2 questions for the newb

Lost_General

Chieftain
Hi all, was just wondering:

1. In the Foreign Advisor, is this a quick way to declare war? I'm talking about those red and blue lines. It seems like I can manipulate the lines but I can't seem to get rid of them all togeather.

2. If I want to trade luxury goods with another Civ I have to be connected to the Civ right? If so I would have to build a road from their city to mine. Do I first have to get a Rite of Passage so I can then build the roads or does this all automatically happen?

thanks to any who reply

Lost_General

Welcome to CFC!

1 - The lines just indicate the state of relations between civs. Blue is a peace treaty, red is war, other colors for Right of Passage and Mutual Protection Pact. To declare war, the best way is to click on "active" under the trade box and bring up the peace treaty. When you close out without renegotiating, your advisor will ask if you really want to declare war.

2 - You have to be connected by road to the other civ's capital. To some extent, yes, you can help the AI build roads in his territory - workers don't usually get kicked out - but you may have to wait for him to finish building roads. A port will also connect you to any other civs who have a port and the ability to reach you by sea.

Cos tha AI takes so long to build roads you can get a Right of Passage and then send in your workers to make a connection to the road network which leads to there capital.

Best way to declare war is to check if they have a Mutual Protection Pact with someone (Nationalism). Then under Active in the trading screen as Willbill says.To check for any active deals.
A quicker way is open trading screen one of the first options is declare war. Not a good habit.

Just to clarify:
To trade with another civ, your CAPITALS have to be connected by roads or harbours or airports. If it is harbours then you have to have a clear path to their harbour (i.e. not black) and you have to have ships that can traverse ocean squares (unless they are not accross an ocean of course).

In the foreign advisor screen, you can see different lines for different types of agreements/pacts (eg peace, war, embargo, MPP, etc). You can only manupulate them by choosing which ones to show. You cannot break or create lines here, just show or hide them.

You don't need ROP to build roads in the AI's territory but the AI will consider them military untis. This might not matter, but might make the AI ask you to remove them. Often, if the AI says your troops are in their territory you can tell the AI you will move them, but leave them to carry on with their work with no penalty. If the workers are near an AI city, esp the capital, the AI may demand you move them (you will have to move them or declare war).

enjoy

Forget building roads to trade! Destroy them all and then claim the resources for YOURSELF!!! WARMONGER!

:die: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :tank: :tank:

Har har, really, I'm ok... just looking for a cheap laugh ;)

Top Bottom