2023 NCAA Football Thread

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
Honestly, never thought about discussing sports at CFC but just noticed this subforum and I love eggball. Some very interesting games today. Sooners v. Horns. Twerps v. Suckeyes. LSU v. Mizzou. Georgia Dawgs. v. Kentucky.

Who is your favorite team?

I'm a Virginia Tech grad so I'm a Hokie all the way, but our program is down right now. We do play FSU today (Free Shoes University). Also a lifelong Georgia fan.

Although not much of a fan of Maryland, I would love to see them beat Ohio State.

I'm an Ohio State fan. Growing up in central Ohio, it's the natural team to follow, and for most of my life until Joe Burrow went to the Bengals, our two pro teams were awful. So I watch NCAA football on Saturdays, and have no interest in the NFL on Sundays.

We had a Bama fan here last year but he's been away from CFC for some months now. Otherwise, I'm a bit surprised there aren't more of us. Glad you started the thread! Haven't seen much of VT in recent years. Obviously have seen a fair amount of Georgia recently. They're as consistently good as anyone this decade.

Some good games and a few surprising upsets today. Did not see Illinois over Maryland coming. Nor Pitt over Louisville. Not shocked that Notre Dame beat USC, USC had had some closer wins the past few weeks, though the margin was hefty. Arkansas nearly came back against Bama. I'm always happy to see Bama lose, they won so much over the past 10 years (probably the same reason you would've loved to see Maryland win a week ago? That game was a bit close for comfort in the first half). Looking forward to seeing Tennessee play them next week.

Today I watched Iowa-Wisconsin which was classic defense-and-special-teams Big Ten football. Iowa's punter was amazing, punting for 506 yards over 10 punts. Definitely the MVP. They aren't at the level of Penn State, and only passed for 37 yards, but Iowa should probably be ranked and I would not be surprised to see them finish 11-1.

Also saw a decent chunk of UNC-Miami, UNC is for real this year. If they can get by Duke, they might finish 12-0, and a 12-0 UNC versus a 12-0 FSU would be quite an ACC championship.

Didn't actually watch Ohio State today as the Big Ten signed away TV rights to a network that nobody has. Oh well, had other things that I got done instead, and caught a bit of it on the radio while driving.

Why is FSU "Free Shoes University" though? Was that some scandal like the Ohio State "Golden pants scandal" circa 2010? It seems so quaint now that you could get sanctioned for players selling pants back them, when now the entire Utah team can get free pickup trucks and the NCAA has no problem with it.

Last edited:
Next week's highlights:

Noon Eastern - Penn State at Ohio State. Should be really good, it always is. The wrinkle this year is that, IMO, the question is "can Penn State's offense beat Ohio State's defense?" They hung 31 on Iowa so they might, but it's weird as an Ohio State fan to be in a position where our offense is still figuring things out but our defense has been what's been winning games.

3:30 PM - Tennessee at Alabama. The game at Rocky Top last year was my favorite game of the season, narrowly beating out Ohio State/Georgia in the semis and TCU at Baylor. Not sure if it'll be as good this year but will likely check it out.

7:30 PM - Duke at Florida State. I'm still sad that Duke didn't stop Notre Dame on 4th and 16. Hopefully Leonard is back for the Blue Devils. I'm not sure if FSU is really a top-5 team (the older commentators seem to like to think FSU is back, much like they like to think Texas is back), and Duke beat Clemson by a lot more than FSU did.

Did anyone watch Colorado this week? They played on Friday at 10 PM Eastern for some reason, so their game wasn't even on my radar.

But it sounds like it was quite the game for anyone who stayed up for the second half and saw Stanford come back and pull off an upset. That's supposed to be Colorado's role this season!

They certainly are one of the major stories of the year, already having won 4 times as many games as last year, it should've been 5 this week, and they played USC well. I don't really agree with the NCAA allowing coaches to kick a bunch of players off the team just so they can be replaced from the transfer portal, but it's hard to argue that Coach Prime has done an impressive job remaking the Buffaloes.

First third of a good week 7 in the books.

Ohio State's defense met expectations, and the offense was just good enough, thanks to Marvin Harrison Jr, for a 20-12 win. Penn State's offense finally figured out how to move against a tired defensive line in the last two minutes or it would have been 20-6.

My Nittany Lions fan friend had pointed out that coming into the game, Penn State had the longest streak of 30+ point games in the country, so my takeaway is the Ohio State defense really is as good as it looked in games one through six, where Notre Dame was the only strong test, and how strong they are is still TBD. And though we scored fewer, our offensive line looked much better than against Maryland; we couldn't run for anything against the Terps but could run against the Nittany Lions.

Looks like Oklahoma escaped UCF, too. Not sure how that'll look for them in the rankings, will it look better or worse than Penn State beating UMASS 63-0, which wasn't good enough to remain at #6?

Tennessee is up 13-0 against Bama, a promising start.

For the middle slot, the officiating was way too prominent, IMO.

Tennessee would've lost anyway, with nothing in the second half, but some disconcerting signals drew a "delay of game on the defense" penalty. I'm not sure why it's a "delay of game" but after reading up on it I can see the intent behind the rule. Never saw it happen before, though. Tennessee also got stuffed at the 4 because a guy who didn't catch the ball made a false fair catch signal that was pretty slight, I couldn't even notice it until the second replay, and even then wouldn't have without the announcers pointing it out. He wasn't anywhere close to the guy who actually caught the ball either, I can see if they're right next to each other, but he was halfway across the field, and his arms didn't even get up to his waist.

Iowa, on the other hand, got robbed on another false fair catch. Cooper DeJean made the punt return of the season to give Iowa a 16-12 lead, walking a tightrope and evading defenders like he had a magnetic field to repulse them, but it got called back because he moved his left hand in a way that the refs interpreted as a "stay clear" signal. Also well away from where he eventually caught the ball on a bounce, and there was no flag in the vicinity of where he caught the ball and started the return, it was only called after the touchdown had been signaled. I agree with the Iowa fans, you shouldn't have a play called back like that, they should be 7-1.

Houston also got robbed, on a bad spot. Should've had a first down in the red zone down 7 late, but got spotted short and didn't get the 4th down conversion. I was not paying much attention to that game, in part because I was thinking it was Sam Houston State who wouldn't have had a chance, but it looks like it was another close one.

I flipped back and forth between the 15-501 games (UNC and Duke) and Utah/USC, and am now convinced that FSU is for real this year and it's not all hype, after outlasting that Blue Devils defense. They might have won even if Riley Leonard had been 100% healthy. UNC, on the other hand, likely would've had a better chance if they'd been ranked #11. A great finish if you are a UVA fan, but with my connections to UNC and to a school who considers UVA to be a rival, it was disappointing.

But the top game of the rated ones in the evening slot was Utah-USC. The Heisman Trophy winner couldn't defeat the walk-on pig farmer, and what a finish it was as Utah lost the lead, then took it back with a field goal as time expired. I doubt many picked them to win the PAC-12 without Cam Rising, but now they're the rising dark-horse candidate to win, all they have to do is defeat Oregon and Washington and a couple other teams and they'll be in the driver's seat. Edit: Well, actually maybe not, Oregon State as the dark-beaver candidate probably has the tiebreaker on them if they can win out.

Sadly I didn't catch any of the Colorado State game, the other candidate for the best one in the prime time slot. More lead changes than you can count in the fourth quarter before UNLV came out on top.

Last edited:
I came by earlier in the season but there wasn't a thread up and then forgot to look again until now . . .

A bittersweet year in that this is the last great regular season, before some changes for the worse come next year to shift the focus away from the regular season games. This is the last year for divisions in the SEC, making it the last time anything can be won purely on the field and also creating the likelihood of rematches in the conference championship game, which I've never been a fan of. Nationally, twelve teams is just far too many for a playoff, making every game less important since any P5 team with fewer than three losses is all but guaranteed a spot. Speaking of, it's also sad that it's the last year for the P5, with the Pac-12 dissolving . . .

On the field Alabama is certainly not where I'd like us to be. It's strange that we didn't take a more aggressive approach to seeking out a quarterback in the transfer portal, and stranger still that our offensive line went from being hyped as the strength of the team in the preseason to probably our worst unit on either side of the ball right now. What was looking like a really terrible year early on has straightened out a bit lately, and if we can beat LSU next week we're all but guaranteed a spot in the conference title game, where I don't think Georgia is at all unbeatable. I don't see how we're going to beat LSU though. Our defense is great but I don't believe anyone can stop LSU's offense and as bad as their defense is I'm afraid we get in out own way too much on offense to keep up. It would be great to win the West one last time before it goes away though . . .

Nationally I think it's Michigan's year, and I'm not sure anyone else is really all that close. We won't really know for sure for another month, with the way Michigan's schedule is back-loaded, but that's the way it's looking right now. For the other three teams in the playoff right now I'd pick FSU, who I'm not sold on but doesn't look to face any real threats the rest of the year, Texas, who is all but guaranteed to revenge their Oklahoma loss in the Big XII title game rematch and Georgia, who as two-time defending champs isn't going to get left out if they win the SEC. I don't think anyone in the Pac-12 will escape without a loss and they'd get left out as a result. Which is a shame, bc in its last year it's finally the best conference in the country. A lot can still happen to change all that ofc, Ohio State over Michigan or someone else winning the SEC, for example, but those would be my picks right now . . .

With Alabama off it's looking like kind of an off week for me as well. Opening slate is weak, middle games have Oregon/Utah which is a Pac-12 elimination game though I'll probably be watching UGA/Florida instead, and again not much to offer in the third slot, where I'll probably end up watching Ohio State/Wisconsin . . .

Two weeks later...

Hasn't been the best fortnight for Oklahoma, good times if you're a Cowboys fan though. Texas is the clear Big Twelve front-runner now.

Alabama did beat LSU, but it would always be better to see a game end without an injury to a key player (LSU's Daniels). LSU's offense might have been unstoppable otherwise.

I agree on 12 teams being too many for the playoffs, and it being a shame that the PAC-12 is down to the PAC-2. Stanford on the Atlantic Coast, what has the world come to? Personally, I agree with Connor Stalions, the right number of teams for the playoffs is 8. You can have a bad game early, or lose a game because your opponent advance-scouted your signs, and still have a chance to avenge it, but it's not every Power 5 team with two or fewer losses.

Speaking of which, the game I'm most interested in this week is Penn State versus Michigan. Penn State's new QB seemed to finally find his comfort zone against Maryland, and it will be curious to see Michigan play an opponent who is good without the advantage of knowing which play they're calling. The only team to beat them last year was TCU, who changed their signals before the game and gave dummy signals to throw off Michigan. Everyone else was playing with an arm tied behind their back. Now that Penn State presumably has all-new signals for the game that Michigan won't know, and a good team, they might have a fighting chance.

I'm not sad about the demise of divisions in the Big Ten though. Unlike the SEC, the Big Ten's divisions have been lopsided for most of a decade, since Wisconsin was last really good. The top three have been PSU, OSU, and Michigan for years (and MSU for a couple years in the mid-2010s), and they're all in the East. Along with Rutgers and Indiana, who have generally been terrible, though Rutgers is having a good year, and Maryland, who's been only slightly better on average. Literally ten years in a row a team that's currently in the East has won the Big Ten Championship game. Some years Wisconsin has put up a decent challenge, but I'd rather just have the top two teams than have a 12-0 team play an 8-4 team instead of an 11-1 or 10-2 team because the divisions are uneven.

If Nebraska were still 1999 Nebraska, I could see divisions being fun. I'm still hoping to see Iowa in the last division-based Big Ten Championship with their stout defense, even though give their results versus Penn State I know it's unlikely to be competitive. But I don't think anyone else would be either. Wisconsin looked only slightly better against Ohio State. Minnesota was blown out by Michigan, by enough that they can't just blame their signs being stolen, lost to Illinois, and should have lost to Iowa. So why not have the best punter and punt returner in the conference play in the championship game?

In the end I think whether to have divisions depends on the conference. At least as long as Georgia remains good, the SEC could keep divisions even being a bit west-heavy, and have a competitive championship.

Last edited:
Well, Michigan showed that they can win against a good team even without stealing their signs. So the question becomes - why do it?

Penn State's problem seems to be the same one they had against Ohio State - their offense can hardly score against elite defenses. At least not until their last possession when the defenses are playing a bit softer and letting them get some yards as long as time is running off the clock, because it doesn't matter much at that point.

Most questionable coaching call was Penn State going for it on 4th-and-6 in their own territory when nothing was working for the offense. Iowa would've had the wisdom to trust their defense in that situation and punt.

Should be interesting in a couple of weeks. Kyle McCord is not C.J. Stroud, but he's been better when the going's tough than Allar, and combined with Marvin Harrison Jr, I expect the Buckeyes pass game to be tougher for Michigan to deal with. Then the question becomes if Ohio State's running backs are healthy, but with Henderson back, unlike against Penn State, that part of the offense should be functioning as well. Will our defensive line have the stamina to deal with a Michigan team that might only attempt a single forward pass for an entire half, but just run the ball every time? Maybe, our depth is pretty good, but no opponent has tried that so far this year.

Going divisionless isn't going to help the Big Ten tho, it's just going to end up being Ohio State/Michigan playing back-to-back weeks to end the season, where only the second game matters. Who wants to see that? I'm betting conference title games won't be around for much longer once the expanded playoffs come along . . .

I don't think LSU's QB getting hurt influenced the outcome there. They only had twelve yards on eight plays in the two possessions before he went out so their offense already had been stopped, and they only had one more possession after he got hurt so they would have had to score touchdowns on both of those drives without Alabama answering. Possible, but not very realistic . . .

In happier news, we won the west \o/ One last time : (

I know teams will wind up playing themselves out, they always do. But as of right now it looks like there might be too many teams for the available slots . . .

There was a lot of talk last year about the implications of playing Michigan twice (the second time being in the playoff). With the gap of a month+, I was in the "not a bad thing" camp. There have been championship games that were rematches, and it's always a challenge to beat a good team twice.

Two consecutive weeks, yeah, that would be a bit odd, not sure how that would go down. Penn State needs to finally get good enough to be one of the top two teams occasionally to add some variety! Or Iowa needs to find a way to have a good offense to complement their defense. They won 22-0 today against Rutgers, a good result, and are now clear favorites to win their division.

OSU-Michigan State was a blowout as expected, although our offense did poorly in the second half, even considering it was backups. Still, the starters did great, by far the most complete half they've played. Definitely helps to have everyone healthy, and the defense, which was down a couple starters, was fantastic.

Duke-North Carolina was a great game to watch. 47-45 in triple overtime, and multiple lead changes in the 4th quarter as well. Sometimes it's fun to watch those games where the defenses aren't top tier and quick changes like that can and do happen.

Didn't see Arizona-Colorado but that one had an exciting finish too. Several other close games as well, and I don't know what happened to Tennessee and Oklahoma State.

It's a fool's errand to try to predict things with 3 weeks left (including championship games), but the way I see it if there are no upsets (which there almost certainly will be, the question is to whom) is:

1. Georgia (unless they lose to Bama...)
2. Winner of Ohio State versus Michigan (unless they lose to Iowa...)
3. Florida State (unless they lose...)
4. Washington (unless they lose...)

That's the easy one, only 4 Power Five teams can win out, and the Big Ten doesn't get two teams in this year.

If two of the five current lossless Power Five teams win, then yeah, there's a potential plethora of well-qualified one-loss teams.

Texas? Oregon? Alabama? Louisville??? They all either need help or need to provide their own help. But indeed, if Oregon and Washington both have one loss, and Georgia and Alabama, and Ohio State and Michigan, and Florida State and Louisville, and Texas... we could have nine one-loss teams. Which I suppose is a scenario that favors a 10-or-12-team playoff over an 8-team playoff or a 4-team playoff.

I don't know who I'd pick in that situation, probably depends on the margins of the games.

Okay, best sequence of plays so far this season, didn't see it live, but in Utah-Washington, how Washington snatched a safety from the jaws of a touchdown. ESPN has the video of this hilarious sequence:

Absolutely amazing. Never seen anything like it. The pick-almost-six, the dropping the football at the 1-yard line to celebrate, the crowd going wild thinking their defense just scored, the coach in the headset and sunglasses giving the guy who caught the interception the "you idiot!" speech, the Utah guy realizing it's a live ball, and then Washington still getting two points out of it.

Only thing that could've made it better was if Utah managed to return it the other way for a touchdown.

If we end up with three undefeated teams and a bunch of one-loss teams, I'd say that's more of an argument that four teams is too many rather than not enough. Different perspectives I guess . . .

Okay, best sequence of plays so far this season, didn't see it live, but in Utah-Washington, how Washington snatched a safety from the jaws of a touchdown. ESPN has the video of this hilarious sequence:

Absolutely amazing. Never seen anything like it. The pick-almost-six, the dropping the football at the 1-yard line to celebrate, the crowd going wild thinking their defense just scored, the coach in the headset and sunglasses giving the guy who caught the interception the "you idiot!" speech, the Utah guy realizing it's a live ball, and then Washington still getting two points out of it.

Only thing that could've made it better was if Utah managed to return it the other way for a touchdown.
I did watch the game. The guy dropped the ball - deliberately- on about the 2 yard line. Wasn’t even close ha. Just ridiculous. I have seen that a couple if times in the past. Hope the coached chewed him out and benched him.

12 team playoff will be great. Conference championship games are about money.

Regardless, I too don’t like where college football is headed. ACC will get destroyed in the near future and likely the Big 12. 2 super conferences and the NCAA will go away. The destruction of the PAC is just stoopid. Not good for football, terrible for other sports, and worse for students and fans.

I am glad for that guy that Washington won anyway. He never would have lived that down if Utah had won as a result. Not that he's going to live it down regardless, but since they won it's going to be a funny "man, I was so stupid, celebrating early" story later on and not a "entering the transfer portal five minutes after the game and never returning to the state of Washington" story.

So, Harbaugh and U of M have accepted a 3-game suspension, i.e. through the end of the regular season. Will be disappointing to not see him throwing his headset in a bit over a week.

I can't help but feel like this is only the first chapter, though. What's the NCAA going to find? While so far nothing has emerged that has directly tied Harbaugh to the advanced scouting (although his not knowing anything still seems implausible), what about the assistant coaches? Surely some of them were directly involved, after all, there's no point in knowing the opponent's signs if you aren't going to change what you do in reaction to that, and the play callers are the ones who are going to be making those adjustments. If Harbaugh really didn't know anything about it and just thought his assistants were geniuses, three games for him may be appropriate, but there should be a much tougher penalty for anyone who was actively involved.

And if U of M does make it to the Playoff, it's going to be a big cloud hanging over their head. I think we're still at a point where the only way you can be confident they don't have an advantage is to not use any signs that you used before the scandal broke. Who's to say one of the play callers doesn't know, "hey, that trick play that [potential playoff opponent] ran in week 2 so effectively, its sign is [describe sign here]". Just because Stalions won't be on the sideline to refresh their memory doesn't mean they can't use any knowledge he's already sent them.

In other news, the Pac-2 is looking into schedule coordination with the Mountain West over the next couple of years. I'm glad the Beavers and Cougars got control of the conference, it will be interesting to see what they can make of it. I can't really think of a better alternative than working with the Mountain West.

Michigan accepted the three game suspension to prevent a stayed suspension extending into the postseason. They also avoided the discovery process an actual court case would have required, which probably pleased the Big Ten as much as Michigan. The NCAA investigation will reveal nothing as the NCAA lacks subpoena power. There is no chance any future opponent would be affected by this since the scandal broke bc why would you continue using the same signals in that case? Moving forward this is a big nothing. It's weird that you're so focused on it . . .

So... who does everyone think will win the national championship?

Michigan, who looked unbeatable for 10 weeks and won closer games against Maryland and Ohio State?

Washington, who has an uncanny ability to win close games?

Texas, who beat Alabama by 10 but lost to Oklahoma?

Alabama, who saved their season on 4th-and-31 against Auburn, and then beat a Georgia team that had been ranked #1 all season?

Florida State, whose 13-0 record wasn't enough to make the official playoff, but now has a chance to beat Georgia by more than Alabama did, and potentially wind up as the only undefeated team from the Power 5 at the end of the season?

I'm rooting for Florida State to beat Georgia by at least 4, and preferably Texas, but failing that, Alabama, to win the best-of-four-playoff. They were one of the four most deserving teams, proved they have an elite defense that can win games against good offenses, and should have been given a chance.

The Committee probably should have just assigned two sides of a die to each of Texas, Alabama, and Florida State, and rolled it on national TV, and excluded whoever's number came up. Would've been a more fair way to determine who got left out than denying Florida State a chance because their top two QBs got hurt and they continued to win. Especially when "they just kept winning" was their justification for Liberty over SMU as the Group of 5 pick.

Michigan and Washington were locks, and for the remaining two spots I can understand the arguments for any of FSU, Texas, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State to be included or excluded. So I can understand the committee picking Texas or Alabama to the exclusion of the other -- Texas has the head-to-head and Alabama wins on resume, and we've included teams that didn't earn their way in every year of the four-team playoff so nbd that we're doing it again -- but leaving FSU out was inexcusable to me. It's the first time since we went to four teams that they have left out a team that deserved to be there. And again I can understand why they did it, it was a television decision. FSU would have been destroyed by any of the four teams the committee picked, just as they'll be destroyed in the Orange if UGA shows up/doesn't have opt outs. But in my opinion this is the first hard fail the four team playoffs have given us. FSU scheduled up with LSU ooc despite the fact that they already play Florida ooc every year, and they won every game on their schedule. They earned the right to lose that semifinal game against whoever. My four teams would have been Michigan, Washington, FSU and Texas, based on the head-to-head . . .

As for the teams they did pick, I don't see a clear favorite so in that sense the committee got it right. The only team I'd be willing to pick against would be Washington, as the only team of the four with a below average defense . . .

EDIT: Fun Fact: Since Michigan and Alabama are actually playing in the Rose Bowl this year it's fun to note that Alabama has only three fewer Rose Bowl victories than Michigan does, despite the fact that they stopped inviting the SEC to the Rose Bowl decades ago ; p

Last edited:
Top Bottom