(2-WD) Add an environmental vision to VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible to do somehow like Civ 6, where replanted forest are slightly weaker than originals, and couldn't receive national parks ? It's already the case IRL, replanted forests are more like plantation where all trees are aligned, and would definitely not qualify for national parks. Indeed, most of the time they only serve as a new source of wood => building material.
One way to distinct this is by making a custom Forest feature. That would require a lot of compatibility adjustment to make it work with other mods that uses the Forest feature, it would be a modder's nightmare.

Maybe the solution is to increase drastically the time needed to plant forest? Like 15 to 20 turns?

I think it is 7 turns in the current version of the mod

This really sounds like a modmod, even if you do figure out what it actually is.

But yeah this is absolutely a veto, because you’re workshopping what this proposal is still.

Reactions: MEQ
This really sounds like a modmod, even if you do figure out what it actually is.

But yeah this is absolutely a veto, because you’re workshopping what this proposal is still.
Yes I agree but as the discussions continued, it makes it possible to feel if it is something which can interest or not. I think I'm not even going to propose a resolution: Reforestation + National Park built, it seems that many will not be for it.

I think reforestation would be a good ability for a new ideology unlock. Hence why it’s in my new ideologies project proposal :D

Realistic environmental model won't work in civ/VP since we have a victory condition limit, so you can practically say "screw the world I'm going to the moon" and just win/end the game without caring about the aftermatch.
A model that involves using environmental elements to create advantage/disadvantage against other competitors would work though, like using solely nuclear electric and pass a congress proposal to ban fossil fuel (nerf any buildings that use coal and oil), or with the event system enable, roll more bad environmental events if you have less than x % of forest/jungle tile within the city border.

Realistic environmental model won't work in civ/VP since we have a victory condition limit, so you can practically say "screw the world I'm going to the moon" and just win/end the game without caring about the aftermatch.
I agree with this. Even if the proposal had everything set and specific, there's the issue that the environmental part would likely be only as relevant as the Giant Death Robot. The whole environment debate only really started after the Cold War (Atomic Era), so the proposal would only realistically apply to the Information Era. Yes you can argue that human activity was already shaping Earth at least since the Industrial Revolution, but it is a far fetch to say that environmental concerns played a major role during the world wars and the Cold War (Modern and Atomic eras).

Being so late, the effects would have to be really drastic to matter, and potentially such a major disruption to gameplay that it feels completely disconnected from the rest of the game. With the scope we have now, it only seems to fit as a WC proposal.

Reforestation can be interesting, but potentially too powerful for specific civs (Brazil, Maya, maybe Siam and Iroquois as well) if it unlocks too early.

Relevant links for this discussion:

Reforestation mod for VP - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/reforestation-for-vp.657406/
Global Warming mod - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198149168 and https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404546535
National Parks mod - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/national-parks.645248/

I assume these are all the mods mentioned; I'm not aware of a VP version for the Global Warming mod.

@gwennog, can you add these links to the original post?

Would be great to have a mod looking to achieve this first and make tries before any integration to VP probably.

@gwennog You should get permission from the mod creators before proposing to integrate their work into VP.

@gwennog You should get permission from the mod creators before proposing to integrate their work into VP.
Hello Recursive. No need in fact, I think my request is not refined enough for a proposal from the VP congress. I haven't read all the proposal rule changes you just posted, but there is one that says, I believe a proposal can be withdrawn. It's better as long as the idea isn't clear and anyway, I think I should work on a modmod first. There is only reforestation that I would have proposed but in view of the comments, I do not think that it will win membership. Might as well get the whole proposal out.

Proposal withdrawn by request on November 24, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom