2010 American Civil War

allan2

Gone Fishing
I've already got the map made, still working on units and a tech tree....

But my scenario has 7 Civs:
Canadians (republic)
Mexicans (republic)
Native Americans (communal--communism)
Greens (communal--communism)
Nation of Islam (fundamentalist)
Aryan Nations (fundamentalist)
Misc. Former US (neo-feudal--monarchy)

As the scenario starts, the Nation of Islam (leader Louis Farrakhan) has seized most of the large cities on the Eastern seaboard (New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington (renamed "DC"), and Richmond; as well as a few large southern cities (Atlanta, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jacksonville); and some Midwestern cities (Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis); and they are knocking at the door of a few other cities in those regions.

The Mexicans have Mexico (actually only the northern part is represented on the map, capital Monterrey), and some parts of the former southwestern US including Los Angeles, Phoenix and Houston.

The Native Americans have much of the Dakotas, northern Minnesota, parts of Montana and Wyoming, as well as much of New Mexico and northern Arizona, Oklahoma, central/eastern Washington, Upper Michigan, and most of northern Ontario.

Canada is still within its original borders, minus what the Native Americans have so it is basically divided into two parts, east and west. (I wanted an independent Quebec, but only 7 tribes are allowed so....)

The Greens have northern California, and the coastal parts of Oregon and Washington, as well as a separate part encompassing New England.

The Aryan Nations are the smallest, having Idaho, some of western Montana, eastern Oregon, northern Utah, and western Wyoming. However they are on killer defense terrain....

The Misc. Former US are what remained of the US after an EMP pulse disabled commerce, defense, and government in the US, and the factions above claimed the territories they have in the subsequent chaos. They are basically locally-run feudal city-states, with no capital and none possible until they get a certain advance allowing the "Seat of Government" (palace) improvement (all other civs have capitals, some having more than one). They suffer from a lot of corruption due to their government type, too. So although they cover the largest territory, they are in some ways very challenging to play (they start out relatively weak militarily too).

Although some cities have more of the old modern infrastructure still intact, building most of the same stuff from scratch is impossible at the beginning of the game--the "advances" are to be thought of more as "developing the physical capability to build heavy infrastructure"--the stuff that's still standing can be operated, and the knowledge is there, but rebuilding takes some semblance of order to do, which the player tries to establish over time.

Government switching is possible, but these too only come with advances which the civs don't have at the beginning. There is also no "Statue" equivalent.

Barbarians also exist bigtime, having a few small cities in Appalachia, out west, and in the Caribbean (and they also have Miami!). I'd like to be particularly creative with the barb units--like a "Hells Angels" unit (bikers) and a few other things....

Expressways (railroads) exist along much of the old interstate network, while some stretches have fallen into disrepair. Again, new expressways can't be built before a certain advance though.

Diplomacy starts like this:

Greens are allied with Native Americans, and at peace with everyone else but the Aryan Nations.

Native Americans are allied with Greens and Canadians (though the alliance with Canada is strained), at war with the Aryan Nations, at peace with everyone else.

Mexicans are at cease-fire with Misc. Former US, at peace with everyone else.

Nation of Islam is at war with Misc. former US, at peace with everyone else (but not in contact with territorially, but having vendetta with, Aryan Nations).

Aryan Nations are at war with Misc. Former US, Nation of Islam (no contact, but vendetta hostility), Native Americans, and Greens, no contact with anyone else.

Canada is at peace with everybody! And like I said, allied somewhat with the Native Americans.

Misc. US is at war with the Nation of Islam and Aryan Nations, at cease-fire with the Mexicans, and at peace with everyone else.

There are many areas of potential conflict, all over the continent, so peace can go bad at any time!

There will be a few events and surprises in the game as well! Any suggestions are welcome!

A few tribes will possess nukes recovered in the post-EMP chaos, but none more can be built until relatively late in the game. Same with remnants of the US navy and air force....

"It's been done, though I don't know where it can still be downloaded. It had the Nation of Islam, the Mormans and lots of other weird civs. It was one of the darkest and funniest scenarios I've ever played. Very irreverent and satirical."

Exactly the kind of thing I had in mind! A combination of some dark humor, and a somewhat serious look at America as a land of culturally differing regions, rather than some big monolithic entity.... Breaking it up into factions helps explore that.

(Btw, Tecumseh, I pm'd you--yes I'd like to see this other creation--I think it will give me some ideas.)

Initial wonders ideas:

Pyramids--Advanced Organic Farming Techniques in Burlington (VT) (Greens)

Oracle--Hollywood Studios in Los Angeles (Mexicans) (Doubles effects of all TV stations)

Hanging Gardens--Cabo San Lucas in La Paz (Mexicans) (If Mexico City were on my map, I would have had Chapultepec Park--but Cabo sort of reflects the easygoing, unhurried attitude of Mexican culture--less stress=more happiness!)

King Richard's--CN Tower in Toronto (Canadians) (reflects the industriousness of this great city, largely unscathed in the fighting--so far)

Eiffel Tower--Washington Monument in D.C. (Nation of Islam) (whatever faction captures this gets some diplomatic favor (well, we know what that's really worth, but...), and if NoI holds it, they retain some favor)

Shakespeare's Theatre--Mardi Gras in New Orleans (Nation of Islam)

Cure for Cancer--Disneyworld in Orlando (Misc. Former US)

Isaac Newton's College--Harvard and MIT in Boston (Greens)

Great Wall--Crazy Horse Monument in Wounded Knee (actually near Rushmore, but this is the closest city on my map) (Native Americans)

JS Bach's--Sundance Ceremonies in Wind River (Native Americans)

Maybe a few more to start with, but lots of wonders will be built in the game itself....

Top Bottom