2 adapted Map Scripts: Fractal_Arboria and BtSCreation

Junuxx

Emperor
Fractal_Arboria is a combination of Fractal and Arboria. In case you never played it, Arboria "simulates a forest paradise". No deserts, no ice. No seas either. Credit is due to Sirian for Arboria and to Soren Johnson for Fractal. While it is wonderful to play around in lush Arboria, I thought the lack of any geography was a bit of a bore. So I plugged in the continent generation from the Fractal map and I fiddled a bit with resource placement: more fish, incense and aluminum. Fish because the added coastline and naval importance in general needed some counterpart to the deer spam on land, incense and aluminum because of their extreme scarcity in Arboria. Oil also used to be very scarce in Arboria, but on this map there tends to be a decent amount of oil in the sea.

I included two screenshots of the map shape (large map, sealevel medium) as well as one that shows a typical distribution of resources.

For the download, see the third post in this thread

BtSCreation is an adaptation of cephalo's Creation for FFH2. It creates numerous valleys between mountain ranges. Valleys are connected only through a very limited number of passes, a feature that I quite liked. However, cephalo's map script was specifically designed for FFH. In that mod, some civs fare better in certain terrain types, and the map generated regions totally covered in jungle or desert to facilitate them. But in unmodded civ, such terrain is bad for everyone. Therefore I changed the terrain generation to yield grass and forests most of the time. Sometimes plains or ice/tundra regions can be found. I included a typical BtSCreation world map with start positions.
Note: this map takes very long to generate. A large map requires up to a minute on my pc.

For the latest version, see post #11 in this thread

Attachments

• btscreationmap.jpg
    btscreationmap.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 654
  • fracarbmap1.jpg
    fracarbmap1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 618
  • littlebitofeverything.jpg
    littlebitofeverything.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 591
  • fracarbmap2.jpg
    fracarbmap2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 497
Oops. I should have tested those links before posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess your browser is set to execute the python scripts on clicking them, instead of downloading them. That won't work. Right-clicking the link and 'Save Link As' should.

For your convenience, I also included both map scripts in the zip package attached to this post.

Attachments

• mapscripts.zip
    21.9 KB · Views: 375
I guess your browser is set to execute the python scripts on clicking them, instead of downloading them. That won't work. Right-clicking the link and 'Save Link As' should.

No, it won't. Aside from the fact that I tried that (;)), if python files are set as executable on your server (which is optional but the default) and web servers would allow downloading of executable code then that would expose all script code on the entire Internet for everyone to see (including all passwords and the like hidden within), making website security from a difficult task to a completely impossible one ;) (Although to be fair most websites would probably gain almost as much from having their code exposed to public scrutiny as they'd lose from it :))

For your convenience, I also included both map scripts in the zip package attached to this post.

Thanks, I'll give them a try this week.

No, it won't. Aside from the fact that I tried that (;)), if python files are set as executable on your server (which is optional but the default) and web servers would allow downloading of executable code then that would expose all script code on the entire Internet for everyone to see

Uh, yeah. Makes sense :). Still, right-click and save link as does work for me.

Thanks, I'll give them a try this week.

gonna try this out

Cool, let me know what you think.

I also like Fractal Arboria. But Sid's Sushi is totally overpowered here.

You're totally right, BtsCreation needed some work and while it was relatively easy to fix I just needed to find the time. Here's a new version with more varied terrain. There's now more variation both between regions and in regions themselves.

Attachments

• BtSCreation-1.01.zip
    19 KB · Views: 310
its really nice bro!!! i would like to see some more options for the script settings, and perhaps a way to get those mountains and continents (which rock!) onto a spherical world map:)

Really like the BtS Creation map. In fact, after looking it over, I think I'd like to maybe get a summer home in one of those valleys. :)

Definitely think that a spherical option should be available!

Really like the BtS Creation map. In fact, after looking it over, I think I'd like to maybe get a summer home in one of those valleys. :)

Definitely think that a spherical option should be available!

Ahem, if I may say something regarding a spherical option...

I never designed this map to wrap. It's meant to be part of a world, not the whole thing. Beyond the map edges are places of mystery that nobody knows about. I know that if you set the wrapping variables to 'true' it actually works by some miracle, but it is extremely offensive to my artistic sensibilities... :gripe::lol:

Do you want to see the Mona Lisa holding a McDonalds cheesburger? My eyes! My eyes!...

If you want to play on a circumnavigable 'planet', PerfectWorld is vastly superior in every way, especially for BtS. It has oceans, and a new world to explore! and mountain ranges! and relatively fair start locations!

Ahem, if I may say something regarding a spherical option...

I never designed this map to wrap. It's meant to be part of a world, not the whole thing. Beyond the map edges are places of mystery that nobody knows about. I know that if you set the wrapping variables to 'true' it actually works by some miracle, but it is extremely offensive to my artistic sensibilities... :gripe::lol:

Do you want to see the Mona Lisa holding a McDonalds cheesburger? My eyes! My eyes!...

If you want to play on a circumnavigable 'planet', PerfectWorld is vastly superior in every way, especially for BtS. It has oceans, and a new world to explore! and mountain ranges! and relatively fair start locations!

I'll have to give it a try... I have to confess that I NEVER play non-spherical maps, but BtS Creation is almost enough for me to change my mind.

I'll give PerfectWorld a try. :)

Hehe. In June I'll be able to fiddle a bit more with these scripts. At the moment, however, my university is trying to kill me. I have some ideas on how to make this work on a spherical world (stop region generation closer from the edge and don't fill edges with mountains). Also I'd like to improve resource balance (I just noticed a remark in cephalo's Creation thread that says there is never any oil on this map...) But I definitely want to respect cephalo's artistic sensibilities, after all, Creation is not only his brainchild, but my changes to it are really minor, it's probably for about 98% equal to his work. And I suppose even more if measured in invested time. :)

hell yeah, this is a very cool and competive script, one of my all time favorites.

add something to tweak the resources in the script setting so we can add more resources :)
might as well just make a separate new script with the code you need from cephalo and whatnot :p

Top Bottom