2 UUs

but now we have the promise of an assortment of new units from the conquests, which could trnslate into your being finished as soon as you rename them all...

I just hope i can agree on your choices in the Byzantium-Roman arena ;)

I actually thought about making this recently (My version didn't have completely unique units, some civs shared a UU with another, others shared names).

In addition to unique units, I was also thinking about Unique Wonders (one for each civ)

It would add a lot of flavor to the game, if done correctly.

For Carthage, how about a slight modification, plus a UU.

Change Numidian Mercenaries to Libyan ones. Numidians were famous for Light Cavalry and Light Skirmishing infantry. Libyans were the Heavy Spearmen preferred in the Punic Wars (In case you don't know, the art files say Libyan Mercenary as well). The other UU would be Numidian Cavalry. This light, Javelin-throwing Cavalry was probably the best light cavalry in the western Meditaranian.

Byzantine -Cataphract, obviously

Germany- U-Boat

Greece -Trireme

Viking - Longboat

Iroquois - Either an Archer or a Gunpowder unit. Iroquois boys were trained to use bows and arrows from an early age, but it wasn't until Gunpowder that the Iroquois grew to tremendous strength.

Spain - Tercio. A combination of Pikemen and Gunpowder units was used very effectively by the Spanish (probably a Gunpower replacement with an extra defense)

Persia - Horse Archer. Light Cavalry used effectively by all Middle-Eastern Empires from Assyria onwards (also used by Steppe civs, like the Huns)

Rome - Although the Pretorian Guard has been mentioned several times, the Guard really wasn't practically used. An emperor had to pay the Pretorian Guard, or he would be assasinated. They were nowhere near as important as Legionaries. They wouldn't really fit as Spearmen because they came after the Bronze Age. What about Axillia, making a Swordsman that requires no resources, for those unlucky Romans without iron.

If you can't think of unique units for every civ, I also gave Babylon Horse Archers, and Sumer War Chariots.

Originally posted by Xen

I dont belive the Mongols had a heavey pikman in there armies, at least not of there own origin, they did however imploy native levies from the peoples that allied with them

Which is why I've been promoting Gantaolu Irregulars as the second Mongol UU in all the other threads about additional UUs.

Quoting myself:
Suggestion for 2nd Mongol UU: Gantaolu Irregular. These were unpaid, usually Chinese, troops who fought for the mere chance of acquiring loot. Game-mechanically, a Medieval Infantry replacement, with decreased cost. Could also require no upkeep.

(If this sound too good, consider the Immortal - it's a Medieval Infantry the better part of an age earlier for less cost. The advantage of not requiring upkeep would be more than offset by not coming on-line till the enemy most probably has pikes.)

Decreased cost for the Gantaolu Irregulars + no upkeep would be too much. Just the no upkeep alone is enough to make it both atractive to use and trully unique. Good idea Last Conformist.

@Xen: I like the idea to give Cataphracts an extra hit point. That would make it trully unique. but what about this, Give it an extra hitpoint, and an extra attack point.

that, with a bumped up cost, woul dmake it trully uniques, and very valuble unit- in other words- I love it :D

For the English, they could have the Spitfire as second UU.
It would be historically right, because with their small and fast fighters, they drove the German bombers to madness.
And it would be fun, because then they would have two useless UUs in the game ;-)

for the brits I think Red Coats would be a beter secondary UU...

Cahnge long bowmen to crossbowmen, then give the longbowmen to the English.

Dutch: Swiss merc + eh...... Scottish merc?

Top Bottom