Deity
Latest Polling

Lab 26.5%
National 39.1%
ACT 8.8%
Greens 14.2%
NZFirst 5.2%
TPM 2.2%

These are the only parties that will get into parliament (5% threshold, TPM has an electorate seat gets in that way.

Main blocks are left/right Labour+Greens and National+ACT. National and labour centre right/left, Greens progressive left.

TPM is kind of a Maori nationalism party broadly left wing with some radical race based ideas (eg they took down claims of Maori genetic superiority from their website recently).

NZFirst is a reactionary anti woke right wing socially type party with some centrist policies. ACT is hard right neo libs dogwhistling for anti Vax, gun nuts American type stuff.

So poo sandwich then. Polls have been clear for months Labour's going to lose the election down from 51% three years ago. 6% roughly have driftef to the Greens but they usually underperformed on election day and come up shortly 2%. 59% combined down to 40.7. 18% roughly swung right. The right is pushing coalition of chaos line with Labour/Greens/TPM.

There's not any momentum nor any hope going by media coverage of Labour. NZ First might not get 5% though which might just bump ACT+ National over the line.

NZF has ruled out working with labour. Such a promise isn't rock solid the leader has gone the other way before. ACT doesn't want to work with them but may if they have to eat a poo sandwich. Labour and National have both said they would work with NZ first. Generally everyone doesn't like him but kingmaker type role for the third time. NZF leader generally seen as a handbrake by progressives and poison by the right.

So most likely we are looking at some form o reactionary right wing government. All 3 right wing parties have lurched right mostly tax cuts, run down public service, help out the rich and they're not even bothering to hide it. Electorate hates Labour, progressives like the Greens but not enough of them.

So here's my options.

1. Don't vote. Bleah only done this once before when Labour won in a landslide.

2. Hold my nose and vote Labour or split vote labour/Greens like last time. I live in a labour stronghold the local MP will win without doing anything or trying.

3. Hold my nose and vote NZF then go get drunk. Basically a strategic poison pill type vote. Last time NZF went with National the coalition fell apart and weak government for a year and then they got turfed out. Basically a handbrake on ACT/National. Slim chance they might put Labour/Greens in a'la 2017 but they won't get much done but maybe avoid a chainsaw to Social spending. Win/win maybe.

Probably won't vote for anyone else they all make my teeth itch. Right wing governments usually last 3 terms (9 years) left wing averages out 6 years (3, 2, 2,1 terms last 4 governments).

A fairly bleak and underwhelming options all round tbh. Unless you're a landlord,investor, farmer, corporate type it's looking good.

Last edited:
If the least objectionable choice is one you'd have to hold your nose to vote for, then isn't that better than not voting at all?

(unless the least objectionable one has something really objectionable going for him/her anyway)

I'm in the situation right now of having nobody I want to vote for provincially when the next election comes around. Surprised that NDP is off the table?

When the leader of that party blocks me on FB for no reason I can find out and her office staff is too stupid to figure out who runs her social media pages and get them to look into it, there is no way in hell I'm going to support a party that thinks it has a surplus of voters to throw away. At least I KNOW why the UCP MLAs who have blocked me have done so. They don't like having their "alternative facts" corrected.

If your local NZF candidate is an acceptable person, then I'd recommend you vote for them.

Don't know who they are. The party is mostly Winston First and his prize henchman. Electorate vote for me doesn't really matter.

There's only two electorate maybe 3 that matter.

Voting for NZFirst is mostly a handbrake or poison pill for NACT coalition.

Wish there was a pro-vaccination nationalist party out there. I keep getting left out.

just start my own darn party

ワクチン賛成愛国庶民党
sounds good

Your population is comparable to our regional Flemish electorate of 6 million, so there is likely someone,

a distant relative, former classmate idk. maybe a former local politician who did a good job and now moves to the federal level...?

So here's my options.

1. Don't vote. Bleah only done this once before when Labour won in a landslide.

2. Hold my nose and vote Labour or split vote labour/Greens like last time. I live in a labour stronghold the local MP will win without doing anything or trying.

3. Hold my nose and vote NZF then go get drunk. Basically a strategic poison pill type vote. Last time NZF went with National the coalition fell apart and weak government for a year and then they got turfed out. Basically a handbrake on ACT/National. Slim chance they might put Labour/Greens in a'la 2017 but they won't get much done but maybe avoid a chainsaw to Social spending. Win/win maybe.

Probably won't vote for anyone else they all make my teeth itch. Right wing governments usually last 3 terms (9 years) left wing averages out 6 years (3, 2, 2,1 terms last 4 governments).

A fairly bleak and underwhelming options all round tbh. Unless you're a landlord,investor, farmer, corporate type it's looking good.
imho, 'strategic' voting and not voting at all are both flawed approaches if you care about the outcome (and given this post, I presume you do). Based on how you seem to represent your views on the parties, it seems like #2 is your best/least-bad option.

Why is the Ok Boomer girl not leader of the green party?

Green party rules and because they're useless.

By there rules they have to have a Maori and a female leader. There other most effective leader is a white male. One of their vo leaders is both. So she would have to roll him.

Last edited:
imho, 'strategic' voting and not voting at all are both flawed approaches if you care about the outcome (and given this post, I presume you do). Based on how you seem to represent your views on the parties, it seems like #2 is your best/least-bad option.

That's what I've been leaning to. Fairly predictable what's gonna happen when they lose though.

Latest polls in Labour is continuing to snk but Nationa+ACT also down. They can't form a government.

NZ first is up to 6% though so kingmaker type deal. He's gone with Labour+Greens before but unlikely this time around and I don't think they have the numbers.

Couple of weeks to go.

Eh, 2. Vote Green where you can.

Incoming . . .

Or wait for tomorrow, of course.

Top Bottom