess up the order of the list

352. If you've ever stayed up late at night wondering exactly what IS it that makes the citizens upgrade your palace/throne room/monuments (this is a Civ-series-wide thing, not just for Civ 2) sometimes, and not others. (They'll sometimes do it even when things are going BAD...I look around at my two cities and my low technology and my money that's going down, and I think, "Gee, thanks for the compliment, guys, but WHAT 'great and wise leadership?'" :p Then you have 200 years of great prosperity and they let your palace just rot. (scratches head))

353. You decide to post on this forum for the first time, and think that you should name yourself something Civ-related, but WHAT, exactly? If you name yourself after just any random historical figure, you might not remember it later on for future log-in. So, you decide to name yourself after the leader's name that you had in your "best game ever".

354. And you can _instantly_ REMEMBER what was your "best game ever", including the exact title you had at the end. :p

355. You not only read this entire thread, but kept cracking up at it (my favourites are all the "order neighbors' troops out of your yard" type ones, for some reason...I also loved the whole saga of making the kids build a pyramid in order to make the family grow faster (also "move away to the coast and start your own damn city!". (giggle))

356. You wonder how come we didn't have Computer much earlier than we did, say, the 1920's, because after all, _television_ had been discover--er, invented--by then...

357. There's a church just a block away from you, and every time you walk by it, you wonder how come you don't feel a bit happier all of a sudden.

358. You not only name your cities after things in your favourite fantasy/sci fi books/TV series/whatever, but also try to make sure they're in places that are geographically similar to the "real" ones (Ankh-Morpork must be near a big river, Riva should be on a small island somewhere, Rivendell should be in a forest...oh, and a corrollary for Call to Power: You make five space stations just so you can name them Babylon Station, then Babylons 2-5. :p And one called Deep Space Nine, too. (snicker))

359. You have debates with yourself about whether or not to rename conquered cities, and come up with the pros and cons for each side of the argument. (Pro for renaming: It REALLY rubs in the fact that this is _your_ city now and not theirs, ha ha, they lost, you won, (thumb nose). Pros for leaving name alone: When the game has gotten MUCH further and you're starting to forget which of your cities came from where, foreign names are a reminder that this city used to belong to somebody else and you successfully grabbed it and took it! It's a little ego-boost. ;))

360. If you, upon first playing your new CD of Civ 2, wondered why the Advisors were suddenly talking, human actors and why the _throne room_ was getting upgraded instead of the palace...you could've SWORN it used to be the palace...
(This is more a Sign That You've _Known About_ Civ 2 For a Very Long Time, I guess. I swear, that was my reaction when I first popped the CD in the drive, "Well, THIS game has certainly been tweaked a bit!")

361. You worry that your reasons are boring/stupid and not as funny as the other people's. :p

...Notorious

362. - When you can't get your Christmas Presents wrapped because you are playing CIV II.

363. - When you can't get your husband to wrap your Christmas Presents because he is playing CIV II also.

364 - When you see a TV historical documental and start analizing it as if it was a Civ2 savegame... I wouldn't had moved the troops that way... They clearly needs more temples... etc

365 -- Sounds like we’ve been at this list every day of the year.

366 -- Duh -- some dumb joke about a leap year.

367 -- When you serious learn some info about computers in order to take advantage of civ associated add-on programs.

368 -- When you go to visit a family member’s house and install civ when they are not looking

369 -- And play when they’re not looking. :scan:

370 -- And play when they ARE looking. :eek:

371-- Every time you read this list, you're inspired to play Civ II again and again.

372--You sometimes think about which fictional characters would like these games. (For example, I was reading "Fox Trot" the other day and came up with the thought that Jason would probably conquer the world on his very first try on Deity with harsh terrain, small world, ravaging barbarian hordes, etc. and then wonder _why_ anybody ever thinks these games are hard. (giggle) Can't you just SEE him doing that? I can. :p)

373--You go around reccommending the games to other people...and they actually _do_ buy it afterwards. :)

374--When you can't choose between _which_ of the four Civ games that you own, to play at a given moment. (Five if you count the fact that you've got _two_ versions of Civ 1... :p)

...Notorious

Originally posted by Scheherezade
Jason would probably conquer the world on his very first try on Deity with harsh terrain, small world, ravaging barbarian hordes, etc. and then wonder _why_ anybody ever thinks these games are hard. (giggle) Can't you just SEE him doing that? I can. :p)

My kids love Foxtrot, so I read it too. Jason strikes me as one who loves the first-person shooter type games: he loves to see the blood splat, rather than the turn-based strategy types. I'd lump D&D in with the former, rather than the latter. It was funny when his mom got addicted, though...

I'd be suprised if anyone conquered the world on their first try in Deity with all the issues you list... too much background detail knowledge necessary...

I meant that in the sense of: having him solve it quickly (before 1AD, at any rate) to show how "brilliant" he is, in an exaggerated comic sense. Like in an earlier (real) cartoon of the series where he was given a Rubik's Cube and solved it INSTANTLY, and said something like "I can't believe people used to think these things were hard." I was thinking the Civ thing would be another variation on _that_ gag. Not supposed to be realistic. :p
And yes, he'd rather see the blood splat, I'm just saying that IF he tried one of these types of games, he'd probably do well at it.

Shutting up now...

...Notorious

376. When you dream you are in anarchy and your citizens are so mad you can't stop the revolution even with luxuries at 100 % and all citizen's as entertainers. You see the squares in front of you, you know what you should do, everything is turning so awfully red and yet nothing works though it should.

45. You fall asleep (or wake-up) dreaming a Civ game.

46. (As above) and you're ticked-off because it was your turn to move and you were about to WHOMP on the enemy.

379. Even though you have not posted in a while, you have read this thread 8 times.

Oh and Marcus--you numbered wrong, plus it's Carthago Delenda Est.

380. It becomes a disaster when you upgrade to XP and can not reload Civ II.

381. You are seriously considering building another computer just to play Civ II.

382 The rest of the family really wishes you would solve the problem so they could get some peace.

383...so you go on eBay to buy a PC with Win 98 installed for the express purpose of Civ II-ing.

384...or go on eBay to purchase the parts necessary to build a Win 98 PC.

385...and end up selling your new, Win XP PC on eBay to pay for the parts.

386...heck, you know you love Civ II when even a 386 processor sounds good to you right about now (cheap joke).

387. You're not supposed to play games on the computer at work, so you spend your day in the Civ Fanatics Forums.

388. You find this thread, start reading it, and suddenly realize you've been at work for several hours.

389. You wonder why America has put up with 4 years of Despotism, and anxiously await the return to democracy in November.

390. You try to translate Dungeons & Dragons into Civ terms, calling temples 'taverns', requiring the advance 'ale' which also alows the unit 'dwarves'; and calling barracks 'temples' because the clerics can heal and bless units...

391. Being a pacifist at heart, you've gone through a civ game without ever attacking an enemy unit. (OCC notwithstanding)

392. You've researched the 7 wonders of the world because you wonder where they were built so you can properly simulate it, and find yourself confused to find references to a statue of Zues, etc.

may have been said but...

393. You have added your own name to the credits file, because you feel like youve put in as much time on the game as they did.

395. You've owned civ 2 for a week, come across this forum and say:"What a bunch of rubbish, I know it all already..."

396: You havent read the forum, but there is no doubt in your mind that you came up with something different.

397: You vow to yourself that if the forum looses popularity you will go all the way to the 1000th post yourself.

398: You wonder what will hapen when the 1000 mark is reached.

399: Your psychiatrist has read, and is still reading this forum to find out if you play civ 2 too much...

400: You read through the rules text just to find out what all the instant advice is, just because.

401: You keep coming up with ideas and think that you should get creative writing credit in school for this.

401: You play civ 2 for hours trying to set the world record and dye from lack of sleep.

402: You relized what the above was going to do to you and stop short of death.

403: You relize that there is probably no world record and curse Guiness for not putting the important stuff in his book.

404: You wonder where Guiness lives so you can use forse to put the important stuff in.

405. You try to design a car without wheels.

Top Bottom