• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

2K should fix some of these CS things

Another thing that ties into the now better but still not that good diplomacy:

Warsaw is under my protection and gets invaded by the Turks.
I ask them what they want to make peace. They say they can't make that deal.
I wait a couple of turns. I demand they make peace with Warsaw. They refuse.
When the siege of Warsaw looks like it's going to end with the CS being conquered I finally declare war on the Ottomans. I kill off their units and start marching towards their borders. They offer me gold for peace and I accept.
After declaring war on a civ for attacking a CS that I had previously pledged to protect I am now a warmongering menace to the world.

Another "protection" related thing: you are ally to a CS, and pledge protection. Few turns later, an AI civ at war coups in the city state, so it declares war on the AIs enemy. You buy the CS back to ally, and it goes to peace. But now they think YOU have broken your protection promise!

(Ok, realistically, I could've spent more gold to get high influence, thereby "protecting" them from coups...but in practice thats not always possible, and not totally safe anyway).

After declaring war on a civ for attacking a CS that I had previously pledged to protect I am now a warmongering menace to the world.

Yeah, I still think there should be a pop up menu when a CS you are protecting is attacked that includes an option of "come to the aid of your friend," which declares war on the aggressor. If you do that, you get no penalty for declaring war. You are still subject to warmonger penalties if you conquer their cities, of course, but that's it.

Somewhat unrelated, but I also wish that Cultural and Religious (and even Maritime/Commerce to a lesser extent) CS's would have a very strong propensity to NOT be hostile. Military - sure. But I'm tired of meeting Vatican City and having them be hostile.

Well, Cultural includes Milan, which, at one point, tried to conquer all of Italy. It also includes Venice, which fought plenty of wars of aggression.

On a related note, I wish CS would bring back the "attack another CS" option, even if rare. I've also always thought they should attack each other if neighbors even without a request for a bigger power to join in and they should only ask for help if their private war is going nowhere. It would be more realistic this way.

Top Bottom